1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Caveman 2 Cosmos

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by strategyonly, Aug 25, 2008.

1. BlueGenie

BlueGenie Chieftain

Units I understand. Taking too many turns to build them while an army was on it's way towards you would be really bad. The war might be over before you've managed to build another unit at all. This is of course the same for the AI; it needs to be able to build up some defensive units if an army is headed for them.

Buildings I'm less clear about why though one low priority reason could have to do with units as well; Quite a few buildings are required for certain units, and even more buildings grant bonus promotions or XP to units. Taking too long to build those might mean taking too long to get an effective army, both for offense and defense.

The only thing I can think of is for game gratification. Taking forever to grow is one thing, at least with faster than normal buildings you feel like you are getting somewhere even if the cities aren't growing fast.

Cheers

2. geh4th

geh4th Chieftain

I'm playing a v21 game (Emperor level, eternity speed) with the "Barbarian World" option turned on. I've discovered that there is a problem with the starting technologies that newly-risen civilizations are given. I was clued in on this when it was announced that someone got Ngaiism in 6722bc, when I was researching Bone Working. This means that I was still many centuries from Livestock Domestication, which is what one needs for Ngaiism.

Knowing that this couldn't be right - nobody could be THAT advanced this early in the game, even on Emperor - I went into World Builder and examined the Civ that had received Ngaiism (it was Russia, Stalin). Russia had mostly the same techs I had at the time (I was a bit more advanced on the prehistoric techs, I think) but also had some ancient era techs that were completely out of place. Sailing, Mining, Livestock Domestication, Bronze Working, The Wheel...that sort of thing. In the interest of maintaining a relatively balanced game, I manually edited the Russians to remove these "bonus" techs from the civ, but I didn't remove the religion. I then continued playing.

The current date in my game is 5112bc. According to a recent "top 10" news flash, I'm 2nd in the world in technology. I'm currently researching Carpentry. I had a Tracker wandering about and came across a new civ that had arisen, the Australians. They have galleys...which is again many years away for me. Once again, this Civ shouldn't be this advanced. I checked out all of the new (barbarian-risen) civilizations in World Builder and ALL of them seem to have Sailing and Mining (with some having the extras listed for Russia, above).

I understand that this COULD be a factor of my playing Emperor level, but the bottom line is that these civs shouldn't have these (relatively) advanced techs without their pre-requisites (for example, NONE of the new civs have Boat-Building, Canine Domestication, Hunting, Pottery, Barter, Trade, etc - techs normally required to gain such things as Mining, Sailing or Livestock Domestication.)

3. AIAndy

AIAndy Chieftain

Good catch. That part of the Revolution BarbarianCiv code expects those techs to be early enough to give to certain leader types. I'll fix that.

4. Civmatrix

Civmatrix Chieftain

Why was HNIC and other Canadian content deleted ? is there a way I can just keep it and stay with the updated mod at the same time? I esp like having hockey though.

5. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

None of the civs themselves are suppose to have unique stuff. When SO added the Canadian civ he forgot to take all that stuff out. The units should still look like the unique units they had, but now they don't have unique stats.

All unique units and buildings are linked to the culture wonders. Also I recently added a Hockey Rink building for anyone, not just for Canada.

6. mike1979

mike1979 Chieftain

where can i get the extra leader heads? megaloads doesn't work for obvious reasons....

dammit USA....

7. puttincomputers

puttincomputers Chieftain

I might be able to upload them if I have permission and if nobody else does it!

8. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

They're all on the SVN, a level up from the trunk in the folder structure. If you want to upload them elsewhere, ask SO about it, but I'd use the SVN, simply because the SVN version is soooo much better than vanilla v21.

9. Civmatrix

Civmatrix Chieftain

ok thanks. I appreciate the hockey!!!!!!!!!! So is HNIC now attainable if you have Canadian culture? I love the sports video also, some great hockey clips.

And Voyager should be a wonder for everyone in the space race. It should be a requirement for long space flight because it is the only probe in real life that man has that is actually on the verge of reaching interstellar space in the next few years.

You guys should just make the SVN the sole method of delivery for this mod.

10. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Totally Disagree! :nono:

Would restrict the fan base more than you realize. Not everyone has broadband. Or even a decent DSL.

JosEPh

11. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Chieftain

The main problem with that, besides what Joseph says, is then we would need two. One for the release and another for the beta. Otherwise to many people would be experencing the stuff ups I make. :blush:

12. Epona222

Epona222 Chieftain

Exactly, I haven't yet been able to make the initial massive SVN download - the official release is less than a Gig and someone usually puts up a torrent for it, much more manageable for people like me whos internet is up and down like a yo-yo!

13. mike1979

mike1979 Chieftain

thx for the help :)

took me a day or so to figure out how to use the tortoise program, but i found the extras eventually

14. Madskillz99

Madskillz99 Chieftain

Some feedback here. Apologies if any of this has already been mentioned or I have personally missed something in the game.

