Camel archers should get bonus vs horse and free march promo

Jellybug

Warlord
instead of the withdraw chance. (In addition to would be slightly imba).

I get that the withdraw chance gets at their skirmishing potential, but horses were afraid of camels and didn't like the stink. Camels are slower, but have better stamina, which warrants March promotion. I just think this would still be balanced and express the nomadic nature of a bedouin army better than the current iteration of the unit.

That's a good question. 25% seems too much, and would put them on par with cuirassiers. Then again, that may be okay. I think 15% bonus is underwhelming though, barely beats a combat promotion. The thing is, there's not really a good answer to knights. Even a pikeman is even money against combat II knights, so giving a medium-large bonus might be appropriate.

What do you think?

I think 25% is fine. Would make them very powerful but still weaker than a cataphract, I'd say, and the Arabians suck as much as the Byzantines otherwise so it's probably OK.

The premier counter against knights are war elephants. War elephants may be a bit too good against knights actually. You are correct that pikemen are not great against knights but an unpromoted pikeman does beat a C2 knight on the attack at least so they do have some deterrence value.

Last edited:
Well - you could try it then.

Just remember to make a copy of your assets folder (including sub-folders) as back-up before you change anything.

Sort of, yes.

Both the Byzantines and the Arabians are badly hampered by their woeful starting techs. Justinian himself is a capable leader in MP too. I have even chosen him in one of my games. However, MP games at my usual stomping ground are played with unrestricted leaders.

On the other hand, knights are much stronger in MP than in SP (at least if war elephants are banned or nerfed as they often are). Thus the Byzantines have occasionally been chosen by people hoping to ride their cataphracts to victory. I can't remember anyone ever playing Arabia voluntarily. :D

I really like that idea for Camel Archer: March & +25% vs. mounted. I’m all for having unique units actually be somewhat impactful. Both features seem pretty useful (chasing down encroaching knights, taking out a unit here then traveling elsewhere and healing, hitting in a stack after siege and then hitting again next turn after recovering some, etc.). Yet doesn’t seem overpowered to me (?).

Now excuse me, but I'm somewhat confused about what players really want with this game.

On one hand, many only want to play with the "original" game plus a few really needed mods. Those players have surely their reasons and I'm not going to question their choice,

But many others wants one or another change for a specific reason. Well then - to those I say: Why don't you try to play with a mod, that actually IS updated with players input - and where the "anchor" (aka Walther Hawkwood) read, listen and remember, even if he often writes something different.

If you think the Berbers are weak (in the latest update).... then you are completely wrong.

The mod I'm writing about - well that should be obvious................

:big-grin:

You need to go to the the homepage of the mod......

Top Bottom