By a Single Decision (Alternate History)

das

Regeneration In Process
Introduction:

I tried myself in several styles, but decided that my true call (more or less) is Alternate History. So far, my most succesful PoDs were set in the Dark Age/pre-Medieval era. So here goes...

And btw - I hope nobody minds the "history book style" I plan to use most of the times...

A little note - the events described in the first chapter BEFORE the asterik really happened.

Chapter One:

In the 7th and 8th centuries AD, Islam continued to advance on all fronts. Having conquered Morocco, Musa ibn Nusair left his general, Tariq ibn Zeyad, to govern Tangiers. In early 8th century, just to the north from Morocco, the Visgoth Kingdom was in civil war ever since the death of king Witisza. Roderric usurped the throne and dispossesed the heirs. They did not hesitate too long, and asked for assistance. Tariq didn't hesitate neither - having gathered 7,000 soldiers, he crossed the straits between Tangiers and Iberia. His troops landed at a mountain, named after Tariq - "Jabal Tariq". Gibraltar.

Recruiting support from the Iberian Jews and the forces of the heirs, Tariq defeated Roderric's tired forces in July 711, at an undetermined location. After that, he conquered Cordoba and the Visgoth capital - Toledo. The heirs at first wanted to take the kingdom for themselves, but soon after, Musa himself arrived with 18,000 more soldiers. The heirs decided to abandon their ambitions "for the moment", but the moment never came. Meanwhile, the Arab forces occupied 2/3 of Iberia in three years.*

Albeit angered by the invasion of which he was not informed, and by the "misuse of the approportioned funds", the Caliph was persuaded by his religious advisors that the conquest of this land was not something to be punished. He summoned Musa and Tariq back to Damascus, and appointed Tariq the governor of Cordova, and, effectively, all of Iberia (OOC: in the real history, he stripped both of them of their ranks and they died in poverty).

By the time Tariq returned to Iberia, the Basque were the only remaining resistance. However, a new factor was soon added, when Pelayo, a Visgoth general, started a rebellion in his native Asturia. In 717, Tariq's forces put down his rebellions, and Pelayo was executted (OOC: in the real history, he was captured, but escaped to lead another rebellion). Albeit another, slightly weaker rebellion did happen next year, Tariq managed to isolate it by allying with the Basques. After the rebels attempted to flee to the mountains, they were attacked by Basque highlanders. As per the terms of alliance, Basques were allowed to keep their religion and were granted autonomy. Iberia was consolidated, and albeit some weaker rebellions did happen time to time, the tolerance, practiced by Arabian Caliphate, led to the decrease in militancy. The conversion to Islam amongst the Christians was rather widespread, especially since all the serfs who converted to Islam became free men. Tariq wisely decided to consolidate his hold on the territory, instead of attempting to advance farther north, but in 723, he died. The next governor, Abd ar-Rahman, persuaded the Caliph in the wisedom of advancing farther north. The Franks, he reasoned, are also filled with strife - just like Visegoths. Albeit it would be harder to conquer Acquitainia as it had a much smaller Jewish community, with enough troops, the region could be conquered for the Caliphate. The Caliph agreed.

Chapter Two:

Frankish lands of the time indeed were just a little more unified before the Arab threat. Albeit Charles Martel crushed all opposition in the civil war, his de-facto subjects were quite hostile to the major of the palace. Franks had many foes, perhaps the most threatening of whom were the Saxons. The Arab invasion came in the right moment, too - in 724, Duke Eudes of Acquitaine, a rebellious subject, realized that now that Charles crushed his opponents in Neustria and Austrasia, decided to plead for Arab assistance, not learning anything from the Visgoth example (or deciding that it's better an Arab puppet then a Frankish prisoner).

Led by Abd ar-Rahman al-Ghafiqi, 20,000 Arabs crossed the Pyrenees in early 725 (OOC: note that with the different history of early Islamic Spain, the invasion started 7 years earlier). Quickly, they took control over large parts of Acquitaine. Charles Martel was taken by surprise, and had to cancel his campaign against the Frisians to move against the unified Acquitainian and Arab armies that reached Loire in 726.

Having crossed the river in April 727, hastily-assembled Frankish armies managed to reach Limoges, where they were welcomed by the local population. Several skirmishes outside of the city took place between Franks and Arabs, but neither side was victorious. Finally, Charles Martel decided to take Bordeaux, the capital of Acquitaine. He crushed Duke Eudes in the Battle at Garonne, taking him prisoner, and besieged the city. However, people of Bordeaux were much less friendly towards the Franks, and resisted the siege fiercely. As his supplies ran short, Charles Martel had to allow his forces to loot and pillage the countryside, losing the support of peasantry. By the time Bordeaux fell, numerous peasant armies were assembled from the victims of Frankish forces, and slowed down Charles. The capture of Bordeaux did not have the expected effect - albeit the remaining Acquitainian regular forces surrendered, Acquitaine still had to be conquered.

