C2C - Space Terrain

Regarding the Galactic Era multiple maps question:
I just thought of "Fake Cities" as possible entrances to other layers of city screen UI (ak sun system, galaxy etc. in "other city screen buiildings could be built, they would somehow overlay with enemy systems there... could it be possible to move units while in city screen / portal to other maplayer?

Ok just to explain what I mean, here's an example:

Imagine you can build a unit like a settler, just called "galaxy portal", make it erect a portal somewhere on normal earth map. Once you klick onto it you get other building possibilities than on earth and the map screen isn't the normal earth map but some other sort of map thats encoded in the changed city screens settings (the idea came to me when I zoomed in a city and saw how the middle view was sort of blacked out a bit, that it could maybe be exchanged by other code)

Then is the big question how units in this "portal map" could move and interact with other civs second layer map city portals and so on (like can there be a city screen UI within a a city screen UI - to zoom into a city on mars for example) but that's maybe a question for another day, so to make a long story short^^:

Could the city screen UI be modified to show another map in its center than the one we see when we zoom into a city, and can it maybe be possible to move certain units while in city screen UI?

I was actually thinking of having your Capital or a Spaceport Wonder be the spot in which your units return to when going to the Earth map. Likewise an initial landing spot would be where all your units go for the moon and mars and for the Galactic Map all would start at "Sol".

Alternatively we could just have a popup menu that allows you to select which city or colony you want to go.

So something like you can only initially go to the moon or Mars from a city with a spaceport (or NASA). When on the city you get a button that says "Launch" and then it brings up a list of possible colonies you can go to. Each would take a different number of turns to arrive at.

When you are first going to the moon or Mars you will arrive at a random location. And until you have set up a spaceport on either the moon or Mars you will not beable to arrive directly at on of their colonies.

The Galactic map however always has you start out at Sol. Sol cannot be claimed, however other star systems can. When leaving out solar system you will select that from the launch menu. However rather than getting a free ride to another star you must actually travel across space to your other colonies. However I suspect it will at least take some turns initially to go from either Earth, the moon or Mars to the Galactic map.

Thus your propulsion method is important for reducing launch times and movement on the Galactic map.

@Dancing Hoskuld

New Resources

CO2 Ice
Revealed: Lunar Exploration
Enabled: Astrogeology
Graphic: CO2 Ice from SM2
Benefit: +1 :health:
Improvement: Mine
Appears On: Moon / Mars
Rarity: Very Rare / Rare (At Poles)

Tungsten
Revealed: Geology
Enabled: Electricity
Graphic: CO2 Ice from SM2
Benefit: +2 :hammers:, +1 :commerce:
Appears On: Earth / Moon / Mars
Rarity: Rare

These two have the same graphic. I assume this is a mistake. Since I am doing stuff with resources and improvements, I figured that I could at least check out what it is you wanted and start collecting the bits.

Edit I think I have sorted that out. Some of the resources you have requested are terrain features in the other mod. Sometimes this will work others it wont.

Question: Is terraforming going to be a thing, at least on Martian soil, or will food exclusively be done with (f) build greenhouse and city buildings? I always thought it was kinda dumb how you could do it tile by tile in the old Civ 2 Mars scenario leaving one square of vivid green in a sea of rusty brown. Even so, having no possibility of terraforming at all would make the builder in me grumble. Could there be some type of really expensive world project that upgrades all "Martian" terrain types to a very slightly greener "Terraformed Martian" terrain type that allows planting of forests or maybe the building of "Intensively Terraformed" plots? Here's my brainstorm: initially on mars all terrain is the basic mars type terrain that gives bupkis food/production/commerce (excluding the ones that give one production). To get anything out of the plots you have to build greenhouse complexes (middling food) or Moholes* (much production, little commerce) or Colony Suburbs (little production, much commerce, grow like towns) After the martian terraforming project is built by anyone it upgrades all mars type terrain to Terraformed Mars type terrain that has just a hint of something growing and the peaks have snow. Terraformed mars type terrain has base 111 or 121 F/P/C and in additon to Moholes and Suburbs you can build Intensively Terraformed (very much food, little commerce) on the plots making it look much greener with little homesteads.

*Moholes are robotic shaft mines that go down to the Mohorovičić discontinuity where the crust transitions to mantle.

Also which won't work?

Don't know, I haven't tried yet. ;) Granite Rocks and Geode Crystal are both features in SoM so they may not work when converted to resources. As I said I am just gathering the art and converting bonus information at the moment.

BTW I am assuming that The Moon is a stand in for the more generic Barren Airless Rocky Planet and Mars stands for Cold Terrestrial Planet.

BTW I am assuming that The Moon is a stand in for the more generic Barren Airless Rocky Planet and Mars stands for Cold Terrestrial Planet.

Yeah. My first goal is to get the Moon, Mars and Galactic maps made. Once those are in then we can work on other types of planets such as Venus-like, Titian-like, Asteroids, etc.

