Bug Reports and Technical Issues

I get a crash to desktop here (on a non-modded game):
What version of the game is that from? I'm getting a crash trying to open this. Do you have a save from a previous turn maybe?

In 1.16 with VD, Argentine grenadier cavalries throw grenades when they are selected in the sleep state. It is an art problem, does not affect the gameplay itself but looks hilarious.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG
    302.2 KB · Views: 869
Here's a bug when Prussia spawns. In 1695ad, Holy Romen has Brandenburg(berlin) in this plot, but in 1700ad, the city disappears when Prussia spawns.
But, when Mughal spawns in Delhi, and Argentina spawns in Buenos Aires, those cities remain exist. Why Berlin can't exist like them?
Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG

Attachments

• Mehmed II AD-1290 Turn 250.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.2 MB · Views: 188
So I've looked back a bit, but am not finding a solution. I can't start DoC. I've played this mod probably a thousand times, but not in the last few years. I just downloaded DoC 1.16 to my Windows 10 computer (I've tried it on another Windows 10 machine too, with the same issues), and have BTS on steam, version 3.19. I also went to the "beta" original release version. I have put the "RFC Dawn of Civilization" folder in "Beyond the Sword\Mods". I can start BTS fine, and then go to advanced>mods, and see DoC there. I double click it, and the base game quits (as it always does with mods) but DoC doesn't start - nothing happens. Steam says BTS is running, but when I go to the task manager, there is nothing. Sorry if I am missing a question that answered above, and please let me know if there is anything else I can describe. Thanks!

So I've looked back a bit, but am not finding a solution. I can't start DoC. I've played this mod probably a thousand times, but not in the last few years. I just downloaded DoC 1.16 to my Windows 10 computer (I've tried it on another Windows 10 machine too, with the same issues), and have BTS on steam, version 3.19. I also went to the "beta" original release version. I have put the "RFC Dawn of Civilization" folder in "Beyond the Sword\Mods". I can start BTS fine, and then go to advanced>mods, and see DoC there. I double click it, and the base game quits (as it always does with mods) but DoC doesn't start - nothing happens. Steam says BTS is running, but when I go to the task manager, there is nothing. Sorry if I am missing a question that answered above, and please let me know if there is anything else I can describe. Thanks!

By "in the Task Manager", do you mean the one that only shows the main programs, or all the processes that are running (aka "more details")?

If you can see the process open, that just means it's still loading and you have to wait.

Have you checked background processes as well?

Here's a bug when Prussia spawns. In 1695ad, Holy Romen has Brandenburg(berlin) in this plot, but in 1700ad, the city disappears when Prussia spawns.
But, when Mughal spawns in Delhi, and Argentina spawns in Buenos Aires, those cities remain exist. Why Berlin can't exist like them?
That's because Berlin (on the exact plot) is required for the Prussian UHV.
I believe this mechanic also applies to most cities that is a requirement for any UHVs - Paris, Amsterdam, Cordoba, etc.
Funnily enough, it doesn't apply to Mexico City and Buenos Aires, although they are also required for Mexican/Argentine UHVs.

I believe this mechanic also applies to most cities that is a requirement for any UHVs - Paris, Amsterdam, Cordoba, etc.
Funnily enough, it doesn't apply to Mexico City and Buenos Aires, although they are also required for Mexican/Argentine UHVs.
It doesn't apply to Paris. Play as Rome and Lutetia exists, when France spawn, it's still here and rename to Paris.
Also Tenocititlan, play as Maya and build it, still here when Aztec spawns.

Also, as stated, isn't Brandenburg on the Berlin Plot? I thought Civ-Specific name changes were a thing

Selecting Monarchy as USA makes the civ name to become 'Confederate States of America'. But AFAIK CSA was not a monarchy..

I get a crash to desktop when I press enter here. It's a reload basically right at the time I win the UHV: I triggered the UHV, saw the score and all that. Then, I reloaded the game to that winning turn, when I press enter again (to trigger the UHV again), it crashes.

Attachments

• Ramesses II AD-0170 Turn 152.CivBeyondSwordSave
    446.9 KB · Views: 166
Question: I'm trying to update my git repository. When I select pull, remote origin, remote branch map, and I get this message:
"another git repository seems to be running in this repository. please make sure all processes are terminated. if it still fails, a git process may have crashed in this repository earlier: remove the file manually to continue."

what's the file I need to remove??

Try .git/index.lock.

