Canada Mod - Deluxe Edition

Update on Warlords conversion:

I'm about half-way there. The building and unit XML files seem to have had the most added to them. I'll hopefully be able to tackle those tonight and get a Warlords version out by the end of the week.

Great mod, improvements are spot on, but I am not sure about the "Bob and Doug" bytes with the units. You have taken a great amout of your time and effort to build a terrific mod and those sound bytes seem to "cheapen" the overall professionalism of the mod. I feel that it is like Gomer Pyle, or Pauly Shore commenting for US units, Groucho marx for the Russian, Jackie Chan for the Chinese, well you get it. to me that doesn't seem right for your effort. JMO

dobrt said:
Great mod, improvements are spot on, but I am not sure about the "Bob and Doug" bytes with the units. You have taken a great amout of your time and effort to build a terrific mod and those sound bytes seem to "cheapen" the overall professionalism of the mod. I feel that it is like Gomer Pyle, or Pauly Shore commenting for US units, Groucho marx for the Russian, Jackie Chan for the Chinese, well you get it. to me that doesn't seem right for your effort. JMO

The soundpack was created by purplexus and he wanted to take a bit of a tongue-in-cheek approach to it all.

On the one hand, I think it fits with the character of Canadians - we don't take ourselves too seriously. On the other hand, I agree that it is a marked contrast to the sound clips used for vanilla civs.

I would be more than open to an alternate order/select set option, but I would need someone to take the lead on this.

Corvex said:
Have you considered changing the leader traits in the Warlords version (making Trudeau 'charismatic' and 'philosophical,' for example)?

:)

I did just that. But Trudeau is charismatic and organized. Jean is charismatic and philosphical. Hmmmm...probably should add that to the intro.

I was looking at the UB.. and noticed that you have to have a micro-wave station to build the CN tower. That means only Canada can build the CN tower, or does that mean a broadcast tower is required for all the other civs?

ilr_18 said:
I was looking at the UB.. and noticed that you have to have a micro-wave station to build the CN tower. That means only Canada can build the CN tower, or does that mean a broadcast tower is required for all the other civs?

The latter.

Anything that requires a broadcast tower for other civs requires a microwave station for Canada, and vice versa.

That makes the Eiffel Tower a key wonder for Canada to build. IMO, the CN Tower should do what the Eiffel Tower does, but I don't want to mess with vanilla wonders.

I had no problem getting earlier versions to install but i cant seem to get this warlords version to work.

asylumlost said:
I had no problem getting earlier versions to install but i cant seem to get this warlords version to work.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but make sure it's:

Mod = Canada Mod
in the .ini file

Also, make sure you install this to Civ IV\Warlords\mods, and not the regular Civ IV\mods.

Wyz_sub10 said:
I mentioned this in the other thread, but make sure it's:

in the .ini file

Also, make sure you install this to Civ IV\Warlords\mods, and not the regular Civ IV\mods.

I tryed all what you said , but doesn't work correctly got many xml error :S

if you got a hint !

Elorensun said:
I tryed all what you said , but doesn't work correctly got many xml error :S

if you got a hint !

First off, do you have Warlords or just normal Civ?

Second, if you have normal Civ, are you patched to version 1.61?

Third, what specific XML errors are you getting? (give me 2-3)

Wyz_sub10 said:
First off, do you have Warlords or just normal Civ?

Second, if you have normal Civ, are you patched to version 1.61?

Third, what specific XML errors are you getting? (give me 2-3)

1-)WarLord

2-)Yup

3-)LoadXML error for civilizations xml/units/CIV4UnitInfos.xml [.\fxml.cpp:133] error parsing XML File file: XML\unit/civ4UnitInfos.xml Line 53, 13

-LoadXML call faildes for unites/CIVUnitInfos.xml current XML file is: Units/CIV4BuilInfos.xml

-Tags: UNIT_AMERICAN_NAVY_SEAL in Info class was incorrect Current XML files is : Civilizations/CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml

I hope you got the solution ;)

Hello Wxy_sub10,
I have been talking to Ket about including CANADA into his mod. I downloaded yours for Warlords but it would get load errors due to missing lines in the buildings, civics, leaders and units. Over 5 hours, line by line I have managed to clear up all the errors up to now by copying the vanilla Warlords over your specific files then adding your specific and unique Canadian items. It now loads past the original problems but I am now faced with this load error...
Failed Loading XML\Units/CIV4UnitInfos.xml. [.\FXml.cpp:133] Error parsing XML File -
File: XML\Units/CIV4UnitInfos.xml
Reason: Element content is incomplete according to the DTD/Schema.

Line: 6496, 5
Source: </UnitInfo>

I am very new to this and have managed so far by common sense and comparison, but I am now over my head. If you are all ready working on this then sorry for the bother, if I can continue to help I could use any ideas as to where I am with this message and what to do next or look for. I have searched the code line by line and all looks good, it may a simple typing error!

On a side issue I have yet to hear the sound/voice pack but would vote for a normal (non-comical) pack.

Anyways thank you for reading this and anxiously wait your reply.

Cheers!
Andrew.:goodjob: :(

Andrew,

That error message is saying that there is something wrong at column 5 in line 6496 in CIV4UnitInfos.xml.

KhandaharKopper said:
Hello Wxy_sub10,
I have been talking to Ket about including CANADA into his mod. I downloaded yours for Warlords but it would get load errors due to missing lines in the buildings, civics, leaders and units. Over 5 hours, line by line I have managed to clear up all the errors up to now by copying the vanilla Warlords over your specific files then adding your specific and unique Canadian items. It now loads past the original problems but I am now faced with this load error...
Failed Loading XML\Units/CIV4UnitInfos.xml. [.\FXml.cpp:133] Error parsing XML File -
File: XML\Units/CIV4UnitInfos.xml
Reason: Element content is incomplete according to the DTD/Schema.

Line: 6496, 5
Source: </UnitInfo>

I am very new to this and have managed so far by common sense and comparison, but I am now over my head. If you are all ready working on this then sorry for the bother, if I can continue to help I could use any ideas as to where I am with this message and what to do next or look for. I have searched the code line by line and all looks good, it may a simple typing error!

On a side issue I have yet to hear the sound/voice pack but would vote for a normal (non-comical) pack.

Anyways thank you for reading this and anxiously wait your reply.

Cheers!
Andrew.:goodjob: :(

First off - thank you for all the work you put into this. Much appreciated.

Give me tonight to look things over. Before uploading, everything was playtested and I had no errors whatsoever.

That tells me that either I was an idiot and uploaded the wrong version, or that the uploaded version was somehow corrupted.

Let me check the master file tonight and I'll get back to you.

Just checked the master copy.

No XML errors, everything works fine - no errors at startup, checked the XML files, pedia entries all work, started a game, played a few turns.

I don't what to say. I will upload a fresh version to the server, just in case there were some corruption issues. I'll note in the OP when it happens.

Top Bottom