1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Call To Arms: CBO Weekly Civ Challenge

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Funak, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Funak

Funak Deity

Finished a game as France on Immortal, aggressive tourism victory on turn 230, would have been faster, but you apparently need to adopt an ideology before you're allowed to win the game.

I spent most of the game in war with 3 people, the techleader(carthage) who kept building tragic coastal-cities next to my core-cities, my neighbor to the north (arabia) and my neighbor to the east (montezuma). This was was pretty much a stalemate, the Arabian lands were horrible so I didn't want to waste my time attacking him, but Montezuma had heavy terrain-advantage over me, loads of jungle and forest with no real way to park my trebuchets. I was also suffering heavily from strategic resource shortage, I had 2 horses(one which I accidentally traded away right before the war started) and 2 iron (mostly because I forgot to buy the 6 iron tile next to my third city).
    Montezuma eventually started offering me white peace, but since I wanted his land and not Arabia's I kept refusing, waiting for Arabia to offer a deal instead. Carthage also refused to offer me any peace-deals but on that front I could hold the line with just a few crossbows and landschneckt.
    The Arabians and the Aztecs were both attacking the same city by the way, and they ended up declaring war on each-other while still at war with me, this east-front conflict is probably the bloodiest war I've ever seen in civ, I was producing units in every city and spambuying landschneckts but my army never numbered more than 10 units. Units just kept dying on top of each-other, I probably killed twice the number of units I lost but it just didn't change anything.
    What finally did tip the scales was when I finally got to gunpowder and started throwing my gold at upgrading units to musketeers rather than buying landschneckts, it was a really slow process, as I wasn't able to run any caravans (all city-states in the neighborhood were at war with me as well), but the Muskteers unlike the pikes, longswords and landschneckts before them didn't actually die. They cut units down, healing from the authority policy then killing another, until they were ready to retreat, which they could easily do with their lightning warfare promotion. With the musketeers and cannons I managed to lay waste to the majority of the Arabian army including all of their camels which lead them to sign a peace-treaty where I got a bunch of gold which I used to upgrade more cannons. The growing army of not-dying musketeers on the east front meant that newly produced units didn't necessarily have to rush over there, which gave me a numbers advantage on the western front versus Carthage and allowed me to sack and burn their crappy coastal city, making resupplying a lot harder for them.

With my musketeers, my cannons(still stuck on 2 iron however) and about 4 great generals turned citadels I managed to bust down the Aztec border-city, and with the help of their road-network and their workers having removed most of the jungle in there I could keep my army rolling all the way to their capital, which I broke a few turns later. I also managed to recapture a really badly located city that I had settled in the middle of montys territory right before the war and which I was unable to defend during the war. Being down to 3 coastal cites with surprisingly little in-land territory Monty finally capitulated to me and became my vassal.

After this I used all the gold I got from my peace-deals and conquests to buy workers (think I ended up with around 20 of them for my 9 cities) to finally try and repair my battle-torn empire. Before this rebuilding-effort started I bet I actually had more pillaged than non-pillaged tiles in the empire, although a majority of them was around the recently conquered Aztec cities. At this point I was still at war with Carthage, who repeatedly tried to resettle their coastal city that I burned down earlier, she did occasionally send a larger forces across the ocean but this was not very much of a war, more like cleanup.

With Carthage still refusing to negotiate, Arabia decides that this was the time to strike, and launched a sneakattack towards my capital, but with my extremely experienced army left from the Aztec war and with production restored to my empire in the form of infrastructure from the rebuilding-period he couldn't scratch me. He had gunpowder units as well at this point, but I had level 9+musketeers and equally experienced cannons(a lot more than 2 at this point), so his army was scattered and destroyed within turns. I ran over his cities, collecting stolen art and culture-boosts, as well as a bunch of yields from Imperium+Hero Worship+Crusader Spirit, this caused me to finish out aesthetics as well as most of Industry. Also worth mentioning that Carthage agreed to a peace-deal as soon as Arabia attacked me which allowed me to start piling up trade-routes on her cities (at this point it was only her and Arabia that actually had a big enough culture-pool to be an issue).

I realized that it would take forever to managed to topple Arabia's sizable culture-pool (Carthage had a bigger one, but they also had a ton of cities so my tourism towards them was a lot higher), so I decided to just eliminate him from the game, burning all his cities to the ground.

Around this time I hit the Industrial era, giving me the ability to purchase my first great musician (I had pretty much been forced to completely neglect guilds in all cities for most of the game thanks to the endless war) and another one 5 turns later. At this point I had been in a golden age for like 50 turns thanks to GAP from city-conquest, Taj mahal, the Aesthetics finisher and an artist from Uffizi, and I had been in double culture for almost the same time from my conquests of the Aztec and then Arabian cities (also liberated a city-state along the way), so these Musicians were powerful and both of them together brought my tourism above the Carthage culturepool.

