Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

There's a number of steps that have been taken towards the nomadic start project with every version. It's not that close on the horizon yet and it's all intended to be fully optional. The solution for it I'm working towards will likely require size matters and equipment to play it anyhow. I'm looking for it to be a 'way' to play rather than a necessity.

The Later Eras are still a WIP and nowhere near finished imhpo. In fact I'm leaning towards a reduction of the later eras to help this mod be more playable. As it currently stands by the time you get thru Information Era to Nanotach the game is a wash. If we can get to and play thru some of these late Eras with the game still having a purpose left, then maybe this ambitious Nomad Start project might make sense. Right now it does not for me.

There's later eras?

But jokes aside, there should be a special setting to make the game even slower and never go past the prehistoric/ancient/classic era. I'd like to call it "Caveman 2 Classy".

Nomadic start - I do hope that it is more than just
-move your band one more tile
-eat everything
-repeat
because that's going to get old quickly.

The ability to move your initial city would be nice though. The ability to disband your city (and its tribal guardian) into a new band of homo sapiens should do the trick.

One problem with "Nomadic Start" is the definition of nomadic. It makes a big difference and I don't agree with the current definition (wander anywhere) as it stands as even animals have passed that particular definition way before dinosaurs roamed the Earth. The only units that should be able to roam anywhere are new bands and bands displaced by some disaster. This is one reason why I want a new set of settlement types each with their own screen that is similar to but not the same as the city screen.

Automation seems to favour food tiles whenever growth is possible (even if it takes one thousand turns), but shouldn't it favour production, considering how this will allow to build you more food bukldings and grow much faster?

Automation seems to favour food tiles whenever growth is possible (even if it takes one thousand turns), but shouldn't it favour production, considering how this will allow to build you more food bukldings and grow much faster?
You can click on hammer on bottom of city screen slightly right to side icon to make it favour production.

You can click on hammer on bottom of city screen slightly right to side icon to make it favour production.

Sometimes it will choose food even when set to prioritize hammers.

But it's more of a concern for AI player actually.

Sometimes it will choose food even when set to prioritize hammers.

But it's more of a concern for AI player actually.
In the AI it really doesn't value food higher. But farms tend to make more yield rich plots and what it does do in the AI is consider all yields as FAIRLY close to equal. So it will look to get the highest count of yields it can overall and where food rich tiles exist, those are very attractive. There's a little special coding to get the AI to early on value production over other values when it cannot yet stop itself from starving and is at 1 population. As a result the recent efforts to remove the excess of unhealth at the very beginning has harmed the AI progression a bit... it had been setup to get a good head start with that.

There IS something to be said for valuing food at this point too... hunting rewards don't go to waste that way.

I think it would really be fine to have just one pop for the entirety of the prehistoric era. Hunter gatherer tribes are notoriously small, favouring quality over quantity-

Just remove food for the entirety of the prehistoric era.

:food: isn't paleo y'know.

Before agriculture, extra calories would have made the population more active phisically and mentally and also healthier (ie :commerce::hammers::health::gp:), but it wouldn't have made them multiply - :food: - that much.

Then somebody invented agriculture, and while a diet of 95% :food: or white rice doesn't do wonder to your physique, it finally allowed you to procreate as much as you wished, since extra children were no longer mouths to feed but extra arms to work on the fields.

And what became of other foods such as fruit and meat, after agriculture? They became luxuries that would improve the diet of people wealthy enough to afford them, hence not increasing :food:, but again :commerce::hammers::health::gp:.

Since Shamanism allows for Invocation Huts for Walruses and Sea Lions, why not add Mammoth as well?

Why diseases: Common cold and kuru never obsolete?
They should get obsolete in Transhuman era at latest, as more and more people become one with technology and nanotechnology gets more advanced.
Same with pests.

Edit kuru is in modules (removed translation strings)
Spoiler :

Search "kuru" (23 hits in 4 files)
\Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules\Custom_World_Views\Cannibalism\Cannibalism_Building_CIV4GameText.xml (15 hits)
Line 92: <Tag>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_DISEASE_KURU</Tag>
Line 93: <English>Disease (Kuru)</English>
Line 107: <Tag>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_DISEASE_KURU_PEDIA</Tag>
Line 108: <English>[TAB] It is now widely accepted that Kuru was transmitted among members of the Fore tribe of Papua New Guinea via cannibalism.</English>
Line 114: <Tag>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_DISEASE_KURU_STRATEGY</Tag>
Line 115: <English>Kuru is an event based disease. If you are running canibalism you may get this disease. The only way to remove it is to end cannibalism.</English>
\Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules\Custom_World_Views\Cannibalism\Kuru_CIV4ArtDefines_Building.xml (1 hit)
Line 10: <Type>ART_DEF_BUILDING_DISEASE_KURU</Type>
Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules\Custom_World_Views\Cannibalism\Kuru_CIV4BuildingClassInfos.xml (3 hits)
Line 10: <Type>BUILDINGCLASS_DISEASE_KURU</Type>
Line 11: <Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_DISEASE_KURU</Description>
Line 18: <DefaultBuilding>BUILDING_DISEASE_KURU</DefaultBuilding>
\Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules\Custom_World_Views\Cannibalism\Kuru_CIV4BuildingInfos.xml (4 hits)
Line 10: <BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_DISEASE_KURU</BuildingClass>
Line 11: <Type>BUILDING_DISEASE_KURU</Type>
Line 13: <Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_DISEASE_KURU</Description>
Line 17: <ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_BUILDING_DISEASE_KURU</ArtDefineTag>

Last edited:
@TB: The buildingclass tag bNoLimit has always been a no brainer, but I've never understood what the bMonument tag does... Can you enlighten me?

