Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

Ah - maybe that was my reasoning for changing the improvement upgrade code instead. I had a copper deposit with a stone workshop on it but it had not upgraded because it had not been worked.

Wait what? I don't think you can see copper on the map until Copper Working.

I have a problem with the pottery building. It is supposedly available with pottery but its required building requires mining (which I think requires pottery). However that is not the problem - the problem is that the potter requires both river access and marsh in the vicinity but it does not say so. The marsh requirement is because the clay pit requires marsh. This makes the potters hut rare enough that I don't think it needs to obsolete so early. After all I still drink out of a cup more often than I do a glass - even if a latte usually comes in a glass ;)

Since there is no "clay" resource on the map I had to make it very limited, which was river + marsh. Thus only some cities will get pottery. In addition I was already saying that pottery should not no obsolete at glass working, if at all since we still use pottery/ceramics today. Such as roof tiles, floor tiles, ceramic art, space shuttle tiles, etc.

So two problems:-
1. the marsh requirement for the potters hut should show up on it so that you know why you can't build any even though you have 6 cities on the river.
2. it should not go obsolete until later - some time in the late modern era I would suggest.

1. The marsh requirement shows up on mine in civlopedia.
2. Yes I agree. However I do not think pottery should EVER go obsolete. Perhaps the building for it could upgrade over time, but pottery should always be possible.

I had built a stone workshop on a hill which was outside the work area of any city. When I discovered copper working it showed the copper but the stone workshop does not provide copper. I would have had to get a fighting unit there to destroy the stone workshop since you can't replace it with a mine because it upgrades to a mine and so you just need to work it from a city.

Now improvement upgrades replaces all stone workshops with a mine rather than letting Afforess' code do it eventually.

As to the pottery I think there are some excellent possibilities for nation based wonders that produce luxury goods.

There is no mention of marsh on the Potter's hut but I don't have your latest stuff installed. Fore some reason I can't do a screen dump to show you atm.

As to the pottery I think there are some excellent possibilities for nation based wonders that produce luxury goods.

There is no mention of marsh on the Potter's hut but I don't have your latest stuff installed. Fore some reason I can't do a screen dump to show you atm.

I found the confusion. The Clay Pit requires the Mash and the Potter's Hut requires a river. That makes it a bit confusing. Should I have both require a marsh + river or only give it to the Clay Pit?

Did you get the free gatherer on your first city built working?

Another error tracked down goody hut error. Do you want me to look into it?

Yes on both questions, thx.;)

I'm in the middle of a game at the moment (starting the ancient era), but I'm just wondering if barbarian civ is in this mod? I remember seeing it in ROM:A New Dawn, but I don't remember seeing that option available when I made my game. Is it in the mod by default or?

I'm in the middle of a game at the moment (starting the ancient era), but I'm just wondering if barbarian civ is in this mod? I remember seeing it in ROM:A New Dawn, but I don't remember seeing that option available when I made my game. Is it in the mod by default or?

It is available on the custom game screen and is off by default.

It is available on the custom game screen and is off by default.

I check the custom game screen & I don't see "barbarians civs", I see barbarian generals & raging barbarians but not the other :(. Strange, I suppose I'll just play without it. Unless if there is a way I can add it manually.

I check the custom game screen & I don't see "barbarians civs", I see barbarian generals & raging barbarians but not the other :(. Strange, I suppose I'll just play without it. Unless if there is a way I can add it manually.

Sorry, you are right, I checked the XML and it is turned off completely, ie off and don't display the option. I assume it is broken either in the latest RAND or here and StrategyOnly has disabled it.

Yes i turned that and Barb World both OFF, you can go into GameOptionsInfo and change it in either one:

Spoiler :
Code:
        <GameOptionInfo>
            <Type>GAMEOPTION_NO_BARBARIAN_CIV</Type>
            <Description>TXT_KEY_REV_OPTION_NO_BARBARIAN_CIV</Description>
            <Help>TXT_KEY_REV_OPTION_NO_BARBARIAN_CIV_HELP</Help>
            <bDefault>0</bDefault>
            <bVisible>0</bVisible>
        </GameOptionInfo>

Just make bVisible to 1, i took them both out because it causes more MAFs especially Barb World, that is a great modcomp, but it takes 40% more memory and time to work.

