• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

C2C SVN Changelog

Koshling - Not sure where to post this, but I've attached a save game (Settings - Large/Epic, Immortal to Diety on Turn 65) in which at least one AI beat me to Sedentary Lifestyle (Egypt on Turn 145, whereas I reached it on Turn 156). That a fabulous AI performance - that's the fasted I've ever gotten to SL with these settings, & the AI still easily beat me. The logs are attached too in case they may be of some use. Two quick things:

1. There seemed to be fewer AI Trackers/Hunters than previously, though if this is the 'cost' of better AI teching, that's a good compromise.

2. I can't remember exactly, but I think Rome researched a few non-essential (at least to getting to SL) aquatic techs even though they are landlocked.

Attachments

• Theodora 5.rar
    2.8 MB · Views: 32
Just pushed to SVN (5286):
  • Fixed CTD that sometimes occurs shortly after a new game start or new game load (as implicated by SO's minidump)

Koshling - Not sure where to post this, but I've attached a save game (Settings - Large/Epic, Immortal to Diety on Turn 65) in which at least one AI beat me to Sedentary Lifestyle (Egypt on Turn 145, whereas I reached it on Turn 156). That a fabulous AI performance - that's the fasted I've ever gotten to SL with these settings, & the AI still easily beat me. The logs are attached too in case they may be of some use. Two quick things:

1. There seemed to be fewer AI Trackers/Hunters than previously, though if this is the 'cost' of better AI teching, that's a good compromise.

2. I can't remember exactly, but I think Rome researched a few non-essential (at least to getting to SL) aquatic techs even though they are landlocked.

Thanks for the logs. There are a few interesting points:

1) There are likely to actually be MORE hunters abroad than previously with the recent changes. The logs also back this up, showing quite a high population of scouting and hunting units, so I guess you just didn't see the high density areas so much

2) The tech path Rome took shows a few interesting points that may be worth tweaking. The path was this (just the targets - it will beeline between them as needed so you need to interpolate a bit):

Oral Tradition
Hard Hammer
Persistence Hunting
Cave Dwelling
Controlled Fire
Tracking
Cultural Identity
Shelter Building
Basketry
Trapping
Naturopathy
Natural Pigments
Simple Wood working
Trap fishing
Tattoos
Binding
Bead Making
Sewing
Wood Working
Carpentry
Shamanism
Barter
Warfare
Canine Domestication
Tribalism
Portable Shelters
Animal Husbandry
Chiefdom
Boat Fishing
Ideograms

Although this isn't quite the path I'd take, it doesn't seem too terribly flawed. The interesting (and possibly questionable) elements seem to me to be:

1) Should Tribalism be a bit more prioritized? - I notice that the AI usually goes for canine domestication (which IS an excellent tech) beforehand

2) The reason it diverts down the boat fishing track is that that tech reveals lots of bonuses, and bonus reveal value is considered independent of what territory is available (other factors relating to things like buildable units ARE sensitive to this). This is the way it is mostly because the XML doesn't say anything about where bonuses can occur, so the AI doesn't know that fish can only occur in water. In principal one could infer this (from bonus find the set of builds that provide it, from those find the set of units that can build them, from those find the domain), but it's a fair bit of processing (cacheable though at asset-load time) and you also need to bear in mind that bonuses can be traded once you know about them, so knowledge of fish is worth something even if you have no water access. I am inclined to say it should do the calculation to determine the domain the bonus can occur in and then adjust the value as follows:
2.1) Not a map bonus - divide by 2
2.2) Land map bonus - full value
2.3) Water map bonus - Sliding scale between 50 and 100% value proportionate to how many of your cities are coastal

3) The reason it targets Ideograms at the end (which includes Sedentary Lifestyle on the path to it, incidentally) is that it has a HUGE value attributed to 'Library of Ninevah', a Wonder that the tech enables. The value is clearly too large (it's 160000 for the component for that building alone, where the average entire tech is worth circa 4000 or so for most techs). I'll look into why this is and make some appropriate scaling adjustments.

2) The reason it diverts down the boat fishing track is that that tech reveals lots of bonuses, and bonus reveal value is considered independent of what territory is available (other factors relating to things like buildable units ARE sensitive to this). This is the way it is mostly because the XML doesn't say anything about where bonuses can occur, so the AI doesn't know that fish can only occur in water.
Map resources have the terrains and features they can occur on defined directly in the bonus XML, not the build XML.
As an example the fish resource XML contains this:
Code:
<TerrainBooleans>
				<TerrainBoolean>
					<TerrainType>TERRAIN_COAST</TerrainType>
					<bTerrain>1</bTerrain>
				</TerrainBoolean>
				<TerrainBoolean>
					<TerrainType>TERRAIN_OCEAN</TerrainType>
					<bTerrain>1</bTerrain>
				</TerrainBoolean>
			</TerrainBooleans>
That means the bonus can be on coast and ocean without features on them.