I have the impression that it's a boolean state that is used for exactly nothing in C2C... Was it used for anything in vanilla?

@TB: The buildingclass tag bNoLimit has always been a no brainer, but I've never understood what the bMonument tag does... Can you enlighten me?

I have the impression that it's a boolean state that is used for exactly nothing in C2C... Was it used for anything in vanilla?
Do you have Notepad++? You can easilty check that - just search for tags in all *.xml files.
It looks like some building classes use this tags.

The Later Eras are still a WIP and nowhere near finished imhpo. In fact I'm leaning towards a reduction of the later eras to help this mod be more playable. As it currently stands by the time you get thru Information Era to Nanotach the game is a wash. If we can get to and play thru some of these late Eras with the game still having a purpose left, then maybe this ambitious Nomad Start project might make sense. Right now it does not for me..
Basically game needs space map scripts and on beginning of Galactic era you should manage to unite world in my opinion.
Second part of Modern era trough Information era is solar system exploration.
Nanotech would be cislunar/Moon/Mars/Venus colonization.
Transhuman - colonizing entire solar system
Galactic - colonizing other star systems.
Cosmic - colonizing other galaxies
Transcendental - Final frontier.

In Galactic era there could be barbarian cities representing aliens, that spawn their cities, when you reach new zones (by researching tech, that allows you to go there).
Galactic has Transtellar (nearby stars), Orion Arm and Milky Way zones.
Cosmic has Local Group, Virgo Supercluster and Observable Universe zones.
Transcendental has Unobservable Universe and Hyperspace zones.
Hyperspace zone could be generated, but certain settler (most endgame type) spawn it, when settling in allowed space zones.
This is what I would like on second part of game.

Why diseases: Common cold and kuru never obsolete?
They should get obsolete in Transhuman era at latest, as more and more people become one with technology and nanotechnology gets more advanced.
Same with pests.

Edit kuru is in modules (removed translation strings)
Spoiler :

Search "kuru" (23 hits in 4 files)
\Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules\Custom_World_Views\Cannibalism\Cannibalism_Building_CIV4GameText.xml (15 hits)
Line 92: <Tag>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_DISEASE_KURU</Tag>
Line 93: <English>Disease (Kuru)</English>
Line 107: <Tag>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_DISEASE_KURU_PEDIA</Tag>
Line 108: <English>[TAB] It is now widely accepted that Kuru was transmitted among members of the Fore tribe of Papua New Guinea via cannibalism.</English>
Line 114: <Tag>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_DISEASE_KURU_STRATEGY</Tag>
Line 115: <English>Kuru is an event based disease. If you are running canibalism you may get this disease. The only way to remove it is to end cannibalism.</English>
\Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules\Custom_World_Views\Cannibalism\Kuru_CIV4ArtDefines_Building.xml (1 hit)
Line 10: <Type>ART_DEF_BUILDING_DISEASE_KURU</Type>
Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules\Custom_World_Views\Cannibalism\Kuru_CIV4BuildingClassInfos.xml (3 hits)
Line 10: <Type>BUILDINGCLASS_DISEASE_KURU</Type>
Line 11: <Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_DISEASE_KURU</Description>
Line 18: <DefaultBuilding>BUILDING_DISEASE_KURU</DefaultBuilding>
\Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules\Custom_World_Views\Cannibalism\Kuru_CIV4BuildingInfos.xml (4 hits)
Line 10: <BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_DISEASE_KURU</BuildingClass>
Line 11: <Type>BUILDING_DISEASE_KURU</Type>
Line 13: <Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_DISEASE_KURU</Description>
Line 17: <ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_BUILDING_DISEASE_KURU</ArtDefineTag>
Common Cold Oversight fixed.

Have no idea what Disease Kuru is or what it does in game.Never seen it before. Apparently some of DH's Cannabilism Wotld view stuff.

Do you have Notepad++? You can easilty check that - just search for tags in all *.xml files.
It looks like some building classes use this tags.
Yes I use notepad++, and of course building-classes would use a building-class tag, nothing else can. What is not clear from xml is the purpose of the tag (if there ever was one, could be a loose end that never got developed properly by firaxis)

Last edited:
Have no idea what Disease Kuru is or what it does in game.Never seen it before. Apparently some of DH's Cannabilism Wotld view stuff.
It has really minor penalty to production.
It doesn't have any triggers, when looking on pedia.
So basically it is part of game, that wasn't developed yet.

@Toffer it seems like it was useless antic, that can be pruned out of everywhere.
I searched for that bmonument and all was here it was something unimplemented.
Maybe DLL programmer would know more.
Modding wiki says, that bmonument is unused tag.
To delete tag from schema you need to change DLL accordingly,
In DLL source there are mentions of bMonument in two files: CvInfos.cpp and CvInfos.h.
Do idea if that variable goes deeper.

Last edited:
It should probably be a food malus.

Note that, as far as we know, Kuru only afftected a small tribe in Papua Guinea who ritualistically fed the brains of their dead to women and children. It likely started from a single individual developing a prion disease, and by the time its main vehicle was banned the population had already started to mutate an immunity.

Top Bottom