At this point I sat quietly and waited, picking off spawning Partisans from the burning former Arabian cities until I finally got the Industry finisher, which allowed me to adopt Autocracy and win the game.

2. Rean

Rean Chieftain

In contrast to your very exciting game, I just played a game as France where I got put on my own island and just sim-citied up all game long, winning an easy cultural victory around modern era. Gonna try another one to see if I can get a little more excitement.

3. Funak

Funak Deity

That's probably the absolute best part about France, with the golden age addition to the UA you can totally just go for a classical tradition-start. Maybe gain yourself some colonies with your Musketeer timing but in general just sitting back.
    This gives France so many different options, I mean how many civs can claim that all 3 starting-trees are just as viable for them?

4. Rean

Rean Chieftain

Yeah, their versatility puts them up there as one of the best designed civs IMO. But I'm probably biased towards civs with that duality-style in general (as in, France being Culture-Warmonger, Assyria Science-Warmonger, Greece Diplo-Warmonger etc.). I feel like it just feels so much more interesting than a single minded focus like Zulus, Babylon etc.

5. ExpiredReign

ExpiredReign Deity

Nice write-up @Funak, I'm curious to know how you managed to get Taj Mahal and still produce military units all the time. Did you have Paris setup as the wonder producer and another for military?
    Curious as to your opening policy selection? I've won with both Tradition and Authority as France before.

6. Funak

Funak Deity

Actually by the time Taj mahal was available I didn't really have to produce units anymore. Well I kept building a few in satellite cities, but as I got peace-deals going, the number of units needed to hold some fronts decreased and I could send most of the troops back to assist the active fronts. And even before that when I got access to Musketeers I didn't really need full military production anyways, I don't even think I built a single Musketeer in Paris all game. Don't get me wrong I was spamproducing musketeers in other cities, but Paris had quite a bit of free time to pursue wonders. Industry helped a whole lot later on as well, being able to buy soldiers and rush buildings and wonders is really helpful.

As to the Policy-path I was sure I had written that somewhere, I probably removed it during some editing for some reason. I went for Authority -> Aesthetics -> Industry this game.

7. ExpiredReign

ExpiredReign Deity

Yeah gotta love that policy selection, it does very well for France and other culture behemoths. Authority helps with the military while you can focus on producing culture with Aesthetics and Industry just balances them together while you await an ideology.

8. Funak

Funak Deity

I'm having a bit of a rough time when deciding between Rationalism and Industry. I guess it should come down to which monopolies and how many monopolies you've managed to gather. I do also feel like Imperialism should be a valid choice, but I like to think I'm done conquering by the time the Civilizing missions comes online. Also for some reason the tree feels slightly weak when you're actually exclusively inland-based.

funny thing, I was so out of it when I read your last post that I spent 30 minutes writing a detailed guide to when to pick which policy-tree and which order to go for policies in what situation before I realized that was not what you were asking :D. Good times.

By the way, if you feel like sharing your France experience, deliver some feedback or walk us through a game you're absolutely welcome to. Have a nice day.

9. ExpiredReign

ExpiredReign Deity

Sadly the CivV gods are conspiring against me again.
    A couple of betas ago I was trying a lot of different policy choices as France and was generally doing very well only to suffer from that terrible system freeze bug. Now it appears to have returned for me.
    Current game I consider myself a long way in front and I'm preparing for the battles that will soon come my way from the other civs. However no matter what I do now I am suffering this freeze bug and it completely sucks the fun from trying to continue for the win.

Authority -- Aesthetics -- (not yet there)
    Head of Catholicism and leader of the converted city tally by 2:1

8 completed wonders in Paris and 4 other good production cities that are ready to supply as many units as I need. The landmass has more Iron than I'm used to and it's all MINE!!!! Come and try to take it from me.

I think I'll ditch this game and try another, just tired of rebooting my machine every 10-20 turns.

10. Funak

Funak Deity

Is your machine actually freezing? I had an annoying bug that caused civ to lock up and demand priority window meaning I couldn't shut it down. Somewhat solved it by changing task manager priority to always on top which allowed me access to it, which allowed me to shut civ down without rebooting. But I'm guessing that's not the same issue you're having.

11. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

Is it a soft lock? Are you using any other mods? Get rid of all non-VP stuff.

G

12. ExpiredReign

ExpiredReign Deity

Not sure what your definition of "soft-lock" is but for me I have no ability to use my mouse inside other programmes, such as Task Manager, so I can't kill any errant tasks.

The music continues to play as though the game is just processing but nothing actually is being done. Notifications freeze on the screen when it occurs during the AI's turn and if it occurs when I assign tasks to units the whole screen is frozen, can't pan the map or call menus or anything with the mouse.