In February 729, Charles Martel gave in to his advisors, and started a retreat towards Limoges, which was besieged by the Arabs. The Frankish garrison surrendered in March, and Charles Martel was cut off from Frankish lands. His forces triumphed in minor engagements with Arab forces, until Abd ar-Rahman received his reinforcements and attacked the Franks as they retreated towards Loire. A large amount of Frankish forces was slaughtered or scattered, but Charles escaped.

Back at home, the long campaign with large casualties and eventual defeat inspired Frisians, Bavarians and Neustrians to rebel. Charles Martel died in the Battle of Paris, and the unified French nation collapsed into Neustria, Burgundy and Austrasia.

Arabs, however, too suffered heavy casualties (and slight political instability back at home), and were not able to advance farther north. Their (unofficial) border was now on Loire and Rhone. Dependant Emirate of Garonne was officially established in 732.

Chapter Three.

Muslim West Europe in the rest of 8th Century was not particularily stable, but was much more stable then those regions were before the conquest. Ever since 732, the conversions to Islam were rather widespread in Acquitaine, but never as much as in Spain, where the Catholic Church had not the time to fortify properly. Nevertheless, Christian rebellions often happened in Acquitaine (in 735, a particularily large rebellion by local clans was subdued), and Asturians too attempted to rebel in Spain. Both rebellions failed.

Muslim settlers too were rather unloyal in many cases. Berbers, who settled in the moutainous territories, often tried to overthrow the urban Arabs, and different Arab factions feuded between each other. Two most powerful factions were Yaman and Qai, but al-Ghafiqi carefully balanced them agianst each other, preventing them from acting to overthrow him.

A spark that set off the long-awaited civil war came when the Umayyads in Syria were overthrown by the Abbasids, in 744. Another Abd 'ar-Rahman, an Umayyad prince, fled the purges to Spain and attempted to make a gamble for power a few years later. Allying with the Yamans and Berbers, he started a massive rebellion which soon spread through all of Spain. His namesake, however, managed to secure an alliance with the Qai and lesser clans, and recalled a large amount of his army from Acquitaine. The battles were indecisive or favoring the Umayyads, but finally, in 753, Yamans were crushed at Lisboa. One year later, in May 754, Abd 'ar-Rahman the Umayyad died in a skirmish. By 755, most of the major cities were retaken, Yamans were subdued, and thus only the Berbers still threatened peace, but their main stronghold at Oviedo was attacked by the Basques continuously. Andalusian Civil War was over by 759.

Nevertheless, Muslim Spain and Acquitaine experienced not only social advance and realtive stabilization, but also the advantages of Arab culture and science. Especially in Emirate of Garonne, Arab architecture soon supplanted most of the Frankish and Visgoth buildings. Muslim Spain also prospered from Mediterranean trade - and piracy. Berber pirates raided Italy, and even pillaged Ostia twice. Byzantine navy was not in its best shape, and most of the times, failed to catch or significantly defeat the pirates - nevertheless, Lombards and Byzantines repulsed all attempts of Berbers to establish a base in Italy. Indeed, soon enough, the Muslims realized that though the united Franks were no more, they found themselves a new powerful opponent in Lombardia...

Very nice das - enjoying immensely.

V

Quite naturally, this is not based on a real game. As for pictures... I might, if I find enough time from school and finding ways to screw up various nations in my NES, one day post a map of Europe after some more changes take place.

Don't kill me, please. Next chapter alittle later today.

OOC: I decided to go for a more story-like approach for this chapter - guess it's just that inspiration hit me. Either that, either this is a horrible mistake. Tell me which, please.

IC:

Chapter Four.

Liutprando Grandi inhaled the fresh air of Terni. Behind him was the camp, where his soldiers waited. Those soldiers were not yet legionaires of ancient days, but already not the dark and pagan barbarians their ancestors were. They guarded Italia, the new bastion of Lord's faith. Will guard it - if the man in front of him allows it.

In front of him stood an elderly man, Pope Zacharias. Albeit an ally in the religious struggle agaisnt Iconoclasm, and a man of much respect for both his position and his devotion to the faith, he was an opponent this day. For in 742, Liutprando (or Liudprand in the language of the Lombards) had to make the decision he postponned in 730. Back then, there was another Pope - Saint Gregory II. And he too stood in the path of an unified Italy. A pious catholic, Liudprand decided to yield. But since then, much has changed. Franks, potential allies against the advancing heathen darkness, have fallen into misery and conflict once more. Saracen pirates burned and pillaged, threatening Rome itself. He only hoped Zacharias will agree to his proposal...

They greeted each other and exchanged with various remarks on various things that mattered little or not towards the real subject. Finally, the Pope decided to cut to the point.

