1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Canada Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Dec 11, 2018.

1. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

That is one unintended consequence: Canada is a viable warmonger civ, ironically enough. Canada is also an excellent civ for the religion game.

Leucarum likes this.
  2. Leucarum

Leucarum King

I dunno about excellent. Canada definitely needs some help even if their are currently my favourite civ to play

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I'm not really sure why you think they are excellent for religion. They don't get any bonuses that help to found one. They don't benefit from having one in any remarkable way. In fact, the Mountie circumvents one of the main reasons to have a lot of Faith in a CV game.

You could say that if they have a large amount of Faith that they don't have to spend so much on Naturalists, but save it all for Rock Bands. But let us be clear; you don't need to found a religion to have high Faith output.

You could say they are tailor made for Dance of the Aurora. But I direct you to the previous point. You don't have to found a religion to benefit from a pantheon or to have a lot of Faith.

4. Kmart_Elvis

Kmart_Elvis King

It's really this. Dance is such a great Pantheon that benefits religious victory more so than Canada's abilities itself. Tundra based adjacency works better than jungle or desert usually because of how it appears on the map. Large, unbroken swaths of tundra in reliable sections of the map make it easy to plan around. I've always found it easier to spam holy sites in tundra than jungle or desert.

With Canada itself, you're going to want to settle in tundra, so there's a synergy there. Tundra is still tough to live in, and while they are no Russia, they do a decent job.

Cheap tiles are actually quite nice. Settle and buy a tile to get that +8 adjacency holy site. And don't ignore the surprise war immunity! I was actually able to focus on getting my religious infrastructure up and built without having to focus on defense so much. Many times I get greedy and neglect defense, then boom, I get rushed.

So I think Canada is alright, certainly not excellent, but definitely far from bad when it comes to RV.

5. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

The problem with Canada RV is that they're simply worse all around that Russia at it. Both have a tundra bias, but Russia has cheap Lavras while Canada essentially gets no bonus to that. Canada has cheap extra territory, but Russia has free extra territory. Sure, Dance of the Aurora makes for a nice start to religious victory, and they have the slight edge in that they feel a little safer early game than other civs so it's maybe not as costly to go for an early holy site. But they have no inherrent bonuses to religion. I guess one very small boost they get is not using up late game faith on parks and being able to put that fully to apostles/purchasing, but that's a minor point at that stage of the game.

Zaarin, Kimiimaro and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  6. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

Just because Russia is better at it, doesnt mean that Canada is bad at it. A comparison only matters if they are both in the game. There's something to be said about reliable tundra adjacencies.

Meluhhan, shaglio and Kmart_Elvis like this.
  7. Leucarum

Leucarum King

Well, as reliable as you get with the new map generator anyway...

Ziad likes this.
  8. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Anyone seeing AI Canada not denounce them despite lots of grievances and negative relationship modifiers? I'm seeing it in my current Ottomans domination game. I've eliminated nearly all the civs and Canada still won't denounce me. Or perhaps the AI actually showing some foresight knowing that could open himself up to a war declaration? I would doubt that. When the time comes, his ticket will come up. I was saving him for last.

9. Craig_Sutter

Craig_Sutter Deity

I played Canada a few times, and I have never done so either. I have been in wars, though... that being just because of alliances. I usually don't have much of an army though. I usually have built up a lot of faith and/or cash and buy one when I need to.