Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

Except you can only have a small amount of national wonders in a city. I am trying to figure out a better way. ;)
Ah point taken :) Probably make things easier by creating a new category of wonders that can only be built in the capital and provide civ-wide benefits? Probably stuff that isn't buildable by the city (like built from animals, heroes, great people etc - in which case the holy place buildings for each religion would come under that category)

Just been using the terrain damage feature. It's a feature I have played around with in the past and always ended up turning it off even though I feel it's a realistic feature.

The reason why is because I think that having all units suffer damage until their destruction is actually not very realistic. This makes exploring those terrain types impossible during the early game before medics. I also think having to take a medic with a recon unit just to explore is again not realistic.

I think recon units should either suffer no damage or at least a greatly reduced damage. There should also be a maximum amount of damage received, so that units can't be totally wiped out.

EDIT: A couple of other minor points, I might as well add.

1) The Revolutions adviser is currently useless and has been that way since at least AND 1.73. For some reason the Rev status text and Rev trend text have been removed from that screen. As a user you can go into the setup ingame and re add them but even after pressing the save button the game does not remember. So once restarting you have to go in and do it again.

2) I noticed that dates on a rocky feature actually reduce the defence value to 15% even though a standard rocky feature gets 25% and dates raise any flat feature to 15%.

I'll add to here if I think of/find any more.

Terrain Damage: After Combat 1 promo you get access to area defence promos. Amongst those you have promos for Tundra and Desert defences, whereby both grant immunity to damage in said areas. Once one of those is taken a second promo becomes available, Dunes after Desert and Permafrost after Tundra. After those you get a third, Saltflats after Dunes and Ice after Permafrost. That's how you can safely and with defence bonus traverse and explore damaging terrains.

2) Rocky has no inherit defence bonus. Any 25% you've seen must have been on a rocky hill.
EDIT: Checked the Rocky and you're right, it does have an inherit 25% defence bonus and Tall Grass, Dat Palms, and so on, reduce that from 25% to 15%.

Cheers

Terrain Damage: After Combat 1 promo you get access to area defence promos. Amongst those you have promos for Tundra and Desert defences, whereby both grant immunity to damage in said areas. Once one of those is taken a second promo becomes available, Dunes after Desert and Permafrost after Tundra. After those you get a third, Saltflats after Dunes and Ice after Permafrost. That's how you can safely and with defence bonus traverse and explore damaging terrains.

Ah thanks, I guess the immunities only show up if terrain damage is enabled? Although after saying that I rarely opt for any of those promos, so I doubt I would have seen them even with terrain damage active.

Thanks for the info :)

Yeah if you specialize a scouting unit into polar or arid types of promotions you can really explore a lot of difficult territory. Its too bad the AI don't seem to be effected to since I encountered a civ early game that lived in a cold polar region and was just too far for my army to get to them without investing in special polar promotions or healers to keep them alive long enough to get to their city. It really made a great natural barrier from me invading them.

Yeah if you specialize a scouting unit into polar or arid types of promotions you can really explore a lot of difficult territory. Its too bad the AI don't seem to be effected to since I encountered a civ early game that lived in a cold polar region and was just too far for my army to get to them without investing in special polar promotions or healers to keep them alive long enough to get to their city. It really made a great natural barrier from me invading them.

That leads me to another question I meant to ask. If a city is located on a hostile tile. Will the garrison units need the promotion to be unaffected? Or do they still receive damage? I know the city would probably negate the effect via healing. But if they were attacked, it would make it much easier for the attackers.

That leads me to another question I meant to ask. If a city is located on a hostile tile. Will the garrison units need the promotion to be unaffected? Or do they still receive damage? I know the city would probably negate the effect via healing. But if they were attacked, it would make it much easier for the attackers.

Units in a city do not get terrain damage if on a damaging terrain. That's of course if you can even found the city on the terrain. However if a unit leaves the city they will get damaged if the city is also surrounded by damaging terrain, even if its in your owned territory.

So no its not easier for the attackers, and if the attackers are you then its even worse since you can get terrain damage, city units attacking you and possibly even defenses attacking you like towers and/or traps.

I can only imagine how crazy it must get in multilayer where both players experience terrain damage. Since AI seems to be immune.

Units in a city do not get terrain damage if on a damaging terrain. That's of course if you can even found the city on the terrain. However if a unit leaves the city they will get damaged if the city is also surrounded by damaging terrain, even if its in your owned territory.

So no its not easier for the attackers, and if the attackers are you then its even worse since you can get terrain damage, city units attacking you and possibly even defenses attacking you like towers and/or traps.

I can only imagine how crazy it must get in multilayer where both players experience terrain damage. Since AI seems to be immune.

That's a shame if the AI is immune, but I guess it needs all the advantages it can get..... except in my games :-D

EDIT: Oh and thanks for the info hydro :)

AI isn't immune. Seen lots of instances with damaged AI units, both Barb (neanders) and Playing AI's.

Cheers

Just saw a Neander go from 2.3 to 2.1 Str from walking from a permafrost to a permafrost.

Sitting depends on where. In their own culture they heal past the damage taken. In neutral and enemy they can't though, there they'd take damage continuously.

Cheers

You sure? I have seen units just sitting there on damaging terrain for turn upon turn with no immune promotions, healing promotions or healers in the stack.

Yes, only barbarian animals are immune to damage from terrain. Plus units don't get terrain damage within their cultural borders.

thank you make a great mod.

isn't there america, holand, austrailia and so on... in world map scinario?

please add many civ's in world map gient. lol

and unit skins too.

Hello,

first, I would like to thank to all who made and making this mod.

And one question - do you plan to add worker promotions and experience like in RIFE for FFH?

Imrahil66

Ok they were sitting in their own borders. What about players can they get damaged in their own borders from terrain?

Barbarian unit sitting in tribal village counts as being in the city, both defence bonuses and no terrain damage.

I think Pack LLama and Pack Mule would be great units for having the Mountain Leader promo on them. So this 2 units would be a othere way to bring your Worker early to the Mountains beside having a Unit Lead by a Warlord. Maybe to balance it this 2 unis could be made weaker.

I think Pack LLama and Pack Mule would be great units for having the Mountain Leader promo on them. So this 2 units would be a othere way to bring your Worker early to the Mountains beside having a Unit Lead by a Warlord. Maybe to balance it this 2 unis could be made weaker.

I am not sure what you mean. The Pack Llama and Pack Mule both have a special "Mountaineer" promotion. However it only allows for them to pass over and not other units in the stack (as far as I know).

I am not sure if there is a way to make them allow workers and not combat units over mountains. But even if they did they could not work the tile until Mountaineering tech anyways. So I think it would be kind of useless to have a worker pass over them but not be able to work them.

Top Bottom