[Building, Ancient] 3 Missing Ancient Wonders

Sevo

Leaf on the Wind
Of the 7 ancient wonders of the world, 4 were included in Vanilla (Hanging gardens of Babylon, Pyramids, Collosus of Rhodes, Great Lighthouse). That left three: Mausoleum of Masollous, Statue of Zeus, and Temple of Artemis. So I've started modelling the other three. I'll post here as they get finished. I'm also creating wonder movies to go with them (once you've got the model the rest is pretty easy, after all).

Temple of Artemis at Epheseus
I did this before I realized the Temple of Artemis would be included in Warlords; but it's a nice mesh and after all not everyone will get Warlords, so here she is. Anyway, I did my best to create a historically accurate representation within the constraints of game functionality and the consensus opinion of what it actually looked like. This is my favorite model to date.

Polys: 998
Pictured here in the editor and in the game

Here's some screen shots of the video I made for the Temple:

Download link for Temple of Artemis Wonder Movie:Download

Attachments

• artemis.zip
    78 KB · Views: 946
Looks good to me. Ever thought of making the palace building actually look decent? Could create civ specific palaces. Anyway, good luck with the rest. The statue of Zeus at Olympia is one ill be looking out for.

What benefits would you suggest the wonders give?

I must say it's exceptionally good, if I was told this was to be with the expantion, I would have believed it without doubt!:goodjob:

Good Job Sevo, and see what you can do about improving some vanilla wonders that are already in the game.

Its going to be difficult to make the 3 greek temples (parthanon/artemis/zues) look different from each other. You have dont a nice job on this one by making it a bit wider and squarer and giving its roof a different color. But I fear it will be hard to do the same with the statue. Thus I propose that rather radical idea of actualy making the statue in the open air rather then within a temple. I know its not at all historicaly acurate but its visualy more unique to have a statue then a 3rd columbed temple.

As for Temple of Artimus I was thinking that with the change they made to the Pyrimids we lack a free Granary in every city building so why not have it with this temple, it even makes a tiny amount of logical sense (unlike the pyrimd) as Artemus was the godess of fertility.

I am having trouble getting this to display correctly, I havent done much much with Artdefine tags in XML. When I first set it up I got the buildings "skin" as the button and nothing apeared when I placed it with WB, and what is Marble.dds for? Could someone who know this stuff show me an example of a properly configured ArtDefine tag that I can use, I have the buildings main XML entry done and its effects firing off in the game theirs just nothing to see.

Impaler[WrG] said:
Its going to be difficult to make the 3 greek temples (parthanon/artemis/zues) look different from each other.

If this pic is correct, the Mausoleum looks different from most temples.

Impaler[WrG] said:
I am having trouble getting this to display correctly, I havent done much much with Artdefine tags in XML. When I first set it up I got the buildings "skin" as the button and nothing apeared when I placed it with WB, and what is Marble.dds for? Could someone who know this stuff show me an example of a properly configured ArtDefine tag that I can use, I have the buildings main XML entry done and its effects firing off in the game theirs just nothing to see.

As Maniac points out, the Mausoleum was thought to be more square and should be distinct. But I totally agree with you on the Zeus wonder: I was already thinking I should just do the statue itself.

I'm not sure why it isn't displaying for you; some of your paths might be incorrect.

Impaler [WrG], create a folder in Assets/Art/Structures/Buildings called "Artemis." In that folder place the 3 files that Sevo has uploaded. Do not rename them.

In the CIV4ArtDefines_Building.xml file make sure to create a new entry for this building. Here is mine:
Code:
<BuildingArtInfo>
			<Type>ART_DEF_BUILDING_ARTEMIS_TEMPLE</Type>
			<bAnimated>0</bAnimated>
			<fScale>0.25</fScale>
			<fInterfaceScale>0.5</fInterfaceScale>
			<NIF>Art/Structures/Buildings/Artemis/artemis.nif</NIF>
			<KFM/>
			<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Buildings/Parthenon.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Buildings_Atlas.dds,7,5</Button>
		</BuildingArtInfo>

Now all you've got to do is create a new building "Temple of Artemis" and make sure you reference the artdefine tag as "ART_DEF_BUILDING_ARTEMIS_TEMPLE." It should display properly :)

By the way Sevo, excellent building. I just added it into TAM ;)

Don't know if you've heard it yet Sevo, but they have Firaxis added Temple of Artemis wonder to Warlords. Still, I might actually end up using your temple, because I just had a look at the great library model and it doesn't have any pillars! It's just a texture on a flat wall. Now, I know they need to save up on poly's but it's a wonder, only one at any time in game, they could've at least given it real pillars in the front. So yeah, anyway, if their temple is just a box with pillar textures then I'll definitely grab yours instead. :D

Rabbit said:
Don't know if you've heard it yet Sevo, but they have Firaxis added Temple of Artemis wonder to Warlords. Still, I might actually end up using your temple, because I just had a look at the great library model and it doesn't have any pillars! It's just a texture on a flat wall. Now, I know they need to save up on poly's but it's a wonder, only one at any time in game, they could've at least given it real pillars in the front. So yeah, anyway, if their temple is just a box with pillar textures then I'll definitely grab yours instead. :D

Yeah, I just heard about that. I had already created the wonder movie, too. Oh well, I can replace the temple with another wonder in the scene and use it for something else. We shall see...

Also I saw a warlords screen shot which had a building that I am SHURE is the Mauselum (looked just like that picture) so its probably wise not to duplicate Firaxiss work their. Their are also a slew of pictures showing what must be the GreatWall snaking across the land (presumably it gets set at the edge of your cultural borders when you build it and cant move after that). As we know their only addin 3 wonders I would move ahead with making the Statue of Zues as elimination tells us Firaxis is not doing that one (assuming Rabbits information is correct).

Their are some nice ideas for non-western wonders on this thread
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=172169&page=3

I would add to this list 2 nice egyptian wonders that havent apeared yet in Civ

The Sphinx
Temple of Carnak

Well, to complete my Temple of Artemis wonder I'm posting the video I made that goes with it (this was actually completed about two weeks ago and only just recovered from my failed hard drive!).

I realize that with the advent of Warlords the Temple of Artemis will be included, but I'd already done the work so why not.

I plan to still do the Statue of Zues (as a statue), and potentially the Mausoleum of Masollos if it isn't included in Warlords.

Anyway, see the first post for the new d/l.

hehe, first download :)

I wish you'de upload a version in .mpg format or something so that we can see how it looks, I'm not in the mood to importing it into Civ4 to test it out. But, I'll check it out later.

Think you could write a tutorial for how to make one of those?

The screenshots look great Sevo :thumbsup: I agree with Shqype though, it would've been to nice to have an MPEG or AVI version.

Rabbit said:
The screenshots look great Sevo :thumbsup: I agree with Shqype though, it would've been to nice to have an MPEG or AVI version.

If you've got RAD Video tools you can directly play bink files (in addition to converting AVI/MPG to binks and whatnot).

Top Bottom