Caveman 2 Cosmos (ideas/discussions thread)

Has anyone thought about an new improvement that will

act like a Fort to give a city one tile away water access, turning it into a

port? Houston is a port even though it is many miles away from the Gulf of

Mexico. Sacramento is another port far inland in California, past San Francisco.

Even ancient Rome had Ostia and Portus as it's ports, pulling cargo from sea

vessels up the Tiber river in barges.
It could be built on the mouth of a river that a city is on and withing the fat

cross of the city, allowing you to build the port/harbor buildings in that city,

as well as allowing ships to dock there. It could be a special function of a

cottage/town, that is a port/harbor as well for it's parent city.

In the UK the Manchester ship canal allowed large sea going ships go inland over 50 miles.

Another idea. How about allowing cottages and towns

to collect the special resource of the tile like a fort? Or perhaps only when it

reaches level 2 or 3? In the 19th century there were mining town all around the

world. Everyone living there worked for the mine or mill or provided services to

those people. Ever hear of the company store? Workers were paid in company

script that was only usable in company owned businesses.

I was thinking along these lines while playing SEM. Some civs have so many resources that they have no empty tiles to build cottages. Each civ is only a few tiles away from the next.

I would suggest the following idea.

Build a cottage and you get access to the resource, like a fort does. With no extra yield.

But you lose the 1 food and 1 commerce the cottage provides. So a cottage acts like a fort in giving no extra yield at all. The -1 food, -1 commerce stays when the cottage upgrades. You only get the additional yield given by the hamlet etc. Call it a working cottage, working hamlet etc.

So a cottage provides 1F and 1C.
A working cottage provides access to a resource only.

A hamlet provides extra F and C.
A working hamlet provides access to a resource and a smaller amount of F and C (-1F, -1C).

promotions: wheeled and tracked don't get march promotion. I don't know if it works as it supposed to, but I wanted to share this.

They should, shouldn't they... I agree. I'll make a note and get'r dun here.

It is quite irritating for me when I have, let's say, 20+ cities, subdued animal and I need to move it from one city to another to check if it may found/rush some building. Would it be possible to make a new button, e.g. Autobuild - go to a city and rush the first building from the list? If there is no such possibility because the player has no certain techs, lacks some infrastructure or just everything is built, it could be e.g. butchered.

S.

It is quite irritating for me when I have, let's say, 20+ cities, subdued animal and I need to move it from one city to another to check if it may found/rush some building. Would it be possible to make a new button, e.g. Autobuild - go to a city and rush the first building from the list? If there is no such possibility because the player has no certain techs, lacks some infrastructure or just everything is built, it could be e.g. butchered.

S.

Sounds like what you want is an automate subdued animal button. Or set of buttons.

I can figure out how to make a set of action buttons for each building that only show up if the building has not been built in a city but what if another animal is already on its way to that city to build that building? Basically I need to clone the Missionary automate function which only allows one missionary to go to a city...

We would also need to prioritise the buildings in the XML. Currently they are not in any specific order.

S.

You don't actually have to move it to see what it can build in some other city. If you hold down the shift key you can queue up multiple orders for a unit. So hold down the shift key and do the "move to" order that would send it to the city. If you keep holding down the shift key it should now be telling you what actions it can take over in that city. If you decide not to go there, you can click the "cancel order" button to cancel the move. If you decide to go there and build something, you can add the "build building X" to the order list by clicking on that button. When you release the shift key the unit will start processing the list of orders so it will move to the city and, when it gets there, do the build.

I sometimes shift-click though moving an animal to a series of several cities to find one where it can do something, and then cancel all of the moves before releasing the shift key so I can move it directly to the city I finally picked.

Well, usually. Occasionally it fails to show you what it can do there after the move, instead continuing to show you what you can do where it currently is. It is hard to tell if this is happening unless you know for certain that some action should be possible at the other location which isn't possible at the current location. I have no idea how or why it fails like that from time to time.

You don't actually have to move it to see what it can build in some other city. If you hold down the shift key you can queue up multiple orders for a unit.[...]

Thanks, I have not known that. Less convenient than an extra button but it may be applied at once and is definitely faster than moving from one city to another...

We would also need to prioritise the buildings in the XML. Currently they are not in any specific order.

Well... "First"->"Any". As for me, it could be just any choice from the possible ones.

S.

Even easier, just go into the domestic adviser and make a page dedicated to animals, put all the possible enclosures, herds, etc there then check it and it will tell you, "You can build a bear enclosure in city X". You know exactly what cities still need animals.

Even easier, just go into the domestic adviser and make a page dedicated to animals, put all the possible enclosures, herds, etc there then check it and it will tell you, "You can build a bear enclosure in city X". You know exactly what cities still need animals.

