Caveman 2 Cosmos

wondering if there's anything that can be done to change the behavior of automated units. for example, these three clusters of 25 "hunting" ships (pre-astronomy) have been going back and forth on these same 3 tiles for about 20,000 years(that's a lot of turns!) it would be nice if they would actually go kill stuff, like the giant squid and sharks and crap floating about elsewhere in the empire. http://i49.tinypic.com/27zheds.jpg

edit: just a one-turn example http://www.youtu.be/428C6sm094c some of the ships have recently upgraded themselves to caravels and are now out exploring the planet(hooray!) but most of them are still puttering back and forth in that same spot.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2ez2re0.jpg red is marshes on the coast. blue is marshes on the coast with fresh water. magenta is marsh on the coast on a hill. none of these can be settled, and for some odd reason all marshes on the world map have mangroves on them, none are plain marshes, none have anything fancy like a jungle. the hill tile does have yummy watermelons but that doesn't let us settle there. here's the initial 50000bc savefile if you want to play with it http://www.filedropper.com/autosaveinitialbc-50000

Before going away I did modify the code to put mangroves on tropical and sub-tropical coasts where there was no other feature. Maybe I made a mistake. Thanks for the save. (BTW yes I am back at home but there is no coffee:mad:)

http://i45.tinypic.com/2ez2re0.jpg red is marshes on the coast. blue is marshes on the coast with fresh water. magenta is marsh on the coast on a hill. none of these can be settled, and for some odd reason all marshes on the world map have mangroves on them, none are plain marshes, none have anything fancy like a jungle. the hill tile does have yummy watermelons but that doesn't let us settle there. here's the initial 50000bc savefile if you want to play with it http://www.filedropper.com/autosaveinitialbc-50000

Those are some interesting graphics as well, someone should probably look into that.

Sorry for posting my crime bug here earlier but i thought this was rather an issue in the current svn than a bug.

More generally crime has become a huge problem since there are too many crime sources and too little measures against it. It is that way in the svn for 2 or 3 weeks now.
Even when building all law buildings a larger city usually has permanently growing crime. The AI also has huge problems because of it and isn't expanding as well as in earlier versions.
The only working method is building lots of town watchmen/guards, which costs considerably.

So maybe you could tweak the crime increases a little down?

Since this does not belong int the SVN thread i´ll answere here.
Crime isnot exatley a problem if you build with caution. It is harder to fight early on ( gets way better somewhere in industrial era). But it´s not insaneley hard as well.
You don´t need tons of units. A few, yes, but so many buildings now help coutnerign crime, that it has in fact beocme easier,not harder.
lookout post/ town guard, towers. Early the counters hut, the seal maker, later on helped by the law school ( ok, coutners hut is obsolete by then).

Awesome mod, massive work done here! My compliments:goodjob:

Now about some suggestion :mischief: :

AI overexpanding - the most fearful AI enemy is his own growing empire , most of my opponents are just never ending field of battle with rebels. What a competiotion they can give me ? :< My current game is at Prince difficulty at Huge map and I have (I'll make an example of most dumb AI:confused:) a Holy Roman empire that grove to size of 14 cities barely before discovering the Bronze working( despotism rule I mean). Last 5 cities were build in the goddamn Sout Pole... Literally , they give like nothing, even no resourses near. Of course after some time passed the Rebellion started and the Canadian rebels took 5 Major cities from once fearful empire and not a single useless 1 sized arctic cities. So I think something should be done here. AI just don't make proper priorities. It is always fun to watch live dynamic world but sometimes it brings no competition :king:
---------
And from this my dissapointment grows a question : How can I change the faction I play ? I would like to take some AI faction and try to overwhelm my own Roman empire. I cross my fingers expecting this to be possible . Best regards

Ok , i need some help : i have the italian version of Civs Complete , because you said that is needed have the english version , i willl ask you : Do i need to re-install it ? Or simply swap lenguages ? And if it is the last , how to do it ?

Ok , i need some help : i have the italian version of Civs Complete , because you said that is needed have the english version , i willl ask you : Do i need to re-install it ? Or simply swap lenguages ? And if it is the last , how to do it ?

In the options screen of the game you reach from the main menue there is dropdown menue to chagne languages as far as I remember.
Also someone starteds to work on an Italien translation of the mod. Just try if it runs in Italian. I think that is one of the languages where most text files at least got the language tags for. Some describtions will be missing and most be in English but it should be playable.

The problem is that he doesen' t starts , he simply doesen' t appear in "Load a mod" screen

The problem is that he doesen' t starts , he simply doesen' t appear in "Load a mod" screen

Then you probalby put it inthe wrong folder...
If you got the Complete Edition like me this can be confusing. The mod must go int othe mods folder in the Beyond the sword folder, not the mods folder in the main folder of the game installation.

For me it´s D:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods

If you put it into Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Mods it won´t show up when starting Beyond the Sword.

This seems really fun, i love these extremely long-winded and in-depth games that dont require you to be break-neck fast with your decisions so you actually have time to think. Part of the reason why i like Civ to begin with lol.

Gotta admit though i wish you had some kind of guidance for starting area. I started a new game like 15 times till i got one that wasnt 3-4 grass tiles then the rest mountains or desert/ice lol. I even spawned on a 4-5 tile Oasis-type area in the middle of a desert i couldnt cross. Kinda funny at first but got old quick.

Finally got one that seems balanced so ima play it now.

