Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

@koshling,
Sorry for the delay just EM'd you my 8400BC crash results.

I have a Win XP Pro x64 OS if that matters. I did not see a Global win32 option to capture though. Should I have included the kernel capture?

It wasn't that big, only 894KB rar'ed.

JosEPh :)

Just emailed you what I am 99% sure is the fix :) Thankyou very much for your help with this diagnosis process

3rd one rocked on! No crash. :)

JosEPh

Well..... if he got the hand ram to range bombard then the unit could throw logs at the enemy!

;) :p

JosEPh :lol:

Well..... if he got the hand ram to range bombard then the unit could throw logs at the enemy!

;) :p

JosEPh :lol:

Well they they can city bombard and have defend only. This makes so they cannot actively attack other units but can still help reduce the city defenses. Unlike say a catapult who can both actively attack and help reduce the city defenses.

Great mod - is it just me - I cannot build Sail Weaver's Hut, Rope Weaver's Hut or the Shipwright building which allow wooden ships. Anyone having similar issues? I looked at the civics, but cannot find one that is required to build these. Please help!!!

Great mod - is it just me - I cannot build Sail Weaver's Hut, Rope Weaver's Hut or the Shipwright building which allow wooden ships. Anyone having similar issues? I looked at the civics, but cannot find one that is required to build these. Please help!!!

I think you need to have built a tanner and a seamstress hut somewhere in your empire. Basically you are missing the goods that those buildings need so you need to find out which building(s) provide them.

I think you need to have built a tanner and a seamstress hut somewhere in your empire. Basically you are missing the goods that those buildings need so you need to find out which building(s) provide them.

Well there are 2 methods...

1. Tannery - Tannery can provide leather for both the rope maker and the sail maker.

2. Weaver's Hut - The weaver's hut provides cloth for the sail maker, while the rope maker directly requires the weaver's hut.

Note you can mix and match these 2 such as having cloth sails and leather rope or vice versa.

In addition make sure you have a lumber camp somewhere in your empire so you have a supply of wood to build the ships.

Weaver's hut iirc to get Seamstress.

@koshling

Thank You! :D

JosEPh

Weaver's hut iirc to get Seamstress.

Weaver's Hut = Good (Cloth)

Seamstress's Hut = Good (Clothing)

Note that you do not need Good (Cloth) to get the Seamstress's Hut. You can also get it through Good (Leather), Good (Furs) or Good (Hide).

Note that the Tailor Shop requires Good (Clothing) AND Good (Hats) AND Good (Shoes). Thus you cannot achieve a Tailor Shop with just Cloth, but also Leather. See the Goods thread for more info on this.

Alright, I've built a tanery (I ususally don't build this), I have wood but can't build the seamstress hut. It doesn't say this is necessary for the Shipwright. Still having trouble...

Alright, I've built a tannery (I usually don't build this), I have wood but can't build the seamstress hut. It doesn't say this is necessary for the Shipwright. Still having trouble...

No offense, but can you do me a favor and place this in the MODPACK thread (the BLUE writing in my signature below), it really has nothing to do with ideas/suggestions, thx.:)

Okay, playing my first game v12 (snail, giant, rev on, limited religions, mongoose map, immortal --> deity, ruthless ai). Researching Communism now, leading 3 times in score from closest opponent. Here are some thoughts and impressions.

1. Totally and absolutely amazing speed increase. Turns at end industrial era are 2-3 mins (i'm used to have them at 5-15 mins in a few games which made that far). I'm thinking of starting new game on gigantic map.
2. AI - got alot better, they were pretty ahead of me for most of the game. However, i think i can point few weak spots of AI i found in this game:
a) Several times i saw AI bringing far superior attacking stack to enemy city, and then he was standing there like 60-100 turns moving back and forth one tile not attacking. Stack was like 9 heavy xbowmen+ some hvy swords + 15 trebs + some other mixed units against 15 town watchmen + 20 archers (city defence was brought to zero at start). Another situation was city breaking away without troops into new civ, after that strange things happened - civ it broke from and it's neighbour declared war and brought troops there (massive stacks with fanatics/bombards/hvy xbowmen) - defence of city remained 155% ... and so far it it uncoquered - they just were standing around it. Maybe bombards were doing zero damage to fully upgraded medieval city, i dunno ... Also - AI expansion - for some reason they ignore barbarian city near them with almost no defence (3-4 units) and go war on far continent. This AI behavior regarding war and expansion needs to be addressed. In cases where AI could conquer 10-15 cities in 20-40 turns, it spends 100-150 turns and conquers 1-2 cities (some of which it stupidly loses after - stack from my 1st example watched enemy stack of 7-8 enemy war elephant pass by it 1 tile away to freshly conquered city, defended by 2 units and lost that city ...)
b) The key to success in this version is expansion - with all those gold producing buildings and goods all limits and reasons not to expand too much or too early have been removed. The more cities you found - the more resources (and in turn goods some of which give gold in EVERY city) you get access to, negating maintenance costs. I only once had problems with this - didnt have second capital and expanded to 25-30 cities - instability problems began, i solved them first by capturing some enemy towns, then rushing to city planning and building Forbidden Palace.

What is the need for money slider now, besides for prehistoric and early ancient era? No matter what you do, you always swim in cash. Looking into other civ cities (espionage) i see they have 300-500k money at late medieval/early reneissance era.

That brings 2 another issues - trading technologies with cash - i never trade them for cash (cause i dont need it) and always buy for cash when theres an option. And linear expansion which happens pretty early in game, imho this takes away much from game, because stability both financial and revolutions was always key aspect of civ game.

