C2C LAN crash

plasmacannon

Emperor
I am having one computer crash during setup of C2C and hoping for some ideas as to what the issue might be.

As far as the computer stats go, both comps are Quad cores with 4 gbs of RAM, Win 7 Home and fresh installs of C2C version 30. Mine has a Geforce GXT 650 video card. The 2nd comp has a Raydeon 6950.

We run this on a LAN. We can create a custom game initially, but as soon as we select go, it loads about 1/3rd of the files, then the 2nd comp crashes. Mine freezes, because the other is nolonger there.
We can run normal Civ4 games BTSv3.19, just not with this mod. :( I'd really like to resolve this.
Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Mine has a fresh install of Win7 home.
I went through and turned on Network Discovery, File and Print Sharing, Public Sharing, and I got the printer to work from the 2nd computer.
The strange thing is that I can host and join a normal Civ4 BTS game from either computer.
But, not a C2C, or VIP mod either for that matter.
I'm not sure why the mods are not working over the LAN, when both have in the past.
Probably still another Win 7 security or Network thing I haven't changed or set yet.
I'm still new to Win 7.

Do the mods have files that have to be added to the Windows Firewall exception list?
Maybe, they are being blocked.

This should probably be in the 'Bugs and Crashes' sub-forum and the most recent 'Multi-Player Crashes' thread therein for it to be seen by the right people.

I haven't done any LAN, so good luck.

I haven't had crash trouble like that but I'm surprised you can use the LAN at all... it wasn't working on that at all for a long time. Perhaps if you try a direct IP connection you might have better luck?

This should probably be in the 'Bugs and Crashes' sub-forum and the most recent 'Multi-Player Crashes' thread therein for it to be seen by the right people.

I haven't done any LAN, so good luck.

Thanks. I'll check there.

I haven't had crash trouble like that but I'm surprised you can use the LAN at all... it wasn't working on that at all for a long time. Perhaps if you try a direct IP connection you might have better luck?
I've tried both in the past and both have worked for normal BTS games.
Until about 2 days ago, we were running 1 win7 64bit and 1 vista 32 bit machine and figured that was the problem.
Now with both machines practically identical, problems should be resolvable (if that's a word).

I'll keep trying different mods too, to see if it is just these two, but I am not optimistic that it isn't all mods.

yea. That was the first thing I did.
I don't remember having to open any ports for civ either, so I doubt it's that.

I think you have to open port 2056 when hosting direct-IP games and using a router.

I think you have to open port 2056 when hosting direct-IP games and using a router.
Wow. I've never heard of that.
Is this just for Direct IP?
I never needed to open ports for LAN games before.

I wanted to add, I have been playing a single player game of C2C now for a few hours and have experienced no errors.
So, it is definitely a multiplayer issue.

To clarify, if you are hosting a Civ4 game and someone wants to connect to your game from outside your LAN you would have to forward port 2056 (both udp and tcp IIRC) in your router to the hosting PCs IP-address. Friends had to set this up last week. For Direct-IP games in a LAN this is not neccessary.

ok. Thanks for the clarification.
Yea, we host on one computer and the other, about 20 feet away, joins in.
We have a wireless router hooked up to our cable modem, so we don't need to go online.
We normally just use the LAN setting. I think we tried the IP method once and it worked too. Just got in the habit of using "LAN".

Windows 7 has a "HomeGroup" option available in the Network section. It says that's mainly for file sharing for other computers or printers. I haven't created one, yet I can play Civ4 BTS normally and the 2nd computer can print from my printer hooked up to the router.
Could this HomeGroup block some files associated with C2C and other mods or games?
We tried Birth of the Federation and neither of us could see the other's game to join.

We did get StarCraft BW to work and I can join a Civ4 VIP mod game, just not C2C. :(

Top Bottom