C2C - Maintenance Adjustments

Agreed. I wsn't trying to argue they are/should be the solution to any putative gold issues, simply that as things stand they certainyl don' make them worse.

I haven't used them much in C2C, but my understanding of them from Vanilla was that if you had the HQ in your city, but placed the Corporations themselves in your opponents cities, he could get the Food / Hammer bonus, but the HQ in your city would get :gold: from the presence of those branches in his cities. Is that not how it works anymore?

I haven't used them much in C2C, but my understanding of them from Vanilla was that if you had the HQ in your city, but placed the Corporations themselves in your opponents cities, he could get the Food / Hammer bonus, but the HQ in your city would get :gold: from the presence of those branches in his cities. Is that not how it works anymore?

Yes, but the hammers/food bonus can be HUGE and you want it yourself. You don't buiold corporation for gold any more, you build them for the food/production.

Yes, but the hammers/food bonus can be HUGE and you want it yourself. You don't buiold corporation for gold any more, you build them for the food/production.

But if the headquarters from them still make a monetary profit from each you have, and you have them all over your empire, and the HQ is located in your :gold: geared city with all the :gold: bonuses, high trade, Stock Markets, Wallstreet, and any other NW or WW you can get to boost :gold: in there... that would rake in a lot of extra :gold:

Or am I missing something?

But if the headquarters from them still make a monetary profit from each you have, and you have them all over your empire, and the HQ is located in your :gold: geared city with all the :gold: bonuses, high trade, Stock Markets, Wallstreet, and any other NW or WW you can get to boost :gold: in there... that would rake in a lot of extra :gold:

Or am I missing something?

You're missing that each OTHER city you have them in (because you really want the food/production there which is very sigificant) has a HUGE maintenance cost. Literally cities were going from like 10-20 gold per turn to 150 or so as soon as the corp spreads to them. The headquarters only gives you 4/city before multipliers and 4 takes a lot of amplification to make up for -50 to -100. Almost certainly the corporation maintenance costs need looking at, but it's not totally unsustainable (just means you have to work at finnces at that point) due to the prevalence of gold until then.

Unfortunately you get something like 1 or 2 :gold: / city with that corporation, basically just like the vanilla religious shrines. Unfortunately the increased maintenance costs from having the corporation in just one of your cities is usually enough to wipe out any profit you might get from spreading your corp to other cities, not to mention the actual gold cost of building and using executives.

You're missing that each OTHER city you have them in (because you really want the food/production there which is very sigificant) has a HUGE maintenance cost. Literally cities were going from like 10-20 gold per turn to 150 or so as soon as the corp spreads to them. The headquarters only gives you 4/city before multipliers and 4 takes a lot of amplification to make up for -50 to -100. Almost certainly the corporation maintenance costs need looking at, but it's not totally unsustainable (just means you have to work at finnces at that point) due to the prevalence of gold until then.

That is probably why I used to just setup branches in the AI's city, collect the gold at HQ, and not deal with the Maintenance (in stock BTS). So for my use of it then, it was just to get gold.

I guess in C2C it is a different story since gold is much more abundant.

Here's what I was thinking:

Prehistoric Era:
-1:gold: = +1 :) & +1 :health:
-1:gold: = +0.15:health: / person

Ancient Era:
-2:gold: = +1 :) & +2 :health:
-1:gold: = +0.10:health: / person

Classical Era
-3:gold: = +2 :) & +2 :health:
-2:gold: = +0.10:health: / person

Medieval Era:
-4:gold: = +2 :) & +2 :health:
-3:gold: = +0.10:health: / person

Too many icons, continued in next post.

I think I am going to first start out with a standard -1:gold: to all buildings that apply. If there is still to much excess gold then I will start making different builds cost more than -1:gold:. This seems like the safest method to finding balance.

I think I am going to first start out with a standard -1:gold: to all buildings that apply. If there is still to much excess gold then I will start making different builds cost more than -1:gold:. This seems like the safest method to finding balance.

So how are -:gold: buildings affected when using Civics that change whether they are state or privately owned?

So some surprising results. Having implemented -1:gold: for the power plants, water, law enforcement, fire, and education. And with those in mid game I balance at 85% science. I still have the garbage, health and transportation buildings to implement too. I wonder if just a -1:gold: will be enough to balance things out.