If you build such a page can we get a copy? It sounds like a reasonable addition to C2C. I was going to add one for the Properties but have not gotten round to it.

I have several special pages in my domestic adviser, one for animals, one for myths, and several for the different cultures. Just replace this in the user settings folder

Attachments

• CustomDomAdv.txt
    22.6 KB · Views: 125
I have a problem with your tech tree regarding mounted units. Currently a player can create a cavalry unit (the Horseman) in the prehistoric era! I think that's ridiculous. The earliest use of horses in warfare was the chariot. The chariot was a major weapon in early history, but in the game it is treated as a minor and insignificant footnote. I think your tech tree should look like this:

"Stirrup" and "Mounted Archery" should both require "Horse Breeding". "Horse Breeding" should require "Animal Riding". "Animal Riding" should require "Chariotry". "Chariotry" should require "Equine Domestication" and "Megafauna Domestication". And "Megafauna Domestication" should require "Elephant Domestication" and "Camel Domestication".

All of the Megafauna riders should require "Animal Riding", as should the Horseman. In this way the first mounted units a player could use would always be chariots in the Ancient Era.

I also have a problem with the Horseman unit itself. It has the characteristics of a cavalry unit, but it upgrades to Mounted Infantry. Mounted Infantry did not fight on horseback. The Mounted Infantry unit should really be treated as a melee unit in all respects except that it has the added speed of a mounted unit. If the Horseman upgrades to Mounted Infantry, it also should be considered functionally equivalent to it, i.e. - as mounted infantry that fights on foot.

I have a problem with your tech tree regarding mounted units. Currently a player can create a cavalry unit (the Horseman) in the prehistoric era! I think that's ridiculous. The earliest use of horses in warfare was the chariot. The chariot was a major weapon in early history, but in the game it is treated as a minor and insignificant footnote. I think your tech tree should look like this:

"Stirrup" and "Mounted Archery" should both require "Horse Breeding". "Horse Breeding" should require "Animal Riding". "Animal Riding" should require "Chariotry". "Chariotry" should require "Equine Domestication" and "Megafauna Domestication". And "Megafauna Domestication" should require "Elephant Domestication" and "Camel Domestication".

All of the Megafauna riders should require "Animal Riding", as should the Horseman. In this way the first mounted units a player could use would always be chariots in the Ancient Era.

I also have a problem with the Horseman unit itself. It has the characteristics of a cavalry unit, but it upgrades to Mounted Infantry. Mounted Infantry did not fight on horseback. The Mounted Infantry unit should really be treated as a melee unit in all respects except that it has the added speed of a mounted unit. If the Horseman upgrades to Mounted Infantry, it also should be considered functionally equivalent to it, i.e. - as mounted infantry that fights on foot.

I have to agree with above, except I would have Charioty require Equine Domestication or Megafauna Domestication (but not both/and). I also believe that maybe the Horseman unit should just be plain removed.

I have a problem with your tech tree regarding mounted units. Currently a player can create a cavalry unit (the Horseman) in the prehistoric era! I think that's ridiculous. The earliest use of horses in warfare was the chariot. The chariot was a major weapon in early history, but in the game it is treated as a minor and insignificant footnote.
1st, thanks for the feedback - regardless of my disagreement it's appreciated to understand the views of those playing the game.

That said - are you kidding me? You think we figured out how to hook up a horse to a wheeled vehicle before we figured out how to ride it? Sorry... I take this assertion as ludicrous.

If you approach a wild horse and you don't know anything about horse domestication yet, would you think, "gee... if only I could hook it up to a cart"? Or do you think, "what if I jump on its back... it looks strong enough to carry me! Now THAT could be useful if I could teach him to be friendly and to trust me!"?

Given that chariots weren't in use all over the world (ever heard of a Celtic or Viking or Native American Chariot?)but only in very localized regions where they were put to use - primarily around the middle east and later China - it seems fitting they are a sidenote in the mod just as they were really only influential in SOME areas of the world for a very limited period of time (relatively).

However, I do agree that they could use some more beefing and for that reason I do have planned some further promotion development for those units that take advantage of their wheeled and thus unique nature. While I can't imagine it would've been terribly easy to fight from the carriage of a chariot the usefulness of having a driver and a fighter (in some chariot forms) as well as the convenient ability for chariots to trample down those who stand in their way do have some upcoming combat representations for those who would play with Combat Mod options to come.

And perhaps they could use some extra strength in general.

I think your tech tree should look like this:

Without really closely looking at how it currently is I can't comment much on this. I'll leave this to Hydro to discuss. Except that to say Animal Riding should require Chariotry to me screams putting the cart before the horse in every literal way.

