C-IV PDF Manual

i dont have the game yet but i want the manual so i know everything in advance for the uk release

I agree. Having a PDF manual would be useful...certainly easier to go through that 224 page monster. And I would like to read up before getting the actual game.

ainwood said:
And by exactly the same reasoning, there can be no legitimate reason to want it.

I'll give you one.

I'm in the UK. I've pre-ordered Civ IV (should be here tomorrow :goodjob: ), but obviously I don't have the PDF yet. I would very much like a copy to start reading about stuff. The CivFanatics pre-release info is good, but there's lots of missing info and you can't be sure any of it is correct as some of the info was based on earlier builds of the game.

I'm not saying I'm entitled to the PDF before I get the game (although I have actually been charged for it now!) , but it is a legitimate reason for wanting it.

Shakes said:
But the manual is in PDF format. If some people have it in PDF format having bought the game, it stands to reason some people who've copied the game will have copies with it in PDF format.

*exactly* That's the first thing I thought of. :lol:

The manual isn't that good anyway, it's full of errors than wind up confusing you.

2 examples:

In at least 2 places they state that roads are NOT needed for resources that are in your city radius, but in fact research shows they are (or rivers, that's why it was even more confusing, at first I though the manual was correct and couldn't figure out why some resources weren't showing up, later I realized that 1 resource was on a diagonal form a river and that's why it was showing up without a road.)

In one part they say that when you mouse over religion in the city screen it tells you what percentage of you people follow the religion. this led to all kind of confusion about what percentage do you need to have a religion, etc. Now I know that's wrong, religions are just there or not there.

I remember that the civ3 manual was full of mistakes too. and so much changed with c3c that THAT manual had to be kept around too! I think it will always happen nowadays that a manual has mistakes because the writting and printing takes place before the game is actually finished. Not much to do about it. it would be nice though, that with each patch or what not, a (or the) pdf manual is corrected and updated along too.

The manual already comes with pirated versions so it doesn't matter. If someone wants a manual, it's most likely for legitimate reasons. If you're here whining about piracy or what not, consider that fact.

PS: I bought the game and mine didn't come with a pdf manual. Guess what? I'd rather have pdf than printed for the searching ability.

aahz_capone said:
I remember that the civ3 manual was full of mistakes too. and so much changed with c3c that THAT manual had to be kept around too! I think it will always happen nowadays that a manual has mistakes because the writting and printing takes place before the game is actually finished. Not much to do about it. it would be nice though, that with each patch or what not, a (or the) pdf manual is corrected and updated along too.

Yes, indeed. I'm sure someone with the professional version of Acrobat i.e. not the reader, could update the .pdf file with the latest corrections from the patches and/or correct the mistakes that got into the manual in the first place that shouldn't have been there due to last minute changes etc.

There are at least 5 corrections in the 'read me' file to start with!

This would be SO much more valuable than the printed manual and would then not only stand as a useful up to date reference, but be searchable too!

After a couple of patches the original printed manual would become not much more useful than a door stop.

Newbie question; where's my .pdf manual? Carn't find it in the folder or on the disks.

ainwood said:
And by exactly the same reasoning, there can be no legitimate reason to want it.

I disagree: I'm in the UK and waiting until tomorrow morning for it to be released (I'm buying in store and there's nowhere in London selling early) so I'd love to be able to read the manual and start to get some ideas about aspects of the game not covered online so far.

I can get various manuals for free or cost on the same page. Is there a reason why there are two versions of the same manual?

how very helpful, thank you very much

ChuckLe said:
So, what's all the fuss about not being able to distribute it here then?
CFC Site policy forbids the posting and/or transmission of official game files. The moderators consider it piracy. Direct2Drive doesn't count as making it "okay", since they're not handing it out for free, only as part of a Civ4 purchase.

ChuckLe said:
PDF manual is now available from Direct2drive.com (via fileplanet - free account) here:

http://direct2drive.com/309/product/Buy-Civilization-4-Download

So, what's all the fuss about not being able to distribute it here then?

If Firaxis takes 4 days to say 'yes' or 'no', then how long is the patch gonna be? :lol:
As I see it, the 'free' fileplanet account is only 'free' if you've purchased Civ4. Hardly "free".

Um... yeah, its free. That is, available to anybody who is a registered member to download with or without purchase of the game. FREE, as in you need not purchase anything to download that file.

Granted, I can understand why CFC wants to make sure they don't do anything they shouldn't... but if they can post Baba Yetu (which is also available free from the producers site)...

Ainwood, your response surprises me - I would have thought objectivity was important in a moderation role, yet here you are making subjective assessments before hearing back from Firaxis. I detect a conflict of interest.

BTW I don't work for Helen but she gets my taxes... :(

The manual is also available on another very popular and legitimate website that I shall not name here. Freely available - no account or identification required.

Most game manuals published in PDF are freely distributed without restriction - why do you assume this one is restricted?

meowsqueak said:
Ainwood, your response surprises me - I would have thought objectivity was important in a moderation role, yet here you are making subjective assessments before hearing back from Firaxis. I detect a conflict of interest.
Conflict of interest? :confused: How?

It is an objective response. We have zero tolerance on piracy. We will continue to prevent people from posting the manual etc until we have it confirmed that it can be distributed. If it were available for free download from Firaxis or Take2, then that would be fine - but its not.

The manual is also available on another very popular and legitimate website that I shall not name here. Freely available - no account or identification required.

Most game manuals published in PDF are freely distributed without restriction - why do you assume this one is restricted?
Why do you assume its not?

Top Bottom