[LP] Persona Spotlight: Harald Hardrada (Varangian)

wood tile by the border
How?! You cheat!? 😆
20230403075002_1.jpg

Colour picker duh...

But in all fairness, they do look almost identical.
However, if You can't distinguish them at all, may I suggest buying a new monitor.
monitor has absolutely nothing to do with it… it’s almost identical color… just finished my game, forgot to color pick, didn’t want to restart when I realized it… it’s annoying, but it’s not gamebreaking, you get used to it… Still, they could have used a different main jersey !

monitor has absolutely nothing to do with it… it’s almost identical color… just finished my game, forgot to color pick, didn’t want to restart when I realized it… it’s annoying, but it’s not gamebreaking, you get used to it… Still, they could have used a different main jersey !
Sure jersey might have been chosen better, but that's not what I meant.
If one plays on small screen distinguishing between dark blue/navy and black in such a small portion of an icon is not so obvious at first glance, but it is visible.
Therefore, if one can't see the difference at all it means it's either eyes or screen that need to be checked.

The colors are close, but when I did my Vara-Harald game, it rarely tripped me up.

I have a very mild case of colorblindness when it comes to red. Some shades of orange look pink and some shades of purple look burgundy. Maybe you have a mild blue-blindness that makes it difficult to distinguish the dark blue from black?

Colour picker duh...

But in all fairness, they do look almost identical.
However, if You can't distinguish them at all, may I suggest buying a new monitor.

My monitor is a swanky Alienware gaming monitor that's <6 mon 😏

I do frequently play at night though, after I turn off the lights and turn on Winblows Nightlight where colours bleed into each other.

BTW you're kidding about using colour picker, right!? 🤔

I've played with Varangian Harald on Immortal - similar experiences to others here. Easy to get a suzerainty, was able to eliminate two civs to set up a snowball, and the yields were noticeable. The yields from barbarian killing was a nice and unexpected bonus. I had noticed something about reduced unit maintenance, although I didn't see that in his leader description in the game. [I note now that this is a Base Game bonus - so not in R&F and GS?]
  • (Base game) 75% Discount on levying units, and all units pay 2 less maintenance.
  • (Rise and Fall & Gathering Storm DLCs) 75% Discount on levying units, and levied units receive Culture, Faith, and Science from kills equal to 50% of the opponent's combat strength.

It also happens with Abraham Lincoln's bonuses. He enjoys 2 Amenities from districts in cities with an Industrial Zone on Gathering Storm ruleset. Those Amenities are supposed to be exclusive to the Standard ruleset. So I wonder if the leader description is incomplete, if it is a mistake (copy/paste the bonus, but forget to remove some bit) or something deeper (like not being able to remove a rule added to Standard... which is probably not the case since there are no British Museum in GS ruleset).

I need to do further testing to see if there are other instances of this.

Last edited:
I do frequently play at night though, after I turn off the lights and turn on Winblows Nightlight where colours bleed into each other.

This is your culprit: Nightlight mode reduces the amount of blue light a screen emits. Even if it is still possible to tell Dark Blue and Black colors apart, you really need to focus or put the Brightness setting to the max. If you deactivate the Nightlight mode, the difference between the two colors will be more obvious. But... should the game account for the Nightlight mode users? For example, Barbarians could have their own unique Red color instead of sharing it with other Civilizations, making the differentiation easier.

This is your culprit: Nightlight mode reduces the amount of blue light a screen emits. Even if it is still possible to tell Dark Blue and Black colors apart, you really need to focus or put the Brightness setting to the max. If you deactivate the Nightlight mode, the difference between the two colors will be more obvious. But... should the game account for the Nightlight mode users? For example, Barbarians could have their own unique Red color instead of sharing it with other Civilizations, making the differentiation easier.

Actually I'm not sure if Nightlight mode is the culprit.
Playing in daytime I still have difficulty distinguishing between barbs and Varangian's units, when I did a full play test of one of my maps/mods (UN Earth Maps). Very annoying but I may have discovered I have slight colour blindness 🤷‍♂️

Having a levied city state warring against a constant barb swarm can easily lead to PP in the ancient era which generally means a golden age. That combined with their under rated religion abilities can mean a nice snowball even if you never go to early war against another civ. Potentially having +30 faith/production holy sites in the classical era with tundra woods, the tundra pantheon, and the holy site policy card is truly nuts. No ley lines or natural wonders needed for +30 holy sites and even outside of tundra you can have nice +18 holy sites if you've got woods all around. Could I interest you in a berserker crusade?
Old Harald can do that just as well though, as you get +4 for creating a single Longship, and another +1 or 2 for having your first boat, and is more consistent (and ties with the civ ability, unlike Varangian where it is almost pointless). Berserkers and Stave Churches exist for him as well, so there is literally no difference in that department.

It also happens with Abraham Lincoln's bonuses. He enjoys 2 Amenities from districts in cities with an Industrial Zone on Gathering Storm ruleset. Those Amenities are supposed to be exclusive to the Standard ruleset. So I wonder if the leader description is incomplete, if it is a mistake (copy/paste the bonus, but forget to remove some bit) or something deeper (like not being able to remove a rule added to Standard... which is probably not the case since there are no British Museum in GS ruleset).

I need to do further testing to see if there are other instances of this.
Can't reproduce with (new) Harald myself. Galleys are +1, Swordsmen are +2 (adjusted down to +1 because I always get the maintenance policy).

I know it's the standard question (and haven't ruled out Lincoln), but mods perhaps?

Actually I'm not sure if Nightlight mode is the culprit.
It's not. I tested it, and it's still fairly evident to me.

Playing in daytime I still have difficulty distinguishing between barbs and Varangian's units, when I did a full play test of one of my maps/mods (UN Earth Maps). Very annoying but I may have discovered I have slight colour blindness 🤷‍♂️
Next you'll find out there are different blues for coast and ocean tiles :p

Maybe it's just the brightness/contrast/gamma settings on your screen?

Top Bottom