1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Canada as a Civ?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Varitok, May 28, 2016.

1. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

That is me. The peacemaker/middle-power mythos of Canada is an agenda that would essentially be game throwing.

We pride ourselves for being America's friend, but friendly enough to be able to say no to them. We cherish our independent foreign policy, as we maintained relations with Cuba despite the embargo. That feels more like a city-state than a Civ does it not?

Canada (Ottawa) as a city-state that gives some sort of diplomatic bonus, voting bonus, influence bonus for justified wars would be a nice suzerain bonus. That's what we as Canadians do.

On the flip side of the coin, we're also a vast trading power, that I suppose could be slotted as Venice lite. Or Vancouver could be a mercantile/trade City-State.

But that's if we're trying to be historical. A lot of Civs make it purely to capture a market. This is particularly true of the nation state Civs of Europe. So Canada will be in if Firaxis want us to be in. I just don't think w'ere a particularly good fit but it hasn't stopped them before.

2. King William I

King William I Prince

Eh, I don't really care either way. There are some civs I want in game (namely Sumer) and once/if I get that, the rest doesn't matter. It's why I hate having Assyria in CiV

3. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Canada would be nice to finally be in a Civilization game. After all, the creator of Civ is Canadian. ;)

However, if it doesn't happen, it's no big deal.

What is a big deal is people demeaning my native country. A state of no consequence, irrelevant, indistinguishable from the USA, etc. Absolute rubbish.

4. Monado

Monado King

Yeah that has been brought up already.

5. daft

daft The fargone

Hey.
    Did you ever play CIV I?
    Do you know how many civs were included in the first game of the series as compared to CIV V?

Sid didn't put Canada in, you so-called expert, because only the most well known/accomplished historical nations were included in the 1st game-except for Zulu, who were included solely based on Chaka's fame ( just like Attila in CV) and the need to include another African nation besides Egypt for Earth Maps sake.

With the game's designers ever expanding the total number of civilizations with each new iteration and expansion there is more than enough room for Canada.

And us being hardly different from US? What an ignorant bunch of crap that is! Whoever says that has no idea what he/she is typing up and better just shut it instead of making a fool out of himself.

Moderator Action: Please avoid attacking other users - discuss the topic civilly.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

6. Monado

Monado King

I was just quoting a simple joke Thormodr seems to have skipped over a few pages back.

"So called expert"? Where did I ever call myself an expert. You're the one acting like you know exactly why Sid chose each particular Civ in 1.

"With the game's designers ever expanding the total number of civilizations with each new iteration and expansion there is more than enough room for Canada."
    I completely disagree. There is no room what so ever for Canada. They are so far down the list of civs that I would ever want to see included. Everything here http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=567299 would be more interesting to me.

7. Thormodr

Lol. Well, your mind's made up then.

Before now, I was kind of ambilivent to the idea of Canada being in CIV and was more annoyed at the people using derogatory language towards my native country.

However, now I wish for Canada to be included in Civ VI just to irritate and cause angst for the cultural elite on these forums. :D

8. m15a

m15a Emperor

Ditto... except the opposite. I was ambivalent, but now I want it to be excluded from Civ VI just to irritate and cause angst for the cultural elite on these forums. [emoji14]

9. Thormodr

Whatever you want to do. :dunno:

There are some people on these forums that are being quite mean spirited. It's quite sad, really, as for the most part people are quite "civilized" on these forums.
    Nobody who wishes the inclusion of Canada is being mean spirited or is into tearing down other countries. :)

10. m15a

m15a Emperor

Yes, "cultural elite" or elitist is different than mean spirited, and although I haven't read the whole thread (so I can't say for sure there aren't mean-spirited people in favor of including Canada), I see what you're saying.

11. Thormodr

Well,this idea that old is always better. Like Shakespearean English is the pure form of English and that the English we speak nowadays is guttural. A kind of linguistic elitism/snobbery. I dealt with that when studying English linguistics. :sad:

Anyway, we'll wait and see how it pans out. :)

12. nunor

nunor King

OK, legitimate question here: since I'm an ignorant brute, can you Canadians tell me in a quick, summarised way, what are Canada's main arguments for being included in the game? I'll accept anything from charismatic leaders to historical accomplishments to great names of arts and science to unique gameplay potential.

13. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

Helped Win two world wars
    Founding member of NATO
    Instrumental in setting up the UN
    Seen as an impartial 3rd party on many issues (Suzerain bonus)
    Helped setup the UN peacekeeping role
    Poutine & Maple Syrup (luxury)

Ok the list is a bit tongue in cheek but Canada is as deserving as Sweden or any European nation state to be added as a city state :p

14. lp_04

lp_04 Prince

I have nothing against Canada. Really enjoyed the Mod for Civ V. And let me say, If I ever travel to america, Canada is my main choice for some reason. Just attracted.

Still, I don't see them represented in Vanilla, If I were to make a "top of Civilizations", Canada would appear at level 50 perhaps.

Still, Canada has a somewhat interesting historical factors that could make it a very strong diplomatic civ for the late game. But the problem in including Canada as a civn in Vanilla or any DLC is that it will replace some existing civs. Perhaps in some expansion! But I wouldn't like to see them that soon as 6 months.

15. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Cut your lousy hairs!

No Canada please!!! I hate toundra starts :)

I'm joking, i would like to see them before last expansion in 2020...

16. sw00p LEV

sw00p LEV Chieftain

Canada should be in Civ 6 for a number of reasons:-we're the second largest country in the world
    -Canada played a huge role in WW1 and WW2 and were known for very sucsessful WW2 battle stratigies
    -Canada has a extensive diplomatic history despite its young age
    -Canada fended off and defeated their larger American neighbors in the war of 1812
    -there's numerous options for UU like the Avero Arrow, UB like hockey rinks, UI like special forts, and UA relating to diplomacy, culture or perhaps defense
    I think the best leaders for the Canadian civ would be either Pearson or Laurier or Mackenzie King

17. darko82

darko82 Emperor

Some people from Canada are not objective here. I do not want Canada.

18. Staler87

Staler87 Warlord

I, personally, would like very strict criteria for what is a civ to add thematic value to the game. Something like the people of the civilization must have existed in that geographic location for 1000 years to be included. So a place like italy (rome->lombardy->HRE/others->bunch of city states->italy) would still count. The culture and people have existed as a civilization for thousands as years just with different names for the states. Meso-American civs also warrant inclusion but I don't get the aboriginal civs from north america. They didn't really make cities in any modern or past sense of the word. How do they warrant inclusion in a game centered around cities?

My definition will probably not be used because TSL would be ruined. There is literally no civilization that qualifies in all of North America and Australia. I still think it works thematically though.

I think that we have already seen the abandonment of any theme with the inclusion of a civ like America that was a minor power until the 20th century and only warrants inclusion due to this fact (and the fact American ultra-nationalists would be angered if it wasn't). Canada currently has one of the seven largest economies in the world has had a track record of promoting international peace and was ranked second on a recent, comprehensive, list of 'best countries in the world to live in'. Canada was one of the founding members of the UN, NATO, and one of it's citizens was a designer of the league of nations. It's troops were used as the 'shock' forces of the British corps in WWI and WWII (especially in WWI). Canada has contributed greatly in the field of science (the nucleus of the Atom was 'discovered at McGill and the Canada arm was built and designed here). Recently Canada has exported massive amounts of nataraul resources. In the Cold War era Canada refused nuclear weapons when offered - for free.

I could go on.

I am Canadian (so there may be a bias) but viewing Canada as having 'never done anything of note' is simply not true. Canada warrants inclusion in the game much more than the Iroquois (I mean the Iroquois never really even built cities), and I would say more so than Brazil and many other modern nations. They do offer TSL possibilities if they decide not to go with FN civs, and there are not enough tundra start bias civs in the game anyways. I heard that they are only putting 18 civs in the base game and I would definitely not include Canada in a list of 18 but if they were putting something like 50+ civs in the game I could definitley see Canada making it in.

19. m15a

m15a Emperor

Weren't there Mississippian cities? Cahokia, which was a city state in Civ V, was the largest.

20. nunor

nunor King

How so? Care to elaborate please?