But there were plenty of civilizations that learned how to ride animals without needing to develop a chariot first. Don't see why it would be a prerequisite of riding itself.

hmm... I'm thinking that if we're basing this presumption about the chariot coming before the horse on any historical material we have to study from the ancients then we should probably consider that it's likely that Charioteering was in high fashion by the time any forms of writing were developed - it was the new 'super weapon' by the time the earliest human recordkeepers can show how our people were fighting. That does not tell me we didn't know how to ride them and even ride them into battle first.

I've yet to fully evaluate a true separation of the Mounted but fights Melee from Mounted units but I get what you're pointing at here and do agree that it needs to be sorted out properly at some point.

Again, I don't mean to be harsh or condescending... I just don't understand how we could've possibly developed the mechanical hybridization between horse and equipment before we'd developed a man to mount relationship with the horse that was already mutually beneficial to both parties. It doesn't seem right at all to me but I know that it's the kind of thing taught in schools as if it were fact yet is only weakly substantiated. So if I sound frustrated its with that current dynamic among our education system more than it is with your feedback.

However, if the scholars are correct, it's only further evidence, imo, for humanity having been HANDED technologies during the early days of human civilization rather than actually DEVELOPING those technologies on our own. There's no rational cause for the chariot to have come before mounted warfare.

Via wikipedia:

The first use of horses in warfare occurred over 5,000 years ago. The earliest evidence of horses ridden in warfare dates from Eurasia between 4000 and 3000 BC. A Sumerian illustration of warfare from 2500 BC depicts some type of equine pulling wagons

Probably chariots in Sumer at first was pulled by donkeys :)

So started a new game and Sedentary Lifestyle is only thing researchable?

You didn't set the game to a Prehistoric start and allowed the default Ancient start which is a problem we have that nobody knows how to fix unfortunately.

I have a problem with your tech tree regarding mounted units.

Thank you for your feedback however some of the changes you asked are already so. What version are you using?

Currently a player can create a cavalry unit (the Horseman) in the prehistoric era! I think that's ridiculous. The earliest use of horses in warfare was the chariot. The chariot was a major weapon in early history, but in the game it is treated as a minor and insignificant footnote. I think your tech tree should look like this:

Prehistoric Cave Painting of a Horseman.

Horses were ridden before Chariots. Horses are estimated to be first ridden 4500 BC. The first horse drawn wheeled vehicle probably originated in Mesopotamia about 3000 BC. That's around a 1500 years after. The earliest spoke-wheeled chariots date to around 2000 BC.

"Stirrup" and "Mounted Archery" should both require "Horse Breeding". "Horse Breeding" should require "Animal Riding".

The requirement s for these techs are ...

- Stirrup - Reqs Horse Breeding AND Iron Working
- Mounted Archery -Reqs Horse Breeding
- Horse Breeding - Reqs Animal Riding AND Equine Domestication AND Military Tradition

So far these are all what you say already.

"Animal Riding" should require "Chariotry". "Chariotry" should require "Equine Domestication" and "Megafauna Domestication".

- Animal Riding: Req Equine Domestication OR Camel Domestication OR Elephant Domestication
- Chariotry: Req Equine Domestication AND The Wheel

As you can see this is not as you say it since one could develope a culture without chariots. Likewiese if you have Camels you might not want tohave them as Charriots just to get Camel Riders. Same goes for Elephants or Llamas.

And "Megafauna Domestication" should require "Elephant Domestication" and "Camel Domestication".

Again Megafauna Domestication is a special case where like the other Alt-Timeline techs they get things a bit early compared to other civs but in a retro way.

Totally not true. As I ave stated above horseback ridding started in 4500 BC while te first chariots were in 3000 BC. This puts it in the Neolithic (4500 and 2000 BC) which is basically the end of the Prehistoric Era on our tech tree.

Many of the units themselves require animal riding on the unit or a tech that requires animal riding. I think there may be a few that needs to be fixed like the Deer Rider. Thanks for making of aware of this issue.

This has been left over since RoM/AND. I have always been weary of the Mounted Infantry unit. However if we did not have it upgrade then it would have to wait until Knights. Or perhaps it should upgrade into a Light Calvary instead. As I said this is one thing that has not really been changed since the times of RoM/AND.

You didn't set the game to a Prehistoric start and allowed the default Ancient start which is a problem we have that nobody knows how to fix unfortunately.

Yeah thanks you are dead right.

By the way, would love to offer my help , not good at computer stuff but can help with pedia stuff, degree in history , pm me if you like,

Top Bottom