Tried that, didn't work. I cloned a new repository from scratch, then pulled the map branch (without making any other changes) and got this error message:

git.exe pull --progress -v --no-rebase "origin" map
From https://github.com/dguenms/Dawn-of-Civilization
* branch map -> FETCH_HEAD
= [up to date] map -> origin/map
Auto-merging CvGameCoreDLL/CvPlot.cpp
Auto-merging CvGameCoreDLL/CvInfos.h
Auto-merging CvGameCoreDLL/CvGameTextMgr.cpp
Auto-merging Assets/CvGameCoreDLL.dll
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in Assets/CvGameCoreDLL.dll
Removing Assets/Art/Terrain/Features/Rainforest/Leafy14_01.nif
Automatic merge failed; fix conflicts and then commit the result.
warning: Cannot merge binary files: Assets/CvGameCoreDLL.dll (HEAD vs. f77ebae62974c68dc4e09678b749b0686d41cdef)

git did not exit cleanly (exit code 1) (22062 ms @ 9/30/2019 9:18:39 PM)

How concerned should I be that 30% to 50% of civilization collapses and respawns result in Python exceptions and CtDs? I'm not exaggerating. Once civilizations have been around long enough to become unstable, the game can rarely advance more than twenty turns without experiencing Python exceptions.

1. I remember these exceptions and crashes happening on earlier versions of DoC, but I don't remember them happening this often. Am I the only person this happens to? Is this just the way the mod works? Or is there a hex on my computer? After all, I couldn't get the installer to work and Leoreth had to send me to the leftover RAR ...

2. That being said, it's not a crippling issue, because the exceptions almost never recur on reloading from a save. So, if the game crashes on Turn 180, I only have to reload an auto-save, and the Python exceptions will not occur on hitting Turn 180 again. (Only once, I believe, did I get two exceptions back to back on a reload, and the third time I got past without the exception.) Better still, the exceptions occur the turn before the CtD, so I usually have the chance to reload an earlier save without actually running into a CtD.

Bottom-line, I can live with the exceptions and reloads. But I'm wondering if this is expected behavior, and if it isn't, is there some solution?

How concerned should I be that 30% to 50% of civilization collapses and respawns result in Python exceptions and CtDs? I'm not exaggerating. Once civilizations have been around long enough to become unstable, the game can rarely advance more than twenty turns without experiencing Python exceptions.

1. I remember these exceptions and crashes happening on earlier versions of DoC, but I don't remember them happening this often. Am I the only person this happens to? Is this just the way the mod works? Or is there a hex on my computer? After all, I couldn't get the installer to work and Leoreth had to send me to the leftover RAR ...

2. That being said, it's not a crippling issue, because the exceptions almost never recur on reloading from a save. So, if the game crashes on Turn 180, I only have to reload an auto-save, and the Python exceptions will not occur on hitting Turn 180 again. (Only once, I believe, did I get two exceptions back to back on a reload, and the third time I got past without the exception.) Better still, the exceptions occur the turn before the CtD, so I usually have the chance to reload an earlier save without actually running into a CtD.

Bottom-line, I can live with the exceptions and reloads. But I'm wondering if this is expected behavior, and if it isn't, is there some solution?
What system are you using?
I used to have this exact same issue while playing on Linux using wine. The mod works perfectly fine on Windows 7 and 10 though, it can even load the saves one turn before the Python exception and play past the point where the game would've CtDed with wine. Having to dual boot just to play DoC is a bit annoying TBH but I can live with it, and it's certainly better than not being able to get past the early medieval era without a CtD.

Tried that, didn't work. I cloned a new repository from scratch, then pulled the map branch (without making any other changes) and got this error message:

git.exe pull --progress -v --no-rebase "origin" map
From https://github.com/dguenms/Dawn-of-Civilization
* branch map -> FETCH_HEAD
= [up to date] map -> origin/map
Auto-merging CvGameCoreDLL/CvPlot.cpp
Auto-merging CvGameCoreDLL/CvInfos.h
Auto-merging CvGameCoreDLL/CvGameTextMgr.cpp
Auto-merging Assets/CvGameCoreDLL.dll
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in Assets/CvGameCoreDLL.dll
Removing Assets/Art/Terrain/Features/Rainforest/Leafy14_01.nif
Automatic merge failed; fix conflicts and then commit the result.
warning: Cannot merge binary files: Assets/CvGameCoreDLL.dll (HEAD vs. f77ebae62974c68dc4e09678b749b0686d41cdef)

git did not exit cleanly (exit code 1) (22062 ms @ 9/30/2019 9:18:39 PM)
Are you sure there aren't files left before the clone? Another thing you should have tried first is deleting the entire .git folder.

Top Bottom