Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

You do need vicinity for dogs for some things but you can build that with the various subdued canines.

Yes the National Breeders need to be removed completely and the improved horse/camel/elephant plots need to generate a subdued animal every now and then.

You do need vicinity for dogs for some things but you can build that with the various subdued canines.

Yes the National Breeders need to be removed completely and the improved horse/camel/elephant plots need to generate a subdued animal every now and then.
If we remove them then we are forcing the game to utilize the trade units feature that I'm seriously considering scrapping from the code entirely since it is causing delays and terrible trade deal evaluations.

Well Vicinity tag wasn't used for dogs - those two buildings, which I restored their vicinity requirements were only buildings using vicinity tag on non-map resources.

If we remove them then we are forcing the game to utilize the trade units feature that I'm seriously considering scrapping from the code entirely since it is causing delays and terrible trade deal evaluations.
Only read half the sentence did you? You will get free subdued animals from all improved plots with the resource on. Those animals can build the herd in a one of your cities. You need to put the improvement and connect anyway to get the resource. forts count.

Only read half the sentence did you? You will get free subdued animals from all improved plots with the resource on. Those animals can build the herd in a one of your cities. You need to put the improvement and connect anyway to get the resource. forts count.
If you remove the central breeders, you're cutting off the ability to use the central breeders to account for trades you have with other nations for horses, elephants and camels to be able to allow you to get somewhere with a vicinity source from it.

If you remove the central breeders, you're cutting off the ability to use the central breeders to account for trades you have with other nations for horses, elephants and camels to be able to allow you to get somewhere with a vicinity source from it.
The central breeders do nothing with trade. They don't provide any resource. Trade is in the resources you do have and they don't need top be in the vicinity. You have always been able to trade them.

The central breeders do nothing with trade. They don't provide any resource. Trade is in the resources you do have and they don't need top be in the vicinity. You have always been able to trade them.
Central Breeders are OR requirement for Animal Trainer buildings, and those allows you to train Tamed Horse/Camel/Elephant.
Animal Trainer replaced farm/myth requirements of such tamed animals.
Notice, that Animal Trainer requires Animal Myth or Animal Farm or Central Breeder.
That is requirements were shifted into proxy.

Last edited:
Raxo explains how it works but if you trade for a horse and you don't have any in a vicinity access, without the Central Breeder - Horse, you won't get any benefit from trading for the horse resource because on its own you can do nothing with it.

Personally I think the easier way would be to have the Central Breeders give the resource as well so that they then provide direct vicinity access. Have them replace a herd if one happens to be there in the city but make them require the animal as a resource from anywhere.

I didnt do anything to them, all i wanted was JUST the "warcat" to merge and only in the classical era. And u needed the wonder of "big cats" to do so and again only 1 civ can do that and u have to be the 1st to get the wonder or nothing . . .
You can't set just one unit to be mergable against the normal rules for its combat class and there are no tags for being able to unlock a change in those settings for a unit or a unitcombat based on a tech reached.

You can't set just one unit to be mergable against the normal rules for its combat class and there are no tags for being able to unlock a change in those settings for a unit or a unitcombat based on a tech reached.
no offense but the way i explained it above is the way it "used" to work for years .. . . infact right after u put in "uncut" is when it started working THAT way . . .right up to about 6 months or more ago . . .

attached is an OLD Big Cats folder that it used to work that way . .

Attachments

• Big_Cats.zip
    32.8 KB · Views: 25
no offense but the way i explained it above is the way it "used" to work for years .. . . infact right after u put in "uncut" is when it started working THAT way . . .right up to about 6 months or more ago . . .

attached is an OLD Big Cats folder that it used to work that way . .
My recent changes were a fix to someone making cats and canines capable of merging and splitting. I don't know who overrode the settings I had on those but none of them were able to merge or split before I took a break and came back to those unitcombats having lost the xml that bans them from doing so. If you had only been merging those more advanced cats, it didn't mean you weren't able to merge earlier ones. Prior to that, I had established that neither canines nor felines could merge or split under any conditions and if one type was able to then it could have been missing a combat class which would've been a bug for other reasons.

