Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

Sure, but that is handled by the dll, so I can't help with that.
I think its position is ok, but it would be nice to have it in yellow color.
Its position is changing from unit to unit and from building to building in hover tooltip.
That is sometimes is somewhere in middle and sometimes its near top of it.

While color can be set in all text entries, it would be nice if yellow was default color for building/unit help text.

Its position is changing from unit to unit and from building to building in hover tooltip.
That is sometimes is somewhere in middle and sometimes its near top of it.

While color can be set in all text entries, it would be nice if yellow was default color for building/unit help text.
Yeah I would prefer if it was always below "Actual Yield", if there's no "actual yield" it would be below the name of the building/unit.
I see, you're wanting to use help text specifically as the loose direct notes that are almost impossible to automatically format in any decent fashion in the tags themselves. Makes sense to have that shown. I THINK that's done on the DLL side so I'll have to look at that when I can. Remind me this weekend if I've forgotten by then.
These are the codelines that is used to set the help text in tooltips for units and buildings.

if (!CvWString(kUnit.getHelp()).empty())
{
szBuffer.append(NEWLINE);
szBuffer.append(kUnit.getHelp());​
}

if (!CvWString(kBuilding.getHelp()).empty())
{
szBuffer.append(NEWLINE);
szBuffer.append(kBuilding.getHelp());​
}
Should be easier for you to find them with a search now.
Hardcoding the color in the dll seems appropriate in this case, and it could always be overridden with a color set in the help text xml entry.

Last edited:
If you are looking at that it may be useful to see if the automatic building of that text could be expanded to other units. It is currently automatically generated for GP. It uses the actual XML to generate the help text saying what buildings they can build. It would be much better if code did it rather than having to remember to change it every time you changed the XML. The Help text on the various animal units is only about what buildings they can build.

If you are looking at that it may be useful to see if the automatic building of that text could be expanded to other units. It is currently automatically generated for GP. It uses the actual XML to generate the help text saying what buildings they can build. It would be much better if code did it rather than having to remember to change it every time you changed the XML. The Help text on the various animal units is only about what buildings they can build.
I don't think so - this could be part of vanilla texts, that weren't moved to C2C.
Also there are translations too.

I'm not sure I follow you. A tooltip text line is generated for most tags but that's not the same as Help text. Help text is just another text key entry fed to the <Help>tag for the building or unit. Are you saying that there's some ultra-complex rerouting to a different compiled string on help text for Great People? Or are you saying that right now you have to USE the Help text key to input the information you are working with in another tag? Some tags were never given a text delivery because they are too complex to do that with - many of the generic tags from AIAndy are a good example - only he would have the ability to write out code that gives a text line on many of those because too much is possible for them to be done in the normal manner.

What tags specifically are you needing to use the help text to fill in for? I know that right now I've left it to that for the bonus planting tag.

It looks like this help text, that mentions what buildings can be built for tamed animals is redundant - it lists buildings, that are displayed by Can construct.... line at least in pedia.
Spoiler :

Civ4BeyondSword 2019-01-10 21-04-07-41.jpg

Can Construct tag content isn't displayed in tooltip display.
It works for all units, not just GP.

It looks like this help text, that mentions what buildings can be built for tamed animals is redundant - it lists buildings, that are displayed by Can construct.... line at least in pedia.

Can Construct tag content isn't displayed in tooltip display.
It works for all units, not just GP.
Ah that's it... that it's not part of the tooltip display. That could be easily fixed but would quickly overwhelm tooltips. I could make it give a short note like * Can be used to construct a building. For the tooltip if we want.

The <Buildings> tag on the unit contains a list of <Building> that the unit can build. That is used to create the list of buildings that GP can build. In vanilla only GP build buildings. I assumed they only constructed the help from that for GP to make it faster.

@Raxo - language? why would there be a problem with language?

The <Buildings> tag on the unit contains a list of <Building> that the unit can build. That is used to create the list of buildings that GP can build. In vanilla only GP build buildings. I assumed they only constructed the help from that for GP to make it faster.

@Raxo - language? why would there be a problem with language?
Help tag and "can construct...." list are separate, and don't do anything with each other.
This is same for all units.
Help tag is anything you want, and "can construct" entry lists all buildings in <Buildings> entry.
GPs doesn't use help tag.
Help tag is displayed in tooltip, while "Can construct....." list built from <Buildings> tag isn't displayed in tooltip.

As for translation, I thought texts were hardcoded in dll or something.

Ah that's it... that it's not part of the tooltip display. That could be easily fixed but would quickly overwhelm tooltips. I could make it give a short note like * Can be used to construct a building. For the tooltip if we want.
That would be good idea.

@JosEPh_II Yes, the Hunter's Camp gets obsoleted at Species Uplifting (X=111) while the various animal camps are obsoleted at Sedentary Lifestyle (X=19), Globalization (X=77), or Ecological Engineering (X=94).
Thanks.

Can't update SVN from Tortoise, it suddenly requires a password and I didn't find any. Did I do something wrong or..?

Can't update SVN from Tortoise, it suddenly requires a password and I didn't find any. Did I do something wrong or..?
There's a few ways to setup the SVN. But if it wants a password, it's your Sourceforge password.

Removed unhealth from cocoa (coca and other drugs doesn't have unhealth from resource directly).

All the Drug resources such as Coca should have a -1 health. This is a bug or oversight.

Cocoa which gives chocolate should Not have given a -1 health. That was a correct fix.

All the Drug resources such as Coca should have a -1 health. This is a bug or oversight.

Cocoa which gives chocolate should Not have given a -1 health. That was a correct fix.
I think someone wanted to give -1 health to coca not cocoa and error went unnoticed for many years or even decade :p
Since it was small error no one bothered to fix.

Tobacco has -1 health.
As for map resources coca, kava, hemp, peyote and opium can be used as drugs.
Those will get -1 unhealth.

Uranium shouldn't give unhappiness, since it can be used for power plants and some units, and heavy water is used for nuclear bombs while it doesn't give unhappiness too.

Uranium shouldn't give unhappiness, since it can be used for power plants and some units, and heavy water is used for nuclear bombs while it doesn't give unhappiness too.
It causes radioactive waste with a 200,000 year half-life, whatever you use it for. That's what the unhappiness is about.

It causes radioactive waste with a 200,000 year half-life, whatever you use it for. That's what the unhappiness is about.
Well I guess toxic waste dump could give unhappiness of 1, as there is small window before you can utilize uranium in bombs and power plants.

And now I changed this national wonder, this is needed by nuclear power plants, but there can be any hazardous waste.

Last edited:
Well I guess toxic waste dump could give unhappiness of 1, as there is small window before you can utilize uranium in bombs and power plants.

And now I changed this national wonder, this is needed by nuclear power plants, but there can be any hazardous waste.
I like this. Uranium isn't the direct cause of the unhappiness, the byproduct of its usage is.

Top Bottom