• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Bug Reports and Technical Issues

I do not like the way the protection of newly spawned civilizations works with game version 1.16.6.
New civilizations seems to have a period of x turns where you can not declare war on them, fine I can see that this protection is needed.
But after these turns have ended they seems to have a secondary protection where you can not take their cities, only kill off all their troops and anything else in it (workers, ships, etc.).
But the city itself remains impossible to invade. After that you have no idea when you can invade it.
In my Greece game I declared war on Phoenicia as soon as I could (the normal way), but only after waiting several turns and declaring peace, wait for the peace treaty to end, could I finally invade the city the second time around.
Later in the same game Persia declared war on me some turns after their newbie protection ended. But again I could not invade all their cities (I think it was only the last one).
I also see that the troops during this secondary protection always withdraws the first time you attack and "win". So you have to attack the same troop twice within the same turn to kill it.

My suggestion is to get rid of this secondary protection all together as it makes for a very confusing gameplay.
Rather increase the number of turns where you can not declare war on them at all.

V1.16.6, Catholicism is founded way too early, the requirements are not met. Might be an issue linked to Orthodoxy? Because if I remove Orthodoxy from that specific city with the WorldBuilder the turn before, Catholicism is not founded. Although this workaround did not work in all my previous cases.
The save is 1 turn before it is founded.
I have seen this issue multiple times. Now it's in Egypt, but I have had other cases in Rome and Celtic cities as well.

Attachments

• Sargon BC-0449 Turn 338.CivBeyondSwordSave
    381.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
V1.16.6, Catholicism is founded way too early, the requirements are not met. Might be an issue linked to Orthodoxy? Because if I remove Orthodoxy from that specific city with the WorldBuilder the turn before, Catholicism is not founded. Although this workaround did not work in all my previous cases.
The save is 1 turn before it is founded.
I have seen this issue multiple times. Now it's in Egypt, but I have had other cases in Rome and Celtic cities as well.
What do you consider too early? The founding condition for Catholicism is that more cities with Orthodoxy are outside of civs with Orthodox state religion than inside.

What do you consider too early? The founding condition for Catholicism is that more cities with Orthodoxy are outside of civs with Orthodox state religion than inside.
Oh, my bad then. I thought it was a technology requirement. Thnx for the clarification

3 ways to found catholic: 1.research doctrine. 2.10+ orthodox city, more than half under heretic control. 3.build a cathedral as orthodox. :)

Has anyone ever actually founded Catholicism or Buddhism by researching their associated techs? They're pretty far in the tech tree compared to the other triggers.

Has anyone ever actually founded Catholicism or Buddhism by researching their associated techs? They're pretty far in the tech tree compared to the other triggers.
I have in my current game, both as Babylonia, inspired by this thread. I am playing on Marathon though.
For Buddhism I use the Oracle (Priesthood and Philosophy). This is possible since I researched Literature already before, using the Babylonian UP to get Writing and Arithmetics. I prefer games where I get a technology from a goody hut but this is not necessary per se.
For Catholicism I build a city in South Africa inspired by the thread I mentioned before. Although since I only learned recently that Catholicism is founded when more than half are under non Christian-control, I changed my strategy to found Orthodoxy later than I used to.

Last edited:
The tech requirements only exist as fallback in case their other condition does not come to pass.

The tech requirements only exist as fallback in case their other condition does not come to pass.
Why doesn't discovering the Hindu tech as Babylon found Hinduism? (It's one of the techs Babylon needs for their UHV, don't remember which one). I'm glad that it doesn't (since Hindu Babylon is ahistorical), but what is the other requirement to found Hinduism?

Why doesn't discovering the Hindu tech as Babylon found Hinduism? (It's one of the techs Babylon needs for their UHV, don't remember which one). I'm glad that it doesn't (since Hindu Babylon is ahistorical), but what is the other requirement to found Hinduism?
You need a city in India :) Historical location

You need a city in India :) Historical location
I like it! When I discovered the tech as Babylon last night I was worried it would lead me to found Hinduism, which I didn't want. I'm glad Leoreth set it up so that Hinduism could only be founded in India, one of the things that bothered me the most about original RFC was seeing things like Taoist Greece.

Hello There, I'm returning to this mod after a while. Last time I played the mod still used custom scenarios.

600AD and 1700AD starts give me QTD.

3000BC start gives me python errors, then I start with a map with no features. Error log and screen shot are attached.

This happens for me on the Git versions of the mod.

My Civ4 version is GOG's Complete version (with Colonization).

Thank you for your eternal efforts Leoreth! I wish I could try out those new features.

Edit: I cannot attach the PythonErr.log file, so I paste its contents here.

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "Dawn_of_Civilization", line 70, in getGridSize

File "Dawn_of_Civilization", line 60, in prepareMap

File "Parsers", line 15, in parseScenarioMap

File "MapParser", line 42, in read

IOError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument
ERR: Python function getGridSize failed, module Dawn_of_Civilization

File "Dawn_of_Civilization", line 77, in beforeGeneration

NameError: global name 'PARSER' is not defined
ERR: Python function beforeGeneration failed, module Dawn_of_Civilization

File "Dawn_of_Civilization", line 80, in generateRandomMap

ERR: Python function generateRandomMap failed, module Dawn_of_Civilization

File "Dawn_of_Civilization", line 90, in addRivers

ERR: Python function addRivers failed, module Dawn_of_Civilization

File "Dawn_of_Civilization", line 84, in addFeatures

ERR: Python function addFeatures failed, module Dawn_of_Civilization

File "Dawn_of_Civilization", line 87, in addBonuses

ERR: Python function addBonuses failed, module Dawn_of_Civilization

File "Dawn_of_Civilization", line 103, in afterGeneration

ERR: Python function afterGeneration failed, module Dawn_of_Civilization

Attachments

• NoMap.png
    NoMap.png
    690.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Have you tried to use the installer to get the mod?

I won the UHV as Harappa in the current stable release (1.16.6, I think is what it is called, the most recent version with the installer), easy difficulty, marathon speed, it froze up and crashed when I won.

Please upload a save of the final turn before the victory is completed.

Have you tried to use the installer to get the mod?
Yes, with the 1.16.6 version. Same result.

I will try again.

Edit: 1.16.6 from Installer works fine! No errors for any of the start dates.

In the past I've always played the SVN/Git version. It's nice to know the Installer is a good backup option!

Last edited:
Greece is pretty good at winning everything involving great people.

Top Bottom