Can AI have a better mind for building city?

8ha8ha

Chieftain
E.G. the tile without fresh water while nearby 8 tiles have fresh water......Who built such a foolish city

Also it's crazy for 1200 Spanish city, Spain just want to go to hill to defend without any fresh water??

I can't speak for Absinthe, but AFAIK this is a problem with the BtS AI that carried over into RFCE. (It was probably an issue back with vanilla Civ4, but I don't remember.) The AI in BtS just loves to found cities that would be coastal if they were 1W, have gold in the BFC if they were 1N, be riverside if they were 1E, and have two more food resources if they were 1S. Or hey, let's settle right on this Wheat instead, just so we can make sure this city has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. (Which the human player gets to discover centuries later, whilst stomping.)

In most of the RFCE games I've played, it's actually not as bad as I've seen in regular BtS. I think the mods have been able to avoid some of the worse spots by giving the AI stronger desires to settle on this tile instead of that (see some of the AI's settler maps, the spots that the AI is really geared toward are... yellow? can't remember, but they're obvious). Also, we've kicked around ideas in the past on how to avoid this, but IIRC none of them were very satisfactory. Resettler units that you can use to drain a (bad) city's population to avoid the raze instability, things of that sort.

Top Bottom