I mean what should be the balance goal of this? Is it to get gold under 100% science rate? If so I have already passed that.

Don't forget that not everyone builds every building, not every city needs every building. For example, Town Wells only get built in cities with no fresh water (and sometimes not even then since they are :health: neutral, so their real advantage is to allow nearby farming).

Plus some civics like Patrician give you lots of gold. I would look for a 'best case' scenario, where a player specializes in gold production, but still only break even when at 100% :science:. So if you build crime buildings but forgo justice ones, avoid :)/:health: buildings until necessary, etc. and still can only keep your head above water at 100% :science:, then a player with a more well-rounded strategy would need to keep 10-20% :gold:.

From my experience:
When you did just the water buildings at high -:gold: my late-medieval game at 10% :gold: slider went from +1000 to +500. With the next update and all the fire/law buildings it went down to +0, and with this low -:gold: change it's back to +800.

Maybe as a rule of thumb, Prehistoric / Ancient / Classical buildings cost -1:gold:, Medieval / Renaisance / Industrial buildings cost -2:gold:, Modern -> Future Era buildings cost -3:gold:. I think any higher -:gold: and the AI will avoid that building like the plague, I cant see it building a -10 :gold: / turn sewer even if it's a prereq for the good housing.

Don't forget that not everyone builds every building, not every city needs every building. For example, Town Wells only get built in cities with no fresh water (and sometimes not even then since they are :health: neutral, so their real advantage is to allow nearby farming).

True on the first part. As for Wells, I build them because they are required for the Tower, which I believe is required for the Water Treatment facility which reduces food needed to grow a town. So sometimes you have to "suffer" through a low end building to get one later that has a benefit you want. I actually don't think Town Wells should cost any :gold: though. How much maintenance do they really require? Equal to the entire profit of a Deer Herd? Water Towers and Treatment for sure though.

From my experience:
When you did just the water buildings at high -:gold: my late-medieval game at 10% :gold: slider went from +1000 to +500. With the next update and all the fire/law buildings it went down to +0, and with this low -:gold: change it's back to +800.

Thank you for the feedback. Once I upload the rest (health, transportation, etc) let me know how that works. I suspect that the health buildings will have the biggest impact since they are rather important to keep your city from being unhealthy. Thus players will have to build some health buildings.

In my current game I have not had my science above 70% the whole game. With it down at 40% at one time. (rest is Tax) I think it is because I don't have any gold or silver.

I think it is because I don't have any gold or silver.

Jewelries are the first real :gold: multiplier building, not getting one can be a real disadvantage. I think it might be a good idea to make them a little more accessible, maybe adding copper (or even stone / obsidian to represent semi-precious stones like lapis lazuli or turquoise) to the list of things that let you build them?

Jewelries are the first real :gold: multiplier building, not getting one can be a real disadvantage. I think it might be a good idea to make them a little more accessible, maybe adding copper (or even stone / obsidian to represent semi-precious stones like lapis lazuli or turquoise) to the list of things that let you build them?

We have special buildings that make those already.

Gems + Copper = Turquoise Mine

We don't appear to have Lapis Lazuli, but i can always add one.

That's all well and good, but with the rarity of gems and copper I doubt there are more than 1 or 2 spots on a giant map that you could found a city to build it. I was just saying the +10% :gold: +25% trade routes from a jewelry are a pretty big bonus, if players who can build them by the ancient age are rolling in money and players who can't are suffering with 70% :science:, maybe they should be easier to get. Jewelry can be made using bronze, copper, pewter, ivory, etc. Maybe you don't get the +2% :gold: from having a precious metal, but losing out on the other benefits seems kind of harsh.

@Nevets

That reminds me I need to set up the whole Jewelers crafting web. So many aspects of the game to do. Seems like I have too much on my plate. I will hopefully get to it eventually, since I did have a plan for it using the goods system and the "smithing" buildings. Basically the gem mines would make Good (Raw Gems) and then it would unlock a Gem Cutter which would make Good (Cut Gems). Meanwhile the smithing buildings like the Goldsmith or Silversmith would produce Good (Precious Metals) which along with Good (Cut Gems) would unlock the Jeweler's. In short ..

Fake Resource -> Processing -> Jeweler's

Top Bottom