C2C - Space Terrain

@Necratoid: I understand the technical reasons that the moon would be very hard to terraform, but by te end of the Galaxtic Era you are going to have a pretty advanced Type II, if not Type III, civilization that can build planets and send a craft through the Galactic Black Hole (that will be the new 'space victory'). Terraforming the Moon would be peanuts for such an advanced civ.

@Necratoid: I understand the technical reasons that the moon would be very hard to terraform, but by te end of the Galaxtic Era you are going to have a pretty advanced Type II, if not Type III, civilization that can build planets and send a craft through the Galactic Black Hole (that will be the new 'space victory'). Terraforming the Moon would be peanuts for such an advanced civ.

True..but it should come pretty late. Because terraforming somehing that just can´t hold an atmosphere on it´s own like the moon should be hard.
For Mars it´s more about changing the composition, and maybe uppen the densisty a bit.

True..but it should come pretty late. Because terraforming somehing that just can´t hold an atmosphere on it´s own like the moon should be hard.
For Mars it´s more about changing the composition, and maybe uppen the densisty a bit.

Yes, when we first discussed multi maps (many months ago), I said that the Moon should not be terraformable until the Galactic Era. This is all subject to change, so don't get too worried yet. :)

Its not a matter of can really.. its a matter of should. By the time they can its not really a useful thing to do and the infrastrcture is already there. Remember that was in response to the tile set the moon should have as a map. I feel it should be more of improvements being underground than would be on a large heavenly body.

This also ignores that people are going to be unlikely to want to change the looks of the moon... Its the moon! It should look like a rock. If they do its likely going to turn it into a upgrade of Mount Rushmore than a forest moon or something.

This also ignores that people are going to be unlikely to want to change the looks of the moon... Its the moon! It should look like a rock. If they do its likely going to turn it into a upgrade of Mount Rushmore than a forest moon or something.

Hehe. i can actually imagine the protesters marching in front of a futuristic government building, demanding to cancel terraforming of the moon and making it a national preserve instead :D

Hehe. i can actually imagine the protesters marching in front of a futuristic government building, demanding to cancel terraforming of the moon and making it a national preserve instead :D

And that might be a legitimate option in the Galactic Era. Don't terraform the moon, but instead continue harvesting it's natural resources.

@HydromancerX Kooks like I a going to need buttons for the terrain from "Song of the Moon". It seems to use default Earth terrain buttons.

Edit I am not sure we can have more peak and hill definitions. I think we can have only one of each, but I could be wrong.
Still to add terain damage but want to test it now. ;)

@HydromancerX Kooks like I a going to need buttons for the terrain from "Song of the Moon". It seems to use default Earth terrain buttons.

Edit I am not sure we can have more peak and hill definitions. I think we can have only one of each, but I could be wrong.
Still to add terain damage but want to test it now. ;)

1. Ok I will get on it.

2. Well by the time you explore the moon (and Mars) you will have long since discovered Mountaineering tech. I suggest you make the barren peaks terrain features instead. Just like you have all the outcrops from Dune Wars.

@Dancing Hoskuld
Looks like its the same problem you had before with the order of the terrain and having the polluted ocean and coast terrain showing up. Make sure you put them before those.

See this post having the same problem with you added in the Dune Wars terrain.

Ok I fixed terrain stats and added a new barren terrain button.

However the new terrain button is not showing up. Could someone go look at the new files on the SVN and see why the barren button is still the plains button?

EDIT: Something is very wrong with the terrain. I was trying to place terrain and they were all mixed up.

For instance ...

Lush = Appeared as Mountains Underwater
Barren = Appeared as Black Water
Rocky = Appeared as Green Water
Scrub = Appeared as Green Water
Dunes = Appeared as Lush Terrain
Salt Flats = Appeared as Plains
Permafrost = Appeared as Rocky
Muddy = Appeared as Scrub

So yeah they re all screwy. Note this was on a Perfect World map. Note that the changed Desert terrain showed up fine.

From you picture above it looks like ...

Lunar Basalt = Appeared as Mountains Underwater (TERRAIN_PEAK)
Lunar Plains = Appeared as Black Water (TERRAIN_HILL)
Lunar Rocky = Appeared as Green Water (TERRAIN_SLIMY_COAST)
Lunar Barren = Appeared as Green Water (TERRAIN_SLIMY_OCEAN)
Lunar Desert = Appeared as Lunar Basalt
Lunar Dunes = Appeared as Lunar Plains

There is still something wrong with Lunar barren and dunes. :(

I will put what I have done so far on the SVN. Note I need some pedia entries for these terrains and wont go further until someone provides them or points me to some on the web.:p

Attachments

• lunar terrains1.jpg
    lunar terrains1.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 101
There is still something wrong with Lunar barren and dunes. :(

I will put what I have done so far on the SVN. Note I need some pedia entries for these terrains and wont go further until someone provides them or points me to some on the web.:p

list of terrains please..ill take a look at making or finding them

this ones right?

Lunar Basalt
Lunar Plains
Lunar Rocky
Lunar Barren
Lunar Desert
Lunar Dunes

I am using scientific terminology

The geology of the Moon (sometimes called selenology, although the latter term can refer more generally to "lunar science") is quite different from that of the Earth. The Moon lacks a significant atmosphere and any bodies of water, which eliminates erosion due to weather; it does not possess any form of plate tectonics, it has a lower gravity, and because of its small size, it cools more rapidly. The complex geomorphology of the lunar surface has been formed by a combination of processes, chief among which are impact cratering and volcanism. The Moon is a differentiated body, possessing a crust, mantle and core.

