[GS] Canals video

No real info sadly.
Regarding the graphics discussion, the primitive version actually does look fitting for the ancient/classical era IMHO. If they could use the older city graphics without canal for the first turns of the game (before sailing), it would be even better.

Question: is the canal visual present in all coastal cities or just ones bridging two bodies of water?
I feel like from what I've seen, all the coastal cities have had them. Which would be silly.

Question: is the canal visual present in all coastal cities or just ones bridging two bodies of water?
I feel like from what I've seen, all the coastal cities have had them. Which would be silly.

All coastal city centers have the beginnings of a canal. But without a body of water or another canal district adjacent, it just sort of looks like a dry dock.

Hmm no additional wonder videos. I can see it if there's a wonder from a yet to be revealed civ remaining, but they could reveal the mystery temple. Though maybe it ties into a mechanic they want to go into detail more on first.

Regarding the graphics discussion, the primitive version actually does look fitting for the ancient/classical era IMHO. If they could use the older city graphics without canal for the first turns of the game (before sailing), it would be even better.

That graphic was there in the expansion reveal, when they played as England. Not sure why it didn't appear in other eras, or if we only saw non-ancient starts.

but i would note that the ancient canal artwork that people were worried about has changed already.

I'm afraid it is still the same (wooden pallisade against a Stone Wall). Just the way we see it now (with more wooden structures along the canal) may make it look more "ancient", but it actually has the same "modern" features (depth, regular form, etc) that people were worried about.

I underestand it may be difficult to change "shape" of the art, in any case, and I'm not that worried about it, but I don't think we can say it has changed.

As silly as the "canal docks" you may find in several cities of the world (Copenhagen's Nyhavn comes to mind, but surely there are much more similar examples).

I'm afraid it is still the same (wooden pallisade against a Stone Wall). Just the way we see it now (with more wooden structures along the canal) may make it look more "ancient", but it actually has the same "modern" features (depth, regular form, etc) that people were worried about.

I underestand it may be difficult to change "shape" of the art, in any case, and I'm not that worried about it, but I don't think we can say it has changed.

As silly as the "canal docks" you may find in several cities of the world (Copenhagen's Nyhavn comes to mind, but surely there are much more similar examples).

I believe Valletta has a canalized port similar, but much more expansive than what we see in GS coastal cities.

Hex- Canal - connects two water tiles. Ships can pass thru. Appearance probably changes with eras. What else do you need to know - a few surprises aren't bad.

but i would note that the ancient canal artwork that people were worried about has changed already.

Yeah I'm fine with it. Wood seems reasonable. Though I'm sure it would leak quite a bit. :)

Hex- Canal - connects two water tiles. Ships can pass thru. Appearance probably changes with eras. What else do you need to know - a few surprises aren't bad.

They didn't even discuss benefits to Trade, if there are any.

Did somebody say CANALS?

*puts on Etta James record*

AT LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAST…

My only question is if they are a district, rather than an improvement, what other buildings will there be? Maybe something related to cargo and customs?

That graphic was there in the expansion reveal, when they played as England. Not sure why it didn't appear in other eras, or if we only saw non-ancient starts.
We didn't see the Ancient Era Dock (Canal) in the Maori live stream as the Maori start with Sailing and Shipbuilding technologies which are likely linked to the graphic.

My only question is if they are a district, rather than an improvement, what other buildings will there be? Maybe something related to cargo and customs?
We already know it's a district. We don't know any buildings but it doesn't have to have buildings like the Aqueduct and Spaceport.

We didn't see the Ancient Era Dock (Canal) in the Maori live stream as the Maori start with Sailing and Shipbuilding technologies which are likely linked to the graphic.
Shouldn't a Classical Era dock still be made out of wood though like the harbor is in the same era?

We already know it's a district. We don't know any buildings but it doesn't have to have buildings like the Aqueduct and Spaceport.

Shouldn't a Classical Era dock still be made out of wood though like the harbor is in the same era?
It looks like smooth sandstone in that video and the Maori first look before a Renaissance era grey concrete before an industrial era one has the additional buildings either end of the bridge.

Spoiler :
upload_2019-1-4_23-24-59.png

I wish I had canals right now :(

I wonder if there will be any variance in future era city graphics sets. That purple pyramid spire thing was neato. Also great to see how neat and shrunken the monument and granary have become.

I'm really curious how city canal graphics work when you found on the tip of a peninsula or a one tile island.

And what happens when i drop a harbor next to my city. Will the harbor docks shift to accommodate the canal?

Top Bottom