There is no tag for a specific unit to be made capable of merging or splitting or denies them from being able to. It's completely managed by combat classes.

To clear up any confusion, I do believe felines were capable of merging and splitting for quite a while before I determined that they needed to be added to the list of those units that could not merge or split. It is possible that your experience of them that sits in your memory is from that point where I did eventually apply the ban to them merging and splitting due to them being a stealth unit. I think I did that around the time I did the criminal review.

Last edited:
Did we forget about adding "clay" to the quarry or stone tools area?? or is it that the swamp is interfering with the build of that??

Attachments

• clay.JPG
    clay.JPG
    359.6 KB · Views: 34
Did we forget about adding "clay" to the quarry or stone tools area?? or is it that the swamp is interfering with the build of that??
Sometimes features delay possibility to improve resource.
You need Canal Systems tech to build Quarry on tile with Swamp feature.
Spoiler :

Civ4BeyondSword 2019-01-17 17-17-28-10.jpg

Civ4BeyondSword 2019-01-17 17-17-02-96.jpg

Civ4BeyondSword 2019-01-17 17-15-38-96.jpg

@Toffer90 can you add information to tooltip saying what tech you need to build improvement X with feature Y on tile?

I'm not sure how standardized it is.
But it seems if improvement removes feature, then you need following techs to build such improvement:
Iron Working - Jungle, Mangrove
Bronze Working - Forests, Bamboo, Cactus
Canal Systems - Swamp, Peat Bog
Slash And Burn - Savanna, Very Tall Grass
Combustion - Ice
Explosives - All Outcrops
Can't be removed: Crater, Tar Pit, Rainwater Basin, Oasis, Floodplains (this one is weird - Nanotech or Transhuman era civ should be able to remove those, or it may be Toffers pedia displaying what shouldn't display).

Last edited:
@Toffer90 can you add information to tooltip saying what tech you need to build improvement X with feature Y on tile?
That's really in the DLL and it's already a bit crowded on the tooltip, particularly with the intricacy of the coding of that particular display output. I might look at adding it eventually.

The information is already there! Hide unavailable worker action needs to be unchecked, and when you hover the quarry icon you get the attached text.
Oh I guess @strategyonly forgot to uncheck BUG option named "Hide unavailable worker actions"
I have unchecked hiding obsolete/unavailable worker actions.

Another bit weird thing, that he can use medium sized buttons, as he can read that text in screen just fine.
Its like he doesn't even know how to open BUG options screen.

@Toffer90 is it possible to separate unit actions just like you separated unbuildable buildings from buildable ones?

@Toffer90 is it possible to separate unit actions just like you separated unbuildable buildings from buildable ones?
Don't know, python just displays what the dll tells it to display there, not sure if I can change much about it with simple python modding.
Maybe... but it's a bigger project than I'm willing to throw myself at right now.

I have a bunch (4) of minor (free) promotions I would like to add. They are part of my dance stuff providing small buffs to attack and defense.

However I think they may be better as part of the Commander (as they are tactics rather than equipment or proficency) rather than the units. Does giving these promotions to the Commander give them to all the troops under their command?

Does giving these promotions to the Commander give them to all the troops under their command?
Yes, so long as the tags employed in the promotions are those that will transfer through. Most of them do. If you'd like me to check on any specific tags, let me know.

Yes, so long as the tags employed in the promotions are those that will transfer through. Most of them do. If you'd like me to check on any specific tags, let me know.
Just a small 5% boost to attack or defense or both.

Do we have any standards for the promotions? I know blue background is for normal and purple are Doctrines or Traditions but I am not sure what Red, Orange and Green are. Though I thought Green were for Heroes.

Top Bottom