In addition to the memory usage and MAF risk mentioned by SO, I can advise that when I had Barbarian Civs enabled, my opening turns took about 300 seconds each. For unknown reasons the turns would speed up between 55 - 60 turns into the game. I am playing on Gigantic ROM_Terra w/ an 8G memory machine. (WinExp rating = 5.7)

With the default Barbarian Civs turned off I still have barbarian cities form and grow into Minor Civs. I just don't have Barbarian cities at the start.

hi at fist thanks for this awesome modmodmod :goodjob:
i have never seen such a realistig mod at all.
and sorry for my englisch mistakes i am not an englisch native speaker

i have some questions

is it possible to implement some new biulding artstyles for buildings
im not a modder but i can help to find arstyles in the civfanatics achieves ore other mods
its boring to build buildings without artstyles, it lose flavour ;)

what happens with affores building upgrade paths ?
i know they were missed in his newest version but i like them very much is there a possiblility to bring them back ?

and the last thing is the random events in the game like the burning forest ore the slave revolt i have many many idears of new events is it possible to implement more ?

i dont want to demand something i just want to know whats possible and wahts not :)

Just make bVisible to 1, i took them both out because it causes more MAFs especially Barb World, that is a great modcomp, but it takes 40% more memory and time to work.

Excuse my noob(ish) concerns, but what in the world are MAFs?

@strategyonly

So I have been working on some new buildings and one thing I have noticed is many of the techs are getting too crowded. So I am thinking we should probably just take the plunge and actually spread the tech chart out and make room for new techs.

Which way would you like to go? If we move everything over to the right on the X axis then we all have to change nearly every tech's location. If we add to the Y axis and move down then the chart will not look all nice anymore and you will have to scroll up and down just to see the whole tree.

Note that if we go to the right we could possibly fix some prehistoric tech connections since they would have worked if they were just not sitting on top of the other. However if we go down we can just add new techs without touching most of the existing techs.

How should we go about this?

Excuse my noob(ish) concerns, but what in the world are MAFs?

Pls read some info here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7175015&postcount=6

EDIT:

So I have been working on some new buildings and one thing I have noticed is many of the techs are getting too crowded. So I am thinking we should probably just take the plunge and actually spread the tech chart out and make room for new techs.

Which way would you like to go? If we move everything over to the right on the X axis then we all have to change nearly every tech's location. If we add to the Y axis and move down then the chart will not look all nice anymore and you will have to scroll up and down just to see the whole tree.

Note that if we go to the right we could possibly fix some prehistoric tech connections since they would have worked if they were just not sitting on top of the other. However if we go down we can just add new techs without touching most of the existing techs.

How should we go about this?

One thing for sure is that i am not going to be like FfH and have it scroll down, that just doesn't make sense.

One thing for sure is that i am not going to be like FfH and have it scroll down, that just doesn't make sense.

First of all I had no idea what "FfH" was so I looked it up and found this ...

http://www.civfanatics.com/gallery/files/1/2/8/2/6/8/tech_tree_original.jpg

So yeah that is what the "down" method means. So you are ok with only moving stuff over to the right but no bigger than Y20 tall (aka 10 techs tall). Because that's fine with me.

How much room should we give? Should we add empty space at the end of each era or just add an empty column between each existing one? Which would mean current X1 , X2, and X3 would be come X1, X3 and X5. And so on.

I must agree... a big fan of their mod with that scrolling down as a major exception. Would be better to have smaller tech nodes so you could fit it on one page where Y is concerned.

Playing through a game right now, just about to enter the Industrial era (new PC w/4 GB RAM really helps...lol). Couple minor things that i saw.

Native Language/Trade Language: Was there are reason these are buildings that require a Palace as opposed to Nat. Wonders? I guess if people play it the way it was meant to be played they won't use the cheese tactic of moving the Palace around later in the game to building these repeatedly.

Fishermen's Hut gives a Golden Age? I assume this was a typo in the XML as this is kind of silly.

Notice that Comm. Sats are a Nat. Wonder now and not a building in the Pedia. Maybe beef it up a tad from the 1% each and raise the cost if you are going to do that.

Native Language/Trade Language: Was there are reason these are buildings that require a Palace as opposed to Nat. Wonders? I guess if people play it the way it was meant to be played they won't use the cheese tactic of moving the Palace around later in the game to building these repeatedly.

Hmm. I thought it would have been disabled if the palace was no longer in the city. Guess not. I will make them national wonders I guess.

Top Bottom