1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Can you stop that guy reading stuff out?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Abaxial, Jan 21, 2018.

1. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

I would rather listen to Nimoy saying "Beep. Beep. Beep." than having Bean reading about how the Roman Empire collapsed due to air conditioning, Mount Kilimanjaro lacking Wi-Fi, and other such atrocities.

It's interesting to hear Bean narrate, but only once. Afterwards, I get annoyed.

I disabled all voices in-game; if I want to hear leader voices, there's always here: https://soundcloud.com/user-137283764/sets

2. DanaLea

DanaLea Prince Supporter

I miss Leonard Nimoy. *sigh*

3. spfun

spfun King

I know a mod for civ 5 was made to add in Leonard Nimoy quotes, hasn't been done for Civ 6 to my knowledge. Civ 6 is the one where its needed! I didn't have a problem with Civ 5 quotes, quite liked the horseback riding one.

4. The Technomancer

The Technomancer Chieftain

I mute until the globe comes up and futz with my phone/check forums and such during that time.

5. TheSpaceCowboy

TheSpaceCowboy The Gangster of Love

For Civilization VII I'm hoping Firaxis gets Logan Cunningham (Bastion, Transistor, Pyre). He's the most underrated voice actor in games.

Zaarin likes this.
  6. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Beep beep beep was classic. Nimoy in cIV was really the icing on the cake. :goodjob:

I do like the Mount Kilimanjaro one, though. It is poking fun at someone dependent on technology and it is hilarious. :D

7. Paideia

Paideia Warlord

What really annoys me about Sean Bean's voicework is how frequently he mispronounces names.. Some times I can just picture him as Ash from Evil Dead; Klaatu, Barada, N......

Zaarin, Dragabond and Duuk like this.
  8. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I always see Sean as Sharpe and so I forgive him, he is just a Napoleonic footslogger with no education.
    I think I would tire of anyone saying the same thing over and over, to me its a sonic attack of sorts so I just have to turn it off.

9. unpossible251

unpossible251 Warlord

Quiet your filthy mouths! Sean Bean is going to be my husband. I will make him so happy. Once he's safe in my basement, we will never need anything again.

Victoria likes this.
  10. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

That's great news, good luck... any way I can help?

Dearmad and unpossible251 like this.
  11. Art Morte

Art Morte Prince

I've played without any sounds for a while now, usually listening to radio instead. The only negative is that you don't hear the barbarian camp spawn sound.

12. h0nk0815

h0nk0815 Warlord

I hope Sogno Di Volare stays in the extension.

13. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

There is a speech volume in the audio options. Doesn't that mute the narrator? Or does that only/also mute the conversations of leaders?

Edit: I tried it out. The speech volume mutes/sets the volume of both the leaders and the narrator (loading a game and quotes).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  14. Abaxial

Abaxial Prince

I guess I find Yorkshire accents wearying.

God of Kings likes this.
  15. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Maybe we can get Morgan Freeman, James Earl Jones, Helen Mirren, or David Attenborough for Civ VII.

But I doubt it. Leonard Nimoy was such a treasure. Civ V's narrator wasn't bad either--his delivery was better than Sean's (with all due apologies to Lord Stark).

16. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

Civ 7 should use Smoggies only.

17. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

Starcraft Adjutant voice actor ladies. So calm and peaceful. Remove the robo-voice digitizer and call them gold.

18. Goliht

Goliht Warlord

Get yourself a better pc.. my games load before Sean gets even midway through the intro. That's on a huge map with 8-12 civs.

The seconds on this forum are very long.. wait 34 seconds.. wait 17 seconds.. now i can post.. :D

19. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

James Earl Jones is still one of my favorite male voices. Morgan Freeman is always nice as well. Captain Sisko is always nice as well, but I think he's retired.

For female voices, I'm not sure any stand out. I always like Jennifer Hale of course. I can't think of any others at the moment.

We could always get the computer voice that says Turn Complete from SMAC. :lol:

Zaarin likes this.
  20. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

Please don't go, the pops need you...