3. My proposals would be
- remove any gold value from goods (and maybe food - we already have too much food in game). Whole goods system should be aimed toward giving ability to build special buildings for special promotions (like bamboo armor and shipyards etc.), not adding raw gold/food for whole empire. production and science bonuses from goods dont seem too overwhelming so far.
- increase maintenance costs for number of cities and distance for early civics (tribalism, chiefdom, slavery, caste, monarchy, despotism) and maybe inflation. Make it optional to test in new games. Shouldn't be hard to implement i think.
- increase revolution penalties for said civics (distance wise). Make it 3 or even 5 times of current, so it wont be possible to expand endlessly early (and harder later on).
4. Some minor imbalances and issues i found:
- Monks and Fanatics getting too much exp (38 exp in current game), produced cheaply and later upgrading to Riflemen with all melee-promotions and exp. Remember money is nothing in this version. Probably upgrade cost should be tripled. After getting Flintlock and Rifling later on there's drastical decrease in exp and promotions new units get (Machine gun and artillery still get all mesopotamism temples promotions btw, same with Asatru mjolnir). Anyway, AI needs to be taught how to utilize this properly (build units with max possible exp/promos, then upgrade them).
- Power lines - i don't really understand idea behind it (and National wonder giving it to ALL cities, when power line in SINGLE city already give power to ALL continent). Makes whole original power (and power plants) concept obsolete. I honestly dont understand how building power lines in corner of continent will provide power to assembly plant on other end of it. This is absolutely unrealistic, i would suggest bringing back original way of spreading electricity.
[edit] There is power generating sources (hydro, coal etc. plants) and power transferring lines. Lines themself cannot and should not generate any power, we still need source. This is very important moment imho.
- Water pipes and Water Dept (whatever it's called) (also cisterns etc.). I never, ever build them in any of my game. Artesian well gives fresh water where i need it bad (tundra or clusters isolated by hills from fresh water), for other cities i just chain build farms to irrigate.
- Buildings like lead mine etc. giving like -2 health +2 hammer. On later game misc. Garnet mines etc. -hp +some gold. Absolutely useless. Maybe it gold issue will be reworked they will become useful again.
- Poacher camp - TOO much money from it.
- Lead - i dont see reason to build mine for lead until Mining inc. corporation. no bonuses - pure unhealthiness, not needed for anything important. I always build another improvement removing access to it once i discover Lead working.

Overall, game became much more challenging and fun, great work guys.

P.s. Glad to see Afforess here !!!

oh btw talking of charts, can you PLS get me a NEW tech chart, last one i think was v5?:)

Here is a new tech tree chart for C2C v12 (plus one fix). I hope its all correct. Let me know if I have any tech in the wrong spot.

EDIT: I am not sure why the image would not post so I had to upload it in a WinRAR instead.

EDIT2: Thanks for the feedback Talin2009. I am not going to go into any detail on you points. I agree with most of them and now have some goals to make some of the NIMBY buildings more useful by making them requirements for other things. (Ex. How I made the Tannery a key building for Good (Leather)).

However one thing I wanted to point out was that the power plants were set back the old way where the power lines gave power only because we though that having it the other way was causing the Industrialism error. Now that we know its not (hopefully) I can change it back so power plants actually produce power.

@Talin2009, I am thinking of moving the Monk to the health care units, which will mean it is defensive only. It will upgrade to the Medic. I am trying it out now.

The Monk and Fanatic in v12 are different to what I have. I also have a Fundamentalist which is the upgrade to the Fanatic somewhere.

@Talin2009, I am thinking of moving the Monk to the health care units, which will mean it is defensive only. It will upgrade to the Medic. I am trying it out now.

The Monk and Fanatic in v12 are different to what I have. I also have a Fundamentalist which is the upgrade to the Fanatic somewhere.

Monks with healthcare?? HUH?? Never heard of that before. I believe all monks/priests/ministers etc, all are Religious Fanatic's, that's why i have it set up that way.:p:mischief: I'm with Bill Maher on this one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religulous

@Talin - glad you like the DLL speedups. StrategyOnly is still moaning though, so I'll just have to find some more for the next release ;-)

On your game play points I agree with all I think. I have not yet looked at how the AI works in terms of its attack and war decision making, but I'll add it to my list and hopefully get round to it in the next week or two. If you could send me a save game that illustrates a position in which the AI should clearly be making an attack decision but just shuffles around and/or one where it fails to go after a nearby Barb city please do - ready made test cases always make life easier :)

@Talin - glad you like the DLL speedups. StrategyOnly is still moaning though, so I'll just have to find some more for the next release ;-)

On your game play points I agree with all I think. I have not yet looked at how the AI works in terms of its attack and war decision making, but I'll add it to my list and hopefully get round to it in the next week or two. If you could send me a save game that illustrates a position in which the AI should clearly be making an attack decision but just shuffles around and/or one where it fails to go after a nearby Barb city please do - ready made test cases always make life easier :)

When i get home from work ill send you 2 games with big time gap illustrating this. With same stack sitting on mountain next to city and walking back and forth 2 tiles for 50-100 turns.

[edit] Here they are. 20 turns difference only but i didn't keep every turn save, Mali still dancing around Memphis ... (It was going on and on and on (for Thebes too) for quite few turns before that.

Hope you can make AI more decisive why it starts war and how to win it fast :)

[edit2] grrrrr, donno why it doesn't insert attached file in post .... anyhow here it is
http://zalil.ru/31163329 (4 Mb archive).
p.s. clean install of C2C v12 without any modifications or addons.

Hello,
its me again asking if this mod should/is planned to work in MP since we OOS regularly, and if someone can make use of the OOS logs (or point me out how to 'read' them to find the OOS culprit)

sry for bumping the same question, but we'd really like to play on iff its possible

Top Bottom