Bug Reports and Technical Issues

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Mxzs

Mxzs Prince

I'm still playing on Windows XP, which I have as a Bootcamp installation on a Mac. And Civ IV -- RFC and its mods -- is the only reason I have XP, so I've seen no reason to upgrade.

2. Imperator101

Imperator101 Chieftain

Hi, I love the mod and really want to get it working on my laptop, it uses windows 10 and I am using steam. I've downloaded the version 1.16 and have run the installer with no problem while my civ bts build is 3.19 and i have followed the instructions to resore to the original version of the game on steam. However, when I run the RFC Dawn of Civilization short-cut there is an error message which reads- ' Mods\RFC\ is an invalid mod directory, ignoring ' and when I launch bts and attempt to launch the mod this way its nowhere to be found. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

3. ozqar

ozqar King

Well I created a new folder from scratch. So in theory any files in the folder are only those that were taken through the cloning, right? I get that message when trying to pull the map branch. I was wondering if the message didn't mean that there was a problem with the origin folder instead (since I made zero changes before clicking pull on the map branch).

4. Leoreth

Leoreth Friend Next Door Moderator

Are you sure the mod is in the right directory? It belongs in Beyond the Sword/Mods/, not My Documents/Beyond the Sword/Mods/

I thought the errors appeared when you cloned the repository?

5. Imperator101

Imperator101 Chieftain

Thanks for the quick reply! :D
    the directory is= C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods
    Is this correct? Because I'm still having issues with this directory and its definitely not in my documents
    Also in this RFC DoC folder there is a folder called private maps instead to public maps which is what is in other mod folders, not sure if that is normal or not.

There is another location here where the maps folder is named public maps- C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Mods

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  6. ozqar

ozqar King

Oh... Sorry, I'm not super familiar with the terminology (nor with git, at all), so I might have explained things poorly or incorrectly. I'll try to explain again.

I have two folders of the mod. One is the 1.16 which I don't edit and which I use to play. Another folder is the one which I use to check out the map developments. So a couple of days ago I was checking those map changes and it was all good and perfect, so that folder used to work well.

Now, at one point I wanted to open the new editor for the city name maps, and when I entered "from MapUtils import *" in the python console, it told me the MapUtils function did not exist. I figured I needed to update my folder to get it. So I tried a pull request (although, I have no idea what I clicked on initially, because the thing is very confusing to me. So I tried fetch, pull, switch/check out, etc., hoping one would work to update my game (Only later I understood that I wanted the pull function, after finding an "explain it like I'm five" guide to git). In any case, at some point I was pulling the map branch, and got the initial error message (that there was another git process running). I tried deleting several files, including the index one, but nothing worked.

So I figured I messed up my folder because of clicking everywhere. No problem. I right clicked on the desktop and made a new folder using the clone function. Since the default option that comes up there is the develop branch, I made a pull to the map branch. It was at this point that I got this long message I pasted here earlier, telling me of these conflicting files. I thought that, since I had made no changes at all to my folder and the first thing I did with this new copy of the mod was to make the pull request, perhaps the problem (this time) was in the original folder that I'm cloning from.

Edit: Never mind, I finally managed it to work. I clicked on switch check out and then scrolled down to the map branch... and it worked. Right before trying that I tried again with the pull function, but I got the same error message that I pasted here before about the long list of conflict files

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  7. Leoreth

No, that sounds right. Can you tell me what the mod directory is named?

Ah, that makes more sense. Just some clarification on the terminology:
    - clone: getting an entirely new repository (i.e. folder) from remote
    - fetch: updates information about an existing repository, e.g. which branches exist etc.
    - checkout: change the current branch in your local repository
    - switch: is not an official "git word" but it's sometimes used as synonym for checkout
    - pull <branch>: basically means "get whatever from the online <branch> and add it on top of the current local branch". Usually you want to use this when the local branch and the specified remote branch are the same, in that case you will get updates without an issue (unless you messed with the local files). The conflicts you saw often happen when the pulled branch and the current branch are different.

ozqar likes this.
  8. Imperator101

Imperator101 Chieftain

RFC Dawn of Civilization for both.

9. Leoreth

How weird. What happens when you go to Private Maps and double click one of the scenario files there?

10. JHLee

JHLee Prince

There is a Confucian temple in Shenyang in the 1700ad Scenario, although Confucianism is not present in the city.

canexpthat, 1SDAN and Leoreth like this.
  11. Imperator101

Imperator101 Chieftain

RFC 600 AD
    RFC 1700 AD
    RFC 3000 BC

Managed to figure it out, I went into load mod and managed to get it to load that way :D

12. Leoreth

Great that this works at least!

13. JHLee

JHLee Prince

seven.jpg six.jpg
    On the year 1700AD, the Victory Screen checks the 'Colonize Siberia' goal as completed regardless of whether I really have 7 cities in Siberia. This happens only on the year 1700ad, and the game correctly says I have failed the goal on End Turn. Maybe this has to do with some tweaks you made to enable Russian UHV on the 1700AD Scenario, and those tweaks are causing problems for other scenarios?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    1SDAN and Leoreth like this.
  14. Leoreth

Could be, will look into it.

1SDAN and JHLee like this.
  15. Sinsyne

Sinsyne Up is down,black is white

Is that supposed to happen?

16. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

It's very common if not.

17. Leoreth

What exactly is the issue?

18. Sinsyne

Sinsyne Up is down,black is white

Nevermind, I thought I once read in the update log that great people can no longer spawn for natives and barbarians, guess I misremembered.

Leoreth likes this.
  19. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

The turks lost a city, collapsed, and then collapsed to nothing. I don't know much about this area of the code, is the collapse message only for AI collapses to core, or all forms of collapse, including collapse to nothing?

20. KeeperOT7Keys

KeeperOT7Keys did nothing wrong

I think it might have been noticed before or maybe it is intentional, but oghuz's can stay in a rival city for healing unless you are at war, which is weird imo.
    I was just pillaging India and just entered pataliputra to heal faster.

1SDAN and Leoreth like this.