The truly weird thing is I've played a dozen or so games with the current setup and saw no issue, yet when I chose France it happened as it did for me earlier. As I mentioned in GitHub surely that is just coincidental!?

13. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

Possibly – did you trigger anything when it happened? If I can't reproduce the lock, I'm at a loss.

G

14. Funak

Funak Deity

You can't use your mouse or you can't access to program? Because if you just can't use your mouse you can definitely still close programs, just use some clever arrow-keying and then press delete on civ5.

15. ExpiredReign

ExpiredReign Deity

First time it was when I assigned a worker with the unitpanel tasks, second time it was during the AI turns so no input from me. Subsequent times also showed no triggers that I could note.
    Truthfully I don't see how you can fix anything with the description I posted in GitHub, but my hope was that perhaps others were likewise seeing this and they could add further details. No harm in keeping it open for a long time, it's not like this is detrimental to the VP brand.

Yeah I possibly could do that but for me at least it is just easier to play another civ.
    Currently about to conquer the world as Japan.

16. tompliss

tompliss Warlord

Hey Funak,

I was trying to get a game as France going, but didn't finish it.
    Basically, I was going with the Tall Cultural 3-city thing.
    Immortal difficulty, Continents map, Epic speed, standard size.

I spawned on the edge of a continent with 5 civs (another continent, beyond a deep ocean had the other 3), near Spain. Isabella provided a sort of buffer between me and the other civs, but her empire stayed small, I didn't understand why.

France felt nice, and I was basically in the first places of my continent in culture and science. The game was getting boring, though, as I managed not to get in any war (thanks to Isabella reducing the tension with the others while not being able to get a big army).

When discovering the other civs, I remembered that there were big religion wars in my continent, and saw that they shared the same religion. I think it may have played a role in their advance (they didn't spend resources in futile piety oriented things). They had 5-10 techs in advance on me, while I was the only one in Renaissance.

They were beating me in army size (obviously), Science, Culture, and number of delegates (even without the CS allies). I was trying to finish the game this week, but it is much less fun when you know you can't really get back in the race.

(I know I could try to steal their techs, but Washington and Montezuma already don't like me and threaten me :/ )

Anyway, the Chateaux felt great, and I didn't get a chance to use the musketeers. The Paris tourism bonus felt great too, getting me influential over some of my neighbors, early.
    One thing to note, though : the impact of tourism in the early and mid-game feels really weak. I was happy I was influential over Spain, but after all, it didn't really matter.

17. Funak

Funak Deity

Thanks for the contribution, it was a nice read.

If you want some feedback I could tell you how I see playing the tradition France game, and how to avoid some of the problems you were facing.

The key that you kinda have to remember even when playing tradition and going peaceful is that your gunpowder timing is still super-strong, so when you get access to musketeers and cannons you do kinda want to attack someone. Preferably you want to attack someone with good land, who is close to you and who is building wonders. Preferably someone who isn't doing that well in tech or army size or someone who is already at war with others.
    You want to go in there, raze or liberate bad cities, puppet or annex good cities all while enjoying the stolen art or double culture you get from capture.
    Extra culture is not going to help you catching up in science and such but it is going to allow you to finish out your policy-trees faster, and that in turn is pretty good for science and getting wonders.

The key to keeping up in science is finding your best teching neighbor and make sure you bombard him with trade-routes, extra science from trade-routes means a whole lot more when you're low on cities. Also while focusing all trade-routes on the same guy you're going to build your tourism advantage over him faster, which in turn gives you more science more gold and more growth from your trade-routes. Make sure you're prioritizing getting caravansary and customhouse up in your capital(assuming that's where you send your routes from) and make sure you're working all scientist slots in all ciites.

18. IcyAngel

IcyAngel Prince

Have had the same thing happen to me recently, multiple times.

19. Funak

Funak Deity

This weeks challenge got slightly delayed because trouble in timing, lack of internet and an event I had to attend to, sorry about that, but anyways here it is.

This week we abandon Napoleon and France, and instead move to a country that is clearly superior in every way, ever, Portugal.
    Portugal is most famous outside of civilization because they won some big sport-event recently (I think) and most famous inside of civilization because their leader, Maria the Mad, is completely insane and irrational.
    I've got the feeling that a lot of people haven't actually given Maria the chance she deserves,I've heard a lot of talk about her useless UA and about people not having tried out the new Feitoria despite it being months old at this point, so I figured this way we would all work together and change the perspective of the forum towards this quaint little country.

If I may suggest, don't pick a full island map (the AI seems to be terrible at them) but pick something where you can guarantee a coastal start (for Feitoria) and where you think most city-states are going to be coastal (for Feitoria). Other than that, try to stay alive until your uniques start kicking in and remember to build a lot of trade-units early.

20. tompliss

tompliss Warlord

IIRC, the Continents++ maps (and maybe the simple continents+) are good for this.