1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Canada Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Klinn

Klinn Warlord

In my only diplomatic victory game, also playing as Canada, I had to deliberately buff another civ's cultural strength by giving them paintings. Otherwise I also would have reached a CV before the DV.

Maybe now that I know more about how the Diplomatic Victory works I could optimize that path, but the danger of an accidental Cultural Victory looms large.

2. Leucarum

Leucarum Emperor

It's also important that they don't have to spend faith to get them now that you really want to save up as much faith as possible for rock bands...

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  3. Kataklysm

Kataklysm Chieftain

Indeed. I'm finishing my first GS playthrough as Canada (after a failed attempt with a disastrous start as Canada on Emperor, and a sneaky loss to a japanese religious victory as Kupe). I'm playing on King, which is too easy of course, I could win Diplo, Culture or Science at this point. It will most likely be Culture though, thanks to the rock bands huge tourism output that I keep spamming with all the faith I have piled up since the ancient times.
    So you're better off saving your faith for the later ages to rock out like there's not tomorrow.

4. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

I'm not sure what happened: As soon as I built a Hockey Rink in Montreal, they started fighting with Boston. :dunno:

5. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Canada is made for cultural or diplomatic victories, but they do have interesting early abilities that are quietly strong.

One, as mentioned, is the resource boost. Canada can get a nice army up fast if you have the start for it.

The second is the 'no surprise wars', often overlooked for its potential. This baby means even if you start next to a powerful early warmonger, like the Aztecs, you don't have to waste that very important early production on a military safety net - it can go into food and science.

Then the synergy kicks off, because you also can get a couple of more scouts out, and be well positioned with a decent army and many contacts by the time emergencies and aid roll around.

With Canada, I'm less likely to dof the house, so I can join an emergency, and yet I'm not cautious of the surprise war - particularly those nasty stab-you-in-the-backs while your army is off freeing a city.

Canadas strengths are for sure more sublime, you aren't getting fancy ui's or ud's. But there is strength there to be taken advantage of, even fairly early. Remember, an emergency is still a war - even when the emergency is over. Backdoor surprise wars.

Their big handicap is not being able to settler snipe.

Kmart_Elvis and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  6. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

One thing I noticed, and you hit upon it, is Canada has to be pretty shrewd diplomatically to get the most out of their Emergencies bonus and play semi-peacefully. You can't be friends or allies with the most likely offenders or else you can't participate.

But if you are angling for a diplo victory, you want allies for the alliance Favor, so you end up allying with the weakest civs on the map. Thus you get dragged into wars against the strongest civs. I call those opportunities. For pillaging and for territorial gains.

Conversely, you can be the biggest jerk in the world and intentionally instigate military and religion emergencies with yourself as the target. You're going to tick everyone off, so that protection from surprise wars comes in handy.

Canada's bonuses are not as weak as they seem, but they are nuanced and you have to be skillful to get a good game out of them.

7. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

I recently realized that even if you have more favor than the rest of the AI combine, they can still out vote you, since the votes are progressively more expensive. That's a good feature, in my opinion. (I mention here as I noticed it in my Canada game, and saw one of Eagle's posts on the previous page).

8. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Personally, I'd redo Canada as...

Four Faces of Peace

Cannot declare Surprise Wars or war on a city state. Gain +1 additional favor for every friendship and alliance declared. Open Borders with all City States with at least 1 envoy and not denounced by the CS's suzerain. Gain tourism equal to twice to your favor/turn once the World Congress is established. Completing an emergency or competition results in 100% favor for the next 30 turns.

The Last Best West

Can build farms on Tundra Sites. Building a farm, hockey rink, or a district on a tundra tile causes a culture bomb. +100% extraction rate of accumulated resources on Snow, Snow Hills, Tundra Hills, and Tundra tiles.

Mountie-- Available at Natural History.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Kimiimaro and acluewithout like this.
  9. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Price-less!! (pun intended)
    :clap:

Bonuses you have to work to get the benefit out of is good game design.

tedhebert and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  10. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

You have to work to be the equal weakest civ.

11. Bitterman

Bitterman Warlord

So I started my first game on GS today as Canada (I didn't have time until now).