Version - 21
    Map - Perfectworld2 (Huge), 32 Civs
    Civ - Australia, Curtin
    Difficulty - Prince
    Speed - Eternity
    Victory - Conquest
    Last Turn - 269 (8234BC)

Neighbouring Civs are too vulnerable at start
    I began on an Australia like landmass (yay!) with 4 other Civs - Lower Sioux, Netherlands, Maya and Inca. After about 150 turns in I'd already anhilated all of them by using 3 Rock Throwers for the three Civs placed on flat ground, and then 2 Clubmen plus a Rock Thrower for a Civ on a hill. All oponents had two Rock Throwers present in their city. Before declaring war, I mearly waited a turn or so on the border for their Wanderer to, well, wander. I could have wiped them out even earlier perhaps, if I started again. Admitedly I reloaded a battle once, but I could have produced more units very easily and it was very close regardless. The production tile used for all of this subtle genocide was merely 2 hammers, 1 food. I suppose one can do a bit of this sort of thing in unmodded Civ4, but your oponents have usually gotten off a settler or ten by this time, which clearly isnt happening in this mod. As much as I LOVE having all this space to myself, cut off by ocean so I can fatten up comfortably untill sailing, I feel that I shouldnt have been able to take out all 4 so soon and simply. Actually, I'm a little concerned that it might be a bit loneley for the next 8 thousand years....

Unclear on Master Hunter animal required
    It was driving me mad not knowing if an animal had/could spawn which would allow the Master Hunter building. Under the Civpedia description of which subdued animal types is required, it ends off a short list as < , ... >. I did manage to find a post buried in a C2C thread detailing in part some more animals which could do it (probably alot more animals added since), but none of these were turning up in my region. However I did eventually come across a suitable beasty just now. It turned out to be a bigarse Goat (Ibex). I didnt have any idea that it was gonna work untill I went to butcher it and saw the MH icon appear. It was a nice surprise but not worth the former frustration of not being at all sure for quite a long time, much of which was spent trying to find more info.

Income per turn ammount not refreshing after animal butchered
    Dunno if this is just my crusty PC or a bug, but I have only just realised that after butchering something my gold per turn doesnt change/refresh unless I tamper with the +/- buttons. I'd been going for quite some time with a fair collection of mostly easily attainable creatures (saving them for future citys), under the impression they werent costing me anything. They were. For ages. It was actually one of the first things I checked, and asumed all was well as my gold didnt appear to be affected.

Quit my in' perhaps, but...
    I like field promotions but I hate getting 'Fieldsman' for Wanderers/Trackers, giving a -15% Hills Defence - which at this point cant be afforded due to the raging hordes of Koalas and Walabies trying to eat my face. I guess it could be handy if caught out in the open grass, but I spend almost all my time lurking in forrests/hills. (This isnt really a suggestion, I just wanted to express how scary marsupials are...)

The loading cursor rocks
    Almost doubles the fun...

All said, I really like this Mod, even in its developing stages. I'll find something else to whine about after a few hundred more turns or so :)

15. DRJ

DRJ Hedonist

That's what higher difficulties are for. Try playing immortal or deity, the AI will spam you nearly to death... and have additional units from turn 1!

Sry, I don't want to sound like a bully to you but what is it with players (you're not the only one) complaining about not enough difficulty when not playing on a very difficult level???? :confused:

16. Dancing Hoskuld

This is a consequence of fixing a problem in the main and city screens where the list of which units could build a building were pushing the effects of the building off screen.

@AIAndy I think you fixed the problem is there a way to get the short list in the main screens and a long list in the pedia?

17. AIAndy

AIAndy Chieftain

Yes, it is possible (and actually not too hard). I will do it tomorrow evening.

18. Mas2135

Mas2135 Chieftain

Hi!
    First, congratulate the creator of the mod!. (I was an admirer of StoneAge)

Now, I will explain my problem:
    After copying the folder MODS C2C, I try to play, but when you start the mod, are not the lyrics!
    But when I select the language of the game in ENGLISH .. all right.
    There must be some problem when you select other languages, or only happens to me?
    Thank you!
    ---------------------------------------------SPANISH-----------------:lol::lol:
    Hola!
    Primero, felicitar al creador del mod!. (Yo era un admirador de StoneAge)

Ahora, explicaré mi problema:
    Después de copiar C2C a la carpeta MODS, intento jugar, pero cuando inicia el mod, no aparecen las letras!
    Pero cuando selecciono el idioma del juego en INGLES.. todo correcto.
    Debe haber algun problema a la hora de seleccionar otros idiomas, o solo me ocurre a mi?
    Gracias!
    :scan:

19. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

I have noticed this for quite a while on normal (random) maps. I disagree DRJ that diffuculties are the answer, because I am not a good civ player by any standard,:rolleyes: and Noble gives me a pretty good run for my money, more so with Koshling's many improvements. I think something should be done about this in the Prehistoric Era, maybe giving +100% Defense in your Capitol until you reach Sedentary Lifestyle or something that would help the AI and not be open to abuse. That's just my 2c though.

20. Dancing Hoskuld

There is a problem playing in any other language than English. It is caused because not all the text values have the other language tags. They need to exist even if they only have the English in them else C2C can't be played in another language.