[NFP] Byzantium First Look

Well, this isn't going to be my favorite civ. :( Lovely music, though. I understand why he's wearing armor, but it feels like a missed opportunity to show off the opulence of Byzantine clothing.
just to let you know Basil II wasn't much for luxuries. It was said that during most of his life he wore nothing but a military outfit. He was so into the military that he cared little for anything other than military-like getting married and cultural activities. He had little friends and hated getting washed.

just to let you know Basil II wasn't much for luxuries. It was said that during most of his life he wore nothing but a military outfit. He was so into the military that he cared little for anything other than military-like getting married and cultural activities. He had little friends and hated getting washed.
And for the third time I did say it was appropriate for him specifically, just disappointing more generally. :p

And for the third time I did say it was appropriate for him specifically, just disappointing more generally. :p
I didn't see that reply... but still I find it weird that you are complaining about it when the leader is basically military computer who cared for little else.
It would have been weirder to see him in the same outfit as say Justinian I

Basil's agenda is Divine Guardian: Likes civs following the same religion.

per Ed Beach on Twitter
He pretends to like them before he backstabs and destroys them, presumably!

My overall thoughts of Byzantium are HERE, but overall if they are in your game I would say they are target number 1

oh just a small tibit.
here is Basil II's epitaph
" Verses funereal on the tomb of lord (kyr) Basil the Bulgar-slayer and emperor (basileus).
Other kings of old, other
burial places for themselves ordained,
But I, Basil, born to the purple,
place my tomb on the site of Hebdomon
and I sabbatize from the endless toils
which I accepted in battles, and which I endured.
For nobody saw my spear at rest,
from when the King of Heavens called me
autokrator of the earth and senior emperor.
but remaining vigilant through the whole span of my life
guarding the children of New Rome
when I marched bravely to the West (Hesperia),
and as far as the very frontiers of the East (Eos),
settling countless trophies all over the earth.
The Persians and Scythians (Bulgars) bear witness to this,
and along with them the Abasgian, Ishmael, the Arab, the Iberian.
And now, man, looking upon this tomb
reward my campaigns with prayers."

What a guy.

My overall thoughts of Byzantium
bite said:
Though to be fair, my reticence with Byzantium might actually stem from the fact that it is going to create havoc for my map. Which I am not sure is a broad issue in the player base.
We feel your pain :)

He pretends to like them before he backstabs and destroys them, presumably!
He does not need though to backstab. If a civ already follows the Byz religion, that's check for RV, and his troops goes after heathens, to kill/convert/conquer. Their aim is a war boosted RV. Before, you kinda needed to send religious units in both direcitons, Byz can send religious units one side, and military to the other side, to speed everything up.

May I please clarify for some people around here, that you don't get +3 Combat Strength per city with religion conquered? I saw this mentioned multiple times, but it's false: you get +3 Combat Strength per every Holy City, and Holy City is a city which founded a religion, so there's only 1 such city per religion.
What about the Vatican then?
upload_2020-9-17_21-18-34.png

I didn't see that reply... but still I find it weird that you are complaining about it when the leader is basically military computer who cared for little else.
It would have been weirder to see him in the same outfit as say Justinian I
Why strange? Byzantine costume was exquisite; it's a shame they missed the opportunity to flaunt it.

Time for a Komnenos in Civ VII to show some Byzantine spectacle? :D
Yes! :D

that is good make up for not having a unique Holy site... I wonder who will found religion faster... Byzantium or Russia?

Russia will have the edge, as their Lavra are cheaper. So if they both had the same outcome, Russia would built their Lavra faster, and thus generate the Great Prophet points earlier.

Imagine Byzantine vampires with a bunch of holy cities converted and a Tagma nearby to boost combat strength.

I'm quite impressed by this civ. Definitely an improvement over their iteration in Civ 5. I'm a big fan of synergetic civs, in this case domination helps religion, religion helps domination. Plus you're not pigeonholed into one Victory type every time.

So much good stuff to unpack here. Crusade is 100% perfect as a belief for them. They get a bonus to founding a religion. Free units from their hippodrome. And they make cavalry awesome again, allowing you to bypass walls. Domination is actually my least favorite way to play, but this makes it interesting and different. Can't wait to see what they pull off with Gaul.

Edit: Apparently Basil's UA means "born in the purple."

Kind of, it means "born in Porphyra". Porphyra was a Byzantine palace room were children of reigning emperors were born. The name does indeed come from "porphyron" though, the kind of purple used in the imperial court.

I dunno, fluctuating borders doesn't equate to "conquest focused" to me. There were many conquest focused empires in parallel to Byzantium history (Frank's, and I simply don't really think of Byzantium in that light

I would have found it really cool if they had an emphasis on defensive military and "reclaiming lost lands" - would have fit their character more IMO.

By "reclaiming lost lands" I mean something like added loyalty pressure from religious pressure and then bonuses against free cities. That matches their history a bit more, but balance is important too!

The fluctuating borders was addressing the point about being "continuously decreasing in size". Obviously not all emperors were military-minded, but many were and Byzantium had advanced warfare tactics and organization centered as much in offence as it was in defence. When representing Byzantium under Basil's reign, a guy who usurped the entirety of its biggest European rival's land within his lifetime, it is imperative to put an emphasis in the military conquest department.

As for reclaiming lost lands, I agree that would fit as well. However, that would be a more fitting trait for Byzantium under a Komnenos emperor rather than Basil. Similarly, with some emperors diplomacy and culture would have been more fitting than either offensive of defensive military might.

To me it looks like they are largely going for the elite tagmata of Constantine V, i.e. the imperial bodyguard of predominately heavy cavalry.

It seems so, even though he preceded Basil by about 300 years and the structure of the military had changed significantly since then.

Top Bottom