Can sombody suggest me the SAFEST way to play ROM without CTD in the modern ERA?

kobe2clutch

Chieftain
I don't really care for the BARBS or the Revolution mod. Can somebody tell me the safest settings to play ROM in?

no rev mod
no barbs
and what else do I need to turn off?

I'm already playing this game w/o revolution and I'm getting CTD in my save. Thats why I had to ask what else to shut off

they might be MAF crashes that firaxis just dosnt care enough about their game to fix. i have 512 MB of video memory on my graphics card and my save games start to MAF when they hit 2500 KB. wtf.

Maybe I missed out on something, but what does your graphic card memory or even system memory have to do with the actual size of the save game? :crazyeye:

I would turn off those barbs and you should be fine. I am still in my game game with everything turned on. 1890 now and still no crash. the OEM 23 civs world map.

Maybe I missed out on something, but what does your graphic card memory or even system memory have to do with the actual size of the save game? :crazyeye:
The more units, buildings, improvements the saved game file has, the more memory your computer needs to show them all and the bigger the saved game file gets - it's direct relation between those two things. Eventually you might run into situation where too many things are visible in the screen and your graphic card runs out of memory and causes crash. This issue has been in all games that uses Gamebryo engine (for example Morrowind and Oblivion suffered from MAFs as well) due to some memory leak bugs.

S whats the solution to this? Better graphics card? And Ive heard of this memory leak problem before, I think I may be suffering from it... Is there any fix for it?

Are you using XP? If so have you checked your BIOS settings?

Under Chipset Settings scroll down to AGP Aperture Setting. If it says 64mb and your Video card has more than 64Mb of ram, then change the Aperture Setting to match the ram on your v-card. I.E. if your v-card has 256mb of ram set the AGP Aperture Setting to 256mb, 128 set to 128mb, etc..

This has helped some players slowdown or eliminate late game CTDs.

Ps. Warning! Do NOT set the AGP to More ram than your V-card has! (Ex: Don't set it to 512mb when you only have 256mb of V-card ram)

JosEPh

"Under Chipset Settings scroll down to AGP Aperture Settings..."

And where would I find these options using XP?

Who cares about xp? Where do I find them on Vista (Home Premium)????????

Its in the bios settings when you start up your system >>
You could be running linux and they'd be there, the system doesn't matter for your computers bios settings (at least to some extent)

"Under Chipset Settings scroll down to AGP Aperture Settings..."

And where would I find these options using XP?
Some motherboards don't have that option in BIOS settings - just checked yesterday mine and it didn't have aperture size settings.

Since I use XP Pro and my Asus motherboard BIOS settings Does have them , is why I only suggested it for XP users. My oldest son discovered it when checking out my computer a week or so ago. Similarly my youngest son's Mo Board is also an Asus and that's why it worked for him as well.

So no matter what OS you run if yu access you suystems BIOS setting when you start your computer you can then check under Chipset Settings to see if it contains the AGP Aperture setting or not. If it does, then match your setting to your v-card ram. If not, well......I'm sorry you can't. :(

It is worth a look see. :)

JosEPh

Some motherboards don't have that option in BIOS settings - just checked yesterday mine and it didn't have aperture size settings.

It's widely known that all computers produced by Hewlett Packard and it's puppet Compaq don't have V-cards because they use integrated graphics, which is dramatically slower than a card. Since they use integrated graphics, the BIOS and processor are twined too tightly together, disallowing any overclocking.

It's widely known that all computers produced by Hewlett Packard and it's puppet Compaq don't have V-cards because they use integrated graphics, which is dramatically slower than a card. Since they use integrated graphics, the BIOS and processor are twined too tightly together, disallowing any overclocking.
Aye, I just hate those computer packages sold by HP and other manufacturers. I've always custom built my computers from parts so that I get exactly what I want :D

I just played a whole game through on huge with 20 players with no memory allocation or crash up to 1920 where i won. All i did was disable espionage therefore you dont see the entire worlds city radius. it also speeds up the turns.

Zappara!

You are the OBAMA of this game!

THANKS!

U made my day! No more CTD's!

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I got to the end playing this way:

- Standard map size
- Revolutions on
- Barbarians and BarbCiv off
- DCM all off

Next game i'll turn Barbs on.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to disable revolutions. I've set the Cultural, Religious and Civic revolution booleans to false in the Revolution.ini, but they still take place. Would someone be kind enough to post their .ini file for ROM 2.4?

Top Bottom