Lunar basalts
Lunar basalts differ from their terrestrial counterparts principally in their high iron contents, which typically range from about 17 to 22 wt% FeO. They also possess a stunning range of titanium concentrations (present in the mineral ilmenite), ranging from less than 1 wt% TiO2, to about 13 wt.%. Traditionally, lunar basalts have been classified according to their titanium content, with classes being named high-Ti, low-Ti, and very-low-Ti. Nevertheless, global geochemical maps of titanium obtained from the Clementine mission demonstrate that the lunar maria possesses a continuum of titanium concentrations, and that the highest concentrations are the least abundant.

Lunar basalts show exotic textures and mineralogy, particularly shock metamorphism, lack of the oxidation typical of terrestrial basalts, and a complete lack of hydration. While most of the Moon's basalts erupted between about 3 and 3.5 billion years ago, the oldest samples are 4.2 billion years old, and the youngest flows, based on the age dating method of "crater counting," are estimated to have erupted only 1.2 billion years ago.

Rename Lunar Plains to Lunar Maria

The lunar maria /ˈmɑriə/ (singular: mare ) are large, dark, basaltic plains on Earth's Moon, formed by ancient volcanic eruptions. They were dubbed maria, Latin for "seas", by early astronomers who mistook them for actual seas. They are less reflective than the "highlands" as a result of their iron-rich compositions, and hence appear dark to the naked eye. The maria cover about 16 percent of the lunar surface, mostly on the near-side visible from Earth. The few maria on the far-side are much smaller, residing mostly in very large craters. The traditional nomenclature for the Moon also includes one oceanus (ocean), as well as features with the names lacus (lake), palus (marsh) and sinus (bay). The latter three are smaller than maria, but have the same nature and characteristics
Lunar anorthosites constitute the light-coloured areas of the Moon's surface and have been the subject of much research.

Rename Moon Rocky to Lunar Highlands

The most distinctive aspect of the Moon is the contrast between its bright and dark zones. Lighter surfaces are the lunar highlands, which receive the name of terrae (singular terra, from the Latin for Earth), and the darker plains are called maria (singular mare, from the Latin for sea), after Johannes Kepler who introduced the name in the 17th century. The highlands are anorthositic in composition, whereas the maria are basaltic. The maria often coincide with the "lowlands," but it is important to note that the lowlands (such as within the South Pole-Aitken basin) are not always covered by maria. The highlands are older than the visible maria, and hence are more heavily cratered.

Rename moon barren to Lunar Regolith

The surface of the Moon has been subject to billions of years of collisions with both small and large asteroidal and cometary materials. Over time, these impact processes have pulverized and "gardened" the surface materials, forming a fine grained layer termed "regolith". The thickness of the regolith varies between 2 meters beneath the younger maria, to up to 20 meters beneath the oldest surfaces of the lunar highlands. The regolith is predominantly composed of materials found in the region, but also contains traces of materials ejected by distant impact craters. The term "mega-regolith" is often used to describe the heavily fractured bedrock directly beneath the near-surface regolith layer.

The regolith contains rocks, fragments of minerals from the original bedrock, and glassy particles formed during the impacts. In most of the lunar regolith, half of the particles are made of mineral fragments fused by the glassy particles; these objects are called agglutinates. The chemical composition of the regolith varies according to its location; the regolith in the highlands is rich in aluminium and silica, just as the rocks in those regions. The regolith in the maria is rich in iron and magnesium and is silica-poor, as the basaltic rocks from which it is formed.

The lunar regolith is very important because it also stores information about the history of the Sun. The atoms that compose the solar wind – mostly helium, neon, carbon and nitrogen – hit the lunar surface and insert themselves into the mineral grains. Upon analyzing the composition of the regolith, particularly its isotopic composition, it is possible to determine if the activity of the Sun has changed with time. The gases of the solar wind could be useful for future lunar bases, since oxygen, hydrogen (water), carbon and nitrogen are not only essential to sustain life, but are also potentially very useful in the production of fuel. The composition of the lunar regolith can also be used to infer its source origin.

Rename Lunar Desert to Lunar Rilles

Rille (German for 'groove') is typically used to describe any of the long, narrow depressions in the lunar surface that resemble channels. Typically a rille can be up to several kilometers wide and hundreds of kilometers in length. However, the term has also been used loosely to describe similar structures on a number of planets in the Solar System, including Mars, Venus, and on a number of moons. All bear a structural resemblance to each other.

Rilles on the Moon sometimes resulted from the formation of localized lava channels. These generally fall into three categories, consisting of sinuous, arcuate, or linear shapes. By following these meandering rilles back to their source, they often lead to an old volcanic vent. One of the most notable sinuous rilles is the Vallis Schröteri feature, located in the Aristarchus plateau along the eastern edge of Oceanus Procellarum. An example of a sinuous rille exists at the Apollo 15 landing site, Rima Hadley, located on the rim of the Imbrium Basin. Based on observations from the mission, it is generally believed that this rille was formed by volcanic processes, a topic long debated before the mission took place.

Hydro said this is normal snow/ ice texture
Rename Moon Dunes to Lunar Ridges
Wrinkle ridges are features created by compressive tectonic forces within the maria. These features represent buckling of the surface and form long ridges across parts of the maria. Some of these ridges may outline buried craters or other features beneath the maria. A prime example of such an outlined feature is the crater Letronne.

Top Bottom