Caveman 2 Cosmos

What are those [paragraph:NUMBER] entries in game text files?
Sometimes they have typos.
They are for text formatting. The number indicates the number of lines between, 1= normal space like inside the paragraph. 2= an extra space between paragraphs and is much easier to read. It also indents the first line of the paragraph. Again for better reading. Awhile ago I did go through and fix many. IIRC case is not important.

Ok got the SVN to work... but now the world builder does not seem to function correctly... :(

Cant place or edit anything in the world builder and once you exit it, all of the interface options are still on the screen and everything seems to kinda of break.

Last edited:
Ok got the SVN to work... but now the world builder does not seem to function correctly... :(

Cant place or edit anything in the world builder and once you exit it, all of the interface options are still on the screen and everything seems to kinda of break.
You need to delete cache

They are for text formatting. The number indicates the number of lines between, 1= normal space like inside the paragraph. 2= an extra space between paragraphs and is much easier to read. It also indents the first line of the paragraph. Again for better reading. Awhile ago I did go through and fix many. IIRC case is not important.
Well sometimes I find random [PARAGRAPH:2] in game pedia or like that.

Last edited:
Cache of like saved games or the place I “checked out” the SVN too? Or something else?

And thanks for being so helpful and answering all of my noob questions!

There is cache.
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword

I disabled all caching options in my CivilizationIV.ini (found in same folder as cache), so it doesn't cause any problems.

Well sometimes I find random [PARAGRAPH:2] in game pedia or like that.
That is correct. It makes it the usual paragraph structure. The text in the XML may be formatted with spaces and so on to make it look right or you can use these format strings to make the text smaller. Basically the same as HTML but uses [ and ] instead of < and >.

That is correct. It makes it the usual paragraph structure. The text in the XML may be formatted with spaces and so on to make it look right or you can use these format strings to make the text smaller. Basically the same as HTML but uses [ and ] instead of < and >.
I meant when playing or just looking in pedia, not in files directly when looking at gametext files.
So I guess such [paragraph] entries weren't formatted correctly.

Last edited:
@Thunderbrd I added warnings to Raging Barbarians/Barbarian world, that AI perfomance may suffer as there would be more barbarians.
I also added message to No revolutions option, that revolutions may be dangerous for AI even after fixes and after making it more aware of properties (crime is major danger source for revolutions), and that this option isn't officially supported.

Minor Nations option is already marked as bad for AI.
Ruthless/Aggressive AI options were hidden earlier.

I also fixed typo in "Right of Passage" option.

Spoiler :

Civ4BeyondSword 2018-05-30 18-49-58-48.jpg
Civ4BeyondSword 2018-05-30 18-49-40-42.jpg
Civ4BeyondSword 2018-05-30 18-49-29-20.jpg
Civ4BeyondSword 2018-05-30 18-49-33-95.jpg
Civ4BeyondSword 2018-05-30 18-49-23-76.jpg

Can I commit changes to option tooltips, or something should be changed?

On unrelated note can I add my spacemap?
It doesn't have AIs, it is more for testing purposes.

Last edited:
I also fixed typo in "Right of Passage" option.
What was the typo?

The rest seems fine to commit. I don't see why not to add your map.

You need to delete cache
I deleted the entire folder, I believe my caching = 0 in the ini.... sadly still not functionality with the world builder. Unable to place or do anything, and when I try to close out of it, its interface stays on the screen and the game becomes seized up :(

What was the typo?

The rest seems fine to commit. I don't see why not to add your map.
It said Rite of Passage, not Right of Passage.
Aren't those pronounced in same way?
Rite is Ritual (English isn't my native language, and there are few flavors of it :p)

I deleted the entire folder, I believe my caching = 0 in the ini.... sadly still not functionality with the world builder. Unable to place or do anything, and when I try to close out of it, its interface stays on the screen and the game becomes seized up :(
Maybe you have outdated Toffer's modmod?

Last edited:
It said Rite of Passage, not Right of Passage.
Aren't those pronounced in same way?
Rite is Ritual (English isn't my native language, and there are few flavors of it :p)

Maybe you have outdated Toffer's modmod?

I redid the process twice, second time it worked! Hoping I can finish a full game now!

I finished cleaning Civics game text. So much rust. Also long text formating was kinda broken.
Now it has around 2x less lines :p
At least our German translator will have easier time translating this file.

Well the AI seems to build lot less units in the later versions so it is easier to beat.

There are quite a lot of versions after V 34 to which that certainly does not apply but in some cases, you are right. Stock V37 was good in building units for example but now as the crew is forced to fix the AI, I recommend waiting a fresh rerelease of V38 and hoping that it holds up to it's name this time.

Joseph II did have some version here around svn9880 which is quite good but 9634 is the last that is real good on build and battle that I know of.

Thank you, latest SVN worked and AI is expanding rapidly now.

So far so good :p Good work guys, thank you for all the hours you spend here!

Have another question:
- I am not a big fan of the whole prehistoric era, so I usually skip on autoAI first 500-700 turns.
- Now, I also like to start with no traits and have progressing traits(or whatever it's called)
- So, that means that the AI choose first 2-3 traits for me, which is fine... But I found an interesting bug

I have a protective trait, which does apply city def bonus BUT does not provide my melee/archers with city garrison. While AI was still autoplaying, he HAD the units with this promotion built, but as soon as I started to play manually - poof, that part of the trait is gone

Is there any way I can fix this?

I have a protective trait, which does apply city def bonus BUT does not provide my melee/archers with city garrison. While AI was still autoplaying, he HAD the units with this promotion built, but as soon as I started to play manually - poof, that part of the trait is gone
It would have to be fixed in the code but I'm not sure why it's happening. I'll have to look into it.

There is cache.
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword

I disabled all caching options in my CivilizationIV.ini (found in same folder as cache), so it doesn't cause any problems.

Out of the blue the issue has returned... cleared the cache again, no use. In order to stop caching do I set that option to 0 in the ini file? Currently its set to = 1.

; Disable caching of file system (may slow initialization)
DisableFileCaching = 1

; Disable caching of xml and file system (may slow initialization)
DisableCaching = 0

Top Bottom