Camel Resource

Perhaps instead of replacing the Mesopotamian sheep, a camel resource could be added 3S of it. This way it can be worked from Jerusalem, Bagdad(sp?) and Damascus.

I would like to mention that camels were essential for the Silk Road in history. In RFCA (Asia), camel is a resource that enables Silk Road trades. I would propose some camels around the Northwest China and central Asia, along the Silk road

Besides the more Obvious cameloids (Llamas, Vicunas, Guanacos, Alpacas) in the Americas nowadays there is being experimented with Camas (a dromedary-Llama hybrid) for increased wool and meat production (compared to Llamas/Alpacas).

(If a genetics tech is still available in the modern age their presence might be linked to that.)

~​

At some point in time the USA had an United States Camel Corps (link -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Camel_Corps )

In an alternate history without the American civil war (and perhaps another war with Mexico instead) it is not unlikely there would be a population of Camels in the Chihuahuan Desert ((part of the) border between present day USA and Mexico)

I think it may be a nice idea to have Camels appear preferably / only next to Oases tiles. Given the amount and location of current Oasis tiles, this could work quite well.

I think that a new Camel resource would fit into the game very well:
- prereq for Camel Archer UU
- make some desert city locations more interesting
- could replace some current sheep resources
- I'm thinking of +1 health, no building
- more resource variety for arid regions

Animated art exists so that's not a problem. I'm opening this thread mostly to hear your suggestions about where to put Camel resources and where they should replace existing resources. For context, I think this should represent both Bactrian camels and dromedaries, but not American camelid species.

As this was my suggestion some months ago, I feel it necessary to clarify a few things. Yes, Camels are far more important for global history than elephants for example. In fact I find it incredulous that there are elephants, but no camels already present.

Camels were used for caravan routes, not only in Africa and the Middle East, but across Central Asia and into China (not to mention North West India). Camels were critical for the trades survival, as they were the best pack animals for the job, and were far more dexterous than horses (not to mention much easier to feed and water).

Health bonus doesn't make sense; although the Bedouin Arabs did use different parts of the camel for medicinal purposes, its true purpose was commerce. It should give a gold bonus for sure.

As for Camels in armies, as I have also already explained, camels, with some exceptions, were NOT used in warfare. They were used primarily for logistical services, but unless you were dirt poor, you would then switch to your fresh horse to ride into battle. The Arabs in the 7th century, used Horses in their battles, even though they rode INTO the battle on camels. This is why I said to remove the Arab UU, and replace it with a guy on a horse OR a foot soldier OR a Ghulam/Mamluk (slave soldier).

Only the poor used camels for battle, if you were a rich civilization, you used horses for battle (fighting on a camel is very difficult, especially if you don't have the correct saddle).

If/When you add camels, make sure to add some to add some to Central Asia (Turkmenistan), Tarim Basin (still too arid), and the Thar desert.

I would recommend you find a sprite for the one-humped camel (Dromedary), however the most common for trade was the Bukht (Dromedary / Bactrian hybrid).

EDIT: I am quite pleased that my 2000th comment on civfanatics... is about camels! ;)

Besides the more Obvious cameloids (Llamas, Vicunas, Guanacos, Alpacas) in the Americas nowadays there is being experimented with Camas (a dromedary-Llama hybrid) for increased wool and meat production (compared to Llamas/Alpacas).

(If a genetics tech is still available in the modern age their presence might be linked to that.)

~​

At some point in time the USA had an United States Camel Corps (link -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Camel_Corps )

In an alternate history without the American civil war (and perhaps another war with Mexico instead) it is not unlikely there would be a population of Camels in the Chihuahuan Desert ((part of the) border between present day USA and Mexico)

Is it possible to ride llamas and other new world camels? If yes... it would definitely be cool to have a camel resource in Mexico for alternate history aztec camel archers.

Is it possible to ride llamas and other new world camels? If yes... it would definitely be cool to have a camel resource in Mexico for alternate history aztec camel archers.

Largest llamas weight about 200 kg. Their maximum carry weight is 25 to 30 percent of their body weight. That is 50 to 60 kg for largest specimens. Considering people back then were generaly smaller than modern day people, it might be possible to ride llama in theory. In practice maximum carry weight has been achieved using them as back animals wich distriputes weight around the body more equally than rider. Also llamas only lived in Andean cost before Europeans started to export them. I think South American camelids are better represented with sheep than with camel resource.

Why not add salt resource. Before industrial revolution it was rare enough tombe fought wars over. Rise of Mali and Poland were largely influenced by salt trade.

I think South American camelids are better represented with sheep than with camel resource.
I agree. They seem mostly relevant as a source of wool.

Why not add salt resource. Before industrial revolution it was rare enough tombe fought wars over. Rise of Mali and Poland were largely influenced by salt trade.
Okay, the problem here is that this isn't a resource that would necessarily be placed on tiles that are barren (desert) or already have a different resource. I'm reluctant to turn further empty plots into resources because some places will be only resources at some point.

But maybe you have a suggestion for placement that can convince me otherwise.

I don't think salt should be tile resource, because the salt that was historically significant in most cases, was made in evaporation pools (such as in France and China), and thus, wasn't a localised resource as such, but something that hypothetically could've been created in many places. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that salt wasn't mined widely until the Industrial Revolution.

As an example for the other side of the argument, however, salt was very important in France throughout the middle ages and onward. There was a state monopoly of salt from the 1200s, and citizens were obliged to buy ridiculous amounts of salt at inflated prices. This, and that the nobility became increasingly exempt from it, was one of the driving factors behind the French Revolution.

I don't think salt should be tile resource, because the salt that was historically significant in most cases, was made in evaporation pools (such as in France and China), and thus, wasn't a localised resource as such, but something that hypothetically could've been created in many places. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that salt wasn't mined widely until the Industrial Revolution.
In central-Europe salt mining was very significant in the Middle Ages.
Especially in the Kingdom of Poland and the Kingdom of Hungary, but also in Austria to some extent.

A building could provide the resource if you really want it?

Edit: but then you would get tons of resources... It is maybe better captured by the a smokehouse like structure with health bonus.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that salt wasn't mined widely until the Industrial Revolution.

Salt mining was a massive industry, as was the entire tax basis of certain Chinese dynasties, like the Han Dynasty, which taxed it heavily. Salt mining is a massive industry to be sure. But we are not here for salt, we are here for camels. Camels of course were used to transport salt from mines to sellers. Why are they not in the game yet! (a question for Sid Meir) :mad:

Camelids in the Americas, specifically Alpacas and Llamas were used for trade extensively. However the fact that they could not be ridden made them a bit more troublesome. Nonetheless, they were used frequently on the Imperial highway system up and down the Andes. There wool is also important (like the wool of Bactrian/Bukht camels), but this is why I would give Camels (and Llamas/Alpacas if added), a commerce bonus, followed by a production bonus. Health and food are marginal uses, mostly by nomads who don't have better options at their disposal (for food and medicine).

Possible ideas:
- Put camels on oasis tiles and on riverside-desert-but-not-FP tiles.
- +100% production of markets with camels?
- Silk route can use camels as resource (may be, instead of cotton).
- Camel pasture should provide mostly :commerce: rather than :food: or :hammers:.
I don't think camels should provide :health:, but again, I think most resources like corn/rice/sugar/pigs/deer should provide no :health: too. If you want middle eastern and Egyptian :health: resource, dates are better for that, I suppose (and Egypt should have cows).

Top Bottom