Question: Is terraforming going to be a thing, at least on Martian soil, or will food exclusively be done with (f) build greenhouse and city buildings? I always thought it was kinda dumb how you could do it tile by tile in the old Civ 2 Mars scenario leaving one square of vivid green in a sea of rusty brown. Even so, having no possibility of terraforming at all would make the builder in me grumble. Could there be some type of really expensive world project that upgrades all "Martian" terrain types to a very slightly greener "Terraformed Martian" terrain type that allows planting of forests or maybe the building of "Intensively Terraformed" plots? Here's my brainstorm: initially on mars all terrain is the basic mars type terrain that gives bupkis food/production/commerce (excluding the ones that give one production). To get anything out of the plots you have to build greenhouse complexes (middling food) or Moholes* (much production, little commerce) or Colony Suburbs (little production, much commerce, grow like towns) After the martian terraforming project is built by anyone it upgrades all mars type terrain to Terraformed Mars type terrain that has just a hint of something growing and the peaks have snow. Terraformed mars type terrain has base 111 or 121 F/P/C and in additon to Moholes and Suburbs you can build Intensively Terraformed (very much food, little commerce) on the plots making it look much greener with little homesteads.

*Moholes are robotic shaft mines that go down to the Mohorovičić discontinuity where the crust transitions to mantle.

Planets and moons since they will have their own unique terrains will be harder to terraform. Planetary Terraforming tech will allow for terraforming on planets such as Mars. Lunar Terraforming tech will allow for terraforming on the moon and other barren planets/moons. I may add another type for extreme planets such as Venus once we have that all planned out.

Thus you can eventually convert up alien terrains to Earth type terrain all the way up to lush like you can on Earth. Martian and Lunar terrains start out without food yields but as you convert them to Earth type terrains you can get food yields from them.

Initial colonies will need to depend upon buildings (such as agrodomes) within the colony in order to get food. There will also be terrain improvements that can give food yields.

There will not be "land ocean" because eventually you will able to make your own oceans. If all goes will with the climate/weather stuff it should be possible to aplly it to planet/lunar maps too. So you could help do mass terraforming by influencing the weather of your planet (think Sim Earth).

And yes there will be cottage/farm/factory/mine equivalents for the planets/moons. Mars Now, Song of the Moon 2, Dune Wars and SMAC mods all have graphics for that kind of stuff. Its just a matter of converting them.

@Dancing Hoskuld

New Terrain Features

Crashes Probe
Appears On: Moon / Mars
Graphic: Crashes Spaceship from MN
Food: 0
Production: 3
Commerce: 2
Movement: -1
Defense: 0%
River Commerce: 0
Freshwater: No
Health: 0
Improvements: ?
Cities: No
Terrain Damage: No

Can't find this one in Mars Now!

Hot Springs
Appears On: Earth
Graphic: Methanehydrate from MN
Food: 0
Production: 0
Commerce: 0
Movement: Impassable
Defense: 0%
River Commerce: 0
Freshwater: No
Health: +1
Improvements: ?
Cities: No
Terrain Damage: No

This is a resource in Mars Now not a feature.

New Resources

Moon Rocks
Revealed: Lunar Exploration
Enabled: Astrogeology
Graphic: Granite Rocks from SM2
Benefit: +1 :commerce:
Appears On: Moon
Rarity: Very Common

Geodes
Revealed: Geology
Enabled: Geology
Graphic: Geode Crystal from SM2
Benefit: +2 :commerce:
Appears On: Earth / Moon / Mars
Rarity: Rare

These are features in Song of the Moon 2 not resources.

It may be possible to convert resources into features and vice versa but do we need to?

I now have all but the above converted to C2C but not usable.

1. Should be their Goody Hut.

2. Yes I know but could you make Methanehydrate into Hot Springs a feature like you did when you changed Oil into Tarpits?

3. I would rather have these as resources so you can trade geodes and moon rocks. Same goes for Prickly Pear Cactus and Dates that are already in our mod.

I can't convert the terrains until we have a way of indication to the map scripts which terrains they should use. Otherwise some may just mix in Earth, Moon and Mars terrains on the same maps.

1. Should be their Goody Hut.

2. Yes I know but could you make Methanehydrate into Hot Springs a feature like you did when you changed Oil into Tarpits?

3. I would rather have these as resources so you can trade geodes and moon rocks. Same goes for Prickly Pear Cactus and Dates that are already in our mod.

1-2 OK I'll give it a try.

3. Converting features into resources sometimes does not work because the graphics won't work.

3a. converting existing C2C features, like dates, into resources will break save games, unless we have both for a while.

@Dancing Hoskuld

Can you please make the Moon Rocks and Geodes a resource and not a terrain feature? I cannot add them as a benefit to the geology lab if they are a terrain feature.

Don't know when I will get to this. It is on my list. I am only doing stuff that requires small steps due to RL and I may have to go away for a couple of weeks at the drop of a hat.

Terraforming the moon is a dumb idea... that would involve altering its effective mass/gravity to closer to Earth's. Playing with the moon's gravity level is a good way to cause massive city killing storms and the like... not to mention other 'fun' like people going insane from the wonky effects on all those intelligent bags of thinking meat and saline.

Speaking of 'fun... lunar developemnt should be handled more like Dwarf Fortress. Go underground and build in the sane way. None of this madness with changing the reflectivity of the moon and hoping it doesn't dim the Earth and cause mass extinctions of plant life from the combination of changed light levels and tidal nonsense. Not mention any issues from heating up a place as close as the local moon to above freezing.

In short, terraforming the moon is likely to negatively terraform your homeland.

If you want to screw with moons go pick on the local equivalents of Phobos and Demios that way local Mars can be more local Earth like.

Top Bottom