Actually it means any coast or terrains with or without features. If you want to limit it by feature you have to tell it one feature it can go on. Then it can't go on the other features.
No, if you use TerrainBooleans it only refers to terrain without features (that is the reason why the bonus in this case also specifies ocean as feature terrain with storm as feature as stormy ocean would not be covered by the terrainbooleans).

EDIT: Btw, do current maps spawn any of the water resources on the tropical or polar ocean/coast variants? It does not seem like they are actually used in the bonus XML.

No, if you use TerrainBooleans it only refers to terrain without features (that is the reason why the bonus in this case also specifies ocean as feature terrain with storm as feature as stormy ocean would not be covered by the terrainbooleans).
Sorry misread the code.

Map resources have the terrains and features they can occur on defined directly in the bonus XML, not the build XML.
As an example the fish resource XML contains this:
Code:
<TerrainBooleans>
				<TerrainBoolean>
					<TerrainType>TERRAIN_COAST</TerrainType>
					<bTerrain>1</bTerrain>
				</TerrainBoolean>
				<TerrainBoolean>
					<TerrainType>TERRAIN_OCEAN</TerrainType>
					<bTerrain>1</bTerrain>
				</TerrainBoolean>
			</TerrainBooleans>
That means the bonus can be on coast and ocean without features on them.

Ok, that makes it as bit easier then, though it only changes the mechanics of how to calculate it rather than the proposal on how to modify based on it above. Thanks for pointing this out.

My take on early tech prioritization would be:

Cave Dwelling without a beeline for Shelter Building should only happen if there are caves nearby.
Tracking is probably a better early target than Hard Hammer so you can start getting animals reliably ASAP.
After Tracking, Oral Tradition and Hard Hammer, Cultural Identity is an obvious target.
Shelter building is a nice production boost to grab after that.
Next pick up basketry if the production buildings it gives would be available, after that choose whether to beeline Druidism.
After Druidism is dealt with one way or another, beeline Bone Working, Raft Building and Drying.
Pick up Bead Making if income is a problem.
Choose whether to pursue Shamanism, and then beeline Tribalism/Canine Domestication depending on whether you have several canine-herdable animals banked or not (Does the AI bank animals it will be use a few techs into the future? Most of the herds available with Canine Domestication are definitely worth saving the animals for a few hundred turns)
With both Tribalism and Canine done, Chiefdom is the next obvious choice for a huge maintenance reduction.

Updates: (5289)

-Added a new tag for general work rate modifiers on promotions
-Added forgotten save/load code for hills work modifiers (sorry for forgetting)

Just exported Rev 5289 and the mod won't even load for millions of XML errors. Building DEBUG DLL now so I can pin it down better, but I suspect some schemas have not been updated for new tags or something...

Just exported Rev 5289 and the mod won't even load for millions of XML errors. Building DEBUG DLL now so I can pin it down better, but I suspect some schemas have not been updated for new tags or something...

See post 422 in the bud thread

Should be fixed now on the SVN, I copy-pasted poorly from my test copy to the SVN.

Just pushed to SVN (5291):
  • Fixed city commerce miscalculation after changing capitals (which includes founding your first city!)

Until something else changes the commerce modifier for a city the cached value was incorrect after a capital change (including making your first city the capital as happens automatically) if you are running any civic (or trait) that gives a capital commerce modifier. This was highly noticeable starting a new game as the Malagasy, since founding on turn 1 left me running -6 gold per turn at 100% science! (should have been -3 I think, based on the trait that gives -1 gold/turn + all the modifiers from starting civics)

EDIT: Btw, do current maps spawn any of the water resources on the tropical or polar ocean/coast variants? It does not seem like they are actually used in the bonus XML.

The variants for oceans and coasts are added after the placement of features and resources. So at placement time there are only coast and ocean.

Update:

-Removed some old useless branches of mine.

NOTE: This will decrease your local copy's size by at least 2 GB (if you have the root checked out, which all DLL modders probably do), and the old branch was something I made a while ago that never came to anything, so I see this as a good decision.

Top Bottom