"Why do thou marshall thy forces towards the Eternal City?"

"It is under a threat of Saracen darkness. Barbarian pirates raid Ostia, and might one day capture it - and besiege the Eternal City itself."

"But why do good Christians besiege it as well?"

"There is no siege. I came here to negotiate." - Liudprand replied - "Rome needs protection, but not that of the Iconoclasts. To fight back the Darkness, Italia must be united."

"For that, you will have to clash with Constantinople and the Exarch."

"We already clashed. Know that Iconoclasts are not worthy of guarding Rome and the Patrimony. Neither can the Franks protect it."

"Indeed. I hear that many of them sunk back into darkness and ignorance."

"Either way, Byzantines proved unable to defend Ostia. One day, they will fail to defend Rome. I try to be a pious Christian, a guardin of the Faith. But to guard it, I must be allowed to do so."

I know that if he refuses, my conscience will not allow me to attack Rome. Oh, Almighty, guide either him to accept to my offer, either show me a better way to fight for you!, thought Liudprand.

The Pope stood there, thoughtful, for a moment. But finally, he conceeded - "The Duchy of Rome accepts your protection. May the Divine guide your sword and shield in the defense of the true faith."

And in that moment, Liudprand became Liutprando Grandi, Liudprand the Great. Chieftain of the Lombards, King of Italia. Protector of Rome and Christianity.

---

OOC: And now, to compensate for the (relative) lateness, and the possible disappointment with chapter four, it's Chapter Five. Back to the history book style.

IC:

Chapter Five.

Reign of Liutprando Grandi (7??-749) was a truly defining moment in the history of Christianity, for it was then that the groundwork for future Lombard glory was laid.

When he came to power in 712, Lombards were in a bad shape. Before him was a line of weak kings, allowing for decentralization of Lombardia and loss of military power and prestige. Immediately after the coup, he put under his direct control a good half of Lombard territory. Having consolidated power, he reformed the Rothari Eddict, creating, more or less, the Lombard law system that lasted for many centuries to come. He encouraged increased christianization and latinization, finishing the process of merge between Lombard and Roman cultures.

The first true test for his foreing policy came in 727, when the Iconoclasts were supported by the Byzantine Emperor. In Italy, icons already became a significant part of Christian culture, and a rebellion begun. Liutprando immediately backed the rebels, and gained numerous border territories. Later on, 730, he acted in an alliance with the Byzantine Exarch of Ravenna to put under his heel the few remaining opposing feudals - he also attempted to capture the Duchy of Rome, but the Pope Gergory II persuaded him, a pious Christian, not to attack the city. This crisis prevented him from sending forces to aid Charles Martel, something that he deeply regretted.

Fearful of the rising Arab threat, he reformed his military, forming the "Lombard Legions". They, however, were not like the Roman legionaires in that they realized the importance of cavalry in the new era. Lombard navy was also created. Liudprand I also suceeded in grasping Venice from Byzantine power (using a large anti-Byzantine faction headed by Orso as an ally), making it a dependant territory. All this allowed the Lombard Italians to counter Berber pirates - at least, to prevent them from gaining a foothold or pillaging a major city.

Farther along, in 739, he managed to defeat a Berber incursion into Provence in the battle of Avignon. This was the first, albeit insignificant, defeat of a Muslim invasion. It also resulted in Provence slowly becoming a part of Lombardia. He failed to launch a counter-offensive as rumors came that Berbers captured Ostia - they were, however, repulsed by the Byzantines before Liutprando returned.

Many believe, however, that the culminative point of Liutprando's reign came in 742, when he persuaded the Exarch of Ravenna, and later on, Pope Zacharias to give up control over the Duchy of Rome. He was later crowned the King of Italia in Rome, to where he moved his capital. This fully exposed the Exarch's corruption, and led to a war between Byzantines and Lombards. In 743, Liutprando defeated Byzantines at Bologna, while the Venetian fleet managed to catch a part of Byzantine Navy unprepared at Bari in the same year. All this, coupled with yet another anti-Iconoclast rebellion, persuaded Emperor Leo the Isaurian to accept defeat and cede Naples and the Exarchate to Lombardia. It also led to the much-needed reform in the Byzantine navy, which was previously neglected. In 745, tired of his reign and upset by his bad health, Liutprando abdicated, leaving a stabilized and rising kingdom to his succesor, Aistulf I. Albeit not as great as his father, Aistulf managed to continue the policies of expansion, and countered both the Byzantines, and the Arabs. Ofcourse, the struggle against the later was assisted by an emerging new factor...

Um... Any comments? Should I continue?

Keep it up. You seem to have as much of an aptitude for alternate history as I have interest in it (which is a compliment) :)

MSTK is right, we sometimes enjoy reading but have no comments. Oh and MSTK how do you feel about the peace keepers being closed for spam? I feel like going*&#@%$!

Top Bottom