How can I change the faction I play ? I would like to take some AI faction and try to overwhelm my own Roman empire. I cross my fingers expecting this to be possible . Best regards

1. Start in Hotseat with all civs played by you.

2. With all civs you do not want to control press ctrl + m (or ctrl + shift + m, dont remeber)

3. set AI autoplay for 100 truns

4. with civ you want to control, do not press AI autoplay.

5. play your only civ for 100 turns.

6. after 100 turns - think over which civs you want to take control of, and repeat step 2 to 6

NOTE. You can autoplay from 1 to 10 000 turns. So maybe not 100 autooplay turns, but 10? :goodjob:

And from this my dissapointment grows a question : How can I change the faction I play ? I would like to take some AI faction and try to overwhelm my own Roman empire. I cross my fingers expecting this to be possible . Best regards

1. Start in Hotseat with all civs played by you.

2. With all civs you do not want to control press ctrl + m (or ctrl + shift + m, dont remeber)

3. set AI autoplay for 100 truns

4. with civ you want to control, do not press AI autoplay.

5. play your only civ for 100 turns.

6. after 100 turns - think over which civs you want to take control of, and repeat step 2 to 6

NOTE. You can autoplay from 1 to 10 000 turns. So maybe not 100 autooplay turns, but 10? :goodjob:
There is an easier solution for a normal game.
Activate cheat mode (chipotle in the Civ ini), then use Ctrl-Shift-L. That brings up a popup that allows you to change the player you control.

Bleugh. Either way you know the geography of the world from the start. Spoils the exploration fun IMO. Just take your starting position on the chin in most cases! The only exception IMO is if you're right in the middle of a large area of damaging terrain, or alone on a very small landmass.

My latest game I was largely surrounded by barren land and food reproduction was terrible, but in CV2C everything is so building-based, that it rights itself fairly quickly (by early ancient really) and it's not as much of a disadvantage as you think it is (and makes strategic wars for resources/good land more key which makes everything more interesting)

Bleugh. Either way you know the geography of the world from the start. Spoils the exploration fun IMO. Just take your starting position on the chin in most cases! The only exception IMO is if you're right in the middle of a large area of damaging terrain, or alone on a very small landmass.

My latest game I was largely surrounded by barren land and food reproduction was terrible, but in CV2C everything is so building-based, that it rights itself fairly quickly (by early ancient really) and it's not as much of a disadvantage as you think it is (and makes strategic wars for resources/good land more key which makes everything more interesting)

I feel the same about exploration. I like to play with continents for this reason. It's fun building up and maybe dominating your little corner of the world only to find you're a little fish in a big pond when you start exploring the world.
One time I started surrounded by land (I always try to start on cost if I can). I moved the settlers a couple times but didn't want to waste too much time so just settled the city. Found out soon enough I was only one space away from the coast!

If you play on a map with a "start in Old World" option you can basically guarantee that you'll meet everyone by the Medieval Era, and if you use the Barb World as well you will have an interesting time colonizing in the Renaissance as well. Another reason I mostly use PW3.

Awesome mod, massive work done here! My compliments:goodjob:

Now about some suggestion :mischief: :

AI overexpanding - the most fearful AI enemy is his own growing empire , most of my opponents are just never ending field of battle with rebels. What a competiotion they can give me ? :< My current game is at Prince difficulty at Huge map and I have (I'll make an example of most dumb AI:confused:) a Holy Roman empire that grove to size of 14 cities barely before discovering the Bronze working( despotism rule I mean). Last 5 cities were build in the goddamn Sout Pole... Literally , they give like nothing, even no resourses near. Of course after some time passed the Rebellion started and the Canadian rebels took 5 Major cities from once fearful empire and not a single useless 1 sized arctic cities. So I think something should be done here. AI just don't make proper priorities. It is always fun to watch live dynamic world but sometimes it brings no competition :king:
---------

One suggestion for you. Try a game or 2 with out REV. You won't have all that muck from AI empires destroying themselves thru revolutions.

JosEPh

There is an easier solution for a normal game.
Activate cheat mode (chipotle in the Civ ini), then use Ctrl-Shift-L. That brings up a popup that allows you to change the player you control.

Thanks alot, took control of Netherlands who were losing war to Iroques so far. Have pretty enjoyable experience right now trying to not fall back from my Roman Empire(who imedietly crushed closest neighbor and claimed all his cities).

One thing that i have noticed that AI changes Civics way too much, I guess that's one of the reasons for alot of revolutions and instability in their domains. For example My Own empire (Roman) somehow failed behind my new Netherland empire in gold (Romans had 2x of netherlands total income while i was playing them) after for like 100 turns. I don't even know how he did this ... Because half of Netherlands were in ruins and they had only 2 big cities while Romans had 10 cities with 15+ population in early calssic era. Maybe changing into BARTER wasn't such a great decision ?:king:

Thanks alot, took control of Netherlands who were losing war to Iroques so far. Have pretty enjoyable experience right now trying to not fall back from my Roman Empire(who imedietly crushed closest neighbor and claimed all his cities).

One thing that i have noticed that AI changes Civics way too much, I guess that's one of the reasons for alot of revolutions and instability in their domains. For example My Own empire (Roman) somehow failed behind my new Netherland empire in gold (Romans had 2x of netherlands total income while i was playing them) after for like 100 turns. I don't even know how he did this ... Because half of Netherlands were in ruins and they had only 2 big cities while Romans had 10 cities with 15+ population in early calssic era. Maybe changing into BARTER wasn't such a great decision ?:king:
Koshling has done some serious optimization in the civic department lately so it should be considerably better now (in the SVN version).

Top Bottom