They seem pretty dull/weak in my opinion. I think their tundra bonuses are actually cool, since they do not depend that much on your luck (they have tundra start bias) and I would say that having a few middle-late cities on tundra is always better than having zero, even if they are weaker than normal cities.

I'm not sure I have understood the bonus about having +1 diplomatic favor per 100 tourism earned. Like 1 diplomatic favor does not seem very difficult to earn, and +100 tourism is a lot if your not actively pushing for CV and even then I don't think that is nearly rewarding enough.

I fail to see what they intended to do with this civ or how I should be playing it. Their only cultural bonus are hockey rinks and maybe tundra appeal, which are very weak compared to almost anything else in the game. Their diplo bonus of emergencies is only situationally good. Hmmph.

12. Fluphen Azine

Fluphen Azine What is Fluphen Azine?

Fights always seem to break out when someone from Boston "licks" a Canadian.

13. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

I think Brazil or Japan are good examples of this. Canada, however, feels more like, you're better off ignoring their bonuses.

Pietato likes this.
  14. Mojo85

Mojo85 Warlord

Canada’s diplo bonuses are nerfed by the game mechanics more than the bonuses themselves. Yea their weak but when most people say that they have to actively avoid a victory (culture) so they don’t achieve it before a diplo victory speaks to the issue.

Patch the world congress and diplo victory game mechanics and Canada’s bonus becomes much more apparent

Kmart_Elvis likes this.
  15. Leucarum

Leucarum Emperor

I played a canada diplo victory game this morning as I was determined to actually do it... some observations

1. Diplo victory is better for immortal or deity. You need civs to be able to put up a fight. I had China run away with the wonders game which stalled a culture victory.

2. Canada has nuts tourism output. Hockey rinks and national parks synergize so well together. I had 9 parks in the end and could have squeezed in more if I'd actually tried to optimize. Beelining flight is super important. On a lower difficulty I would have won easily.

3. Planning ahead is important for a diplo victory too. Getting the apadana, kilwa and the orszaghaz is really helpful.

4. I'm not sure why people are rating sweden so much higher than canada. The two seem very comparable to me... Late culture boosting UI, UU comes too late to make much difference except era score. Auto theming is nice but without a bonus to generating GWAM until the nobel prize kicks in Sweden is probably better at lower difficulties where there is less competition.

5. I still have only seen one aid emergency ever out of around 10 GS games... People talking of 3 in a single game is filling me with aid envy

16. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Sweden is like Canada easy mode. You can just play Sweden as you normally would for a Cultural Victory and it's super good at both that and accruing Favor. Canada can do all that too, but it takes a better sense of timing, diplomacy, and preparation.

17. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

I've gotten four or five aid emergencies in one game. Larger maps, higher disaster intensity, and knowing everybody early all contributes to these opportunities.

Leucarum and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  18. Leucarum

Leucarum Emperor

Makes sense. I usually play standard sized maps but I have had disaster intensity at 4 on several games... I must either up my scouting game or just be having bad luck

Yeah, they are very easy to misplay. And misplace a few rinks or parks and that lovely tourism output is gone. I enjoy how four faces of peace lets you game the AI, but it clearly isn't everyone's cup of tea.

19. Cagarustus

Cagarustus Prince

"Travelling in a frosted-out combie
    On a pioneer trail, head full of zombies
    I met a strange lady, she made me nervous
    She took me in and gave me breakfast
    And she said

Do you come from the Last Best West?
    Where women glow and men plunder?
    Can't you hear, can't you hear the blizzard?
    You better run, you better take cover

Buying bread from a man in Brussels
    He was six-foot-four and full or muscles
    I said, "do you speak my language?'
    He just smiled and gave me some maple syrup
    And he said

I come from the Last Best West
    Where beer does flow and men chunder
    Can't you hear, can't you hear the blizzard
    You better run, you better take cover, yeah

Lyin'in a den in Bombaby
    With a slack jaw, and not much to say
    I said man, "are you tryin'to tempt me?
    Because I come from the Last Best West?"
    And he said

Do you come from the Last Best West?...

20. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

lol @Cagarustus hilarious take on that 'Men at Work' song ;-)

Not sure the younger members know it, but anyways... thanks, gave me a good laugh this mornin !

Cagarustus likes this.