Caveman 2 Cosmos

Huh, so I've got a nearly repeatable crash here. My game seems to go down the moment I build a couple of forges, which are necessary to complete the forge quest, because the crash isn't actually tethered to Water Wheels because I managed to get it to go whilst researching insurance again. Anyone around here willing to take a peek at the save, see if they can find and squash the bug? :p

Those bugs were fixed in SVN.
Hey Raxo, got a repeatable crash for you. I've managed to nail it down - its not the building of the forges to finish the forge event line that's causing the crash (unless I'm having a second issue at the same time), its the research of Water Wheels that's crashing the game by the seems of things because I'm getting a TechAquired error like the one in the above screenshot, even if the hex code changes each time. I've attached the save to this post - just end the turn and the game should crash with the error.

Gonna load the game back up and mess around, see if I can't confirm it as being Water Wheels that is the cause.

EDIT: Just did a little test by switching over to try and research Floristry - it isn't Waterwheels that causes the crash, either, it just happens at the end of that turn for some reason.

Attachments

• Alexander BC-7930.CivBeyondSwordSave
    3.5 MB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Hey Raxo, got a repeatable crash for you. I've managed to nail it down - its not the building of the forges to finish the forge event line that's causing the crash (unless I'm having a second issue at the same time), its the research of Water Wheels that's crashing the game by the seems of things because I'm getting a TechAquired error like the one in the above screenshot, even if the hex code changes each time. I've attached the save to this post - just end the turn and the game should crash with the error.

Gonna load the game back up and mess around, see if I can't confirm it as being Water Wheels that is the cause.

EDIT: Just did a little test by switching over to try and research Floristry - it isn't Waterwheels that causes the crash, either, it just happens at the end of that turn for some reason.
This one could be interference between Revolutions and @Toffer90 pedia.

Turn processed normally and new civilization was created.
Do you have latest version of Toffer's pedia?

The only strange thing is, the game crashed immediately after this screenshot, probably due to the error in the log at the top when I researched the Water Wheels technology, but I haven't a clue why because the game was running fine till I got that tech and instantly crashed. I've had similar issues before involving crashes when researching insurance, but reloading the game fixed that one. This one seems to be repeating on my end, but I've just updated to the latest SVN and we'll see what happens! I just hope it isn't something to do with the mod-mod that changes the fonts and the other one that removes the latitude requirements, because this is a space map!
Looks a lot like a bug I fixed in the PPIO modmod recently, whenever a new civ spawned from revolution that error message would appear and the game would crash on end turn. It is not repeatable per say, but revolutions can in some cases only be delayed for so long with saving and loading the game before they reach a point of almost 100% chance of occurring.
Are you using the latest PPIO version?

Do you have latest version of Toffer's pedia?
Looks a lot like a bug I fixed in the PPIO modmod recently, whenever a new civ spawned from revolution that error message would appear and the game would crash on end turn. It is not repeatable per say, but revolutions can in some cases only be delayed for so long with saving and loading the game before they reach a point of almost 100% chance of occurring.
Are you using the latest PPIO version?
Yeah, that must have been the problem - I updated the mod and managed to keep going! I'd have posted sooner, but I was too busy setting fire to Babylon :p

Unfortunately I seem to have encountered a pretty bad crash. I have been playing a very long game, the save file is up to 5300 KB, and every single time I try to cycle past my current turn the game crashes. It seems to process the other players and then right before I should take back control it just goes to my desktop and the game is closed out and gone. I just finished researching submarine warfare, and I have a number of subs, and Q ships in production... I am playing on a standard size world map and there's like 20 or so civilizations around (thanks to constant revolutions across the globe). I also noted sometimes the save file shrinks, like my last save was 5399 KB, and the new current one (I made a new save file after the crashes started) is exactly 5300 KB.... not sure if that has anything do with it? I have attached the new save, and the old save, but both are on the same turn and both crash on cycle..

Other notes, I have turned the graphics basically off, and it has had no effect. Everything was previously running fine, no issues with medium graphics.

I am using windows 10, I have a GTX 680, slightly older gaming PC build from around 2012. They worked really well until now, granted the turns got slower, but thats ok, I am just worried I will not be able to finish my game I have spent like months chipping away at! Please let me know what other details you need.

Attachments

• the c2c roman game of games.CivBeyondSwordSave
    5.2 MB · Views: 498
  • newc2cromemedevil.CivBeyondSwordSave
    5.2 MB · Views: 397
Alright, I'm not sure whether I ran into some bugs, or whether I simply don't properly understand some game mechanics. Perhaps someone can shed some light on the following:

1 - I built the Great Lighthouse wonder, giving me +2 trade routes in all my coastal cities. Since 12 out of 13 of my cities are on the coast, and the average gpt for a trade route is currently just under 3gpt, you'd think I'd gain 40-ish gpt on completion of the wonder. Instead my gpt remains unchanged. How is this possible?

2 - Conversely, shortly afterwards I built the Department of Water national wonder, which states it gives a free water pipe in all my cities. However, on completion my gpt tanked, as the provided water pipes still cost upkeep.
Does "free" in this case simply mean they are simply only instantly built in all applicable cities, rather than being built *and* costing no upkeep?

3 - How exactly does the power ratio for espionage points get calculated? I'm 100% sure I've outproduced all my opponents since the start of the game. Yet some of the power ratios are still heavily in favor of the AI. How is this possible?

This is on one of the latest SVNs by the way. 10084 IIRC.

Last edited:
I built the Great Lighthouse wonder, giving me +2 trade routes in all my coastal cities. Since 12 out of 13 of my cities are on the coast, and the average gpt for a trade route is currently just under 3gpt, you'd think I'd gain 40-ish gpt on completion of the wonder. Instead my gpt remains unchanged. How is this possible?
You may be at the maximum amount of trade routes already or there might not have been enough other cities on the trade network to add more.

Does "free" in this case simply mean they are simply only instantly built in all applicable cities, rather than being built *and* costing no upkeep?
Yes. These wonders can be quite costly so are a bit of a double edged sword.

3 - How exactly does the power ratio for espionage points get calculated? I'm 100% sure I've outproduced all my opponents since the start of the game. Yet some of the power ratios are still heavily in favor of the AI. How is this possible?
If you go to your espionage advisor you can allocate how much of your espionage is applying towards which player. If they are concerned about you they are probably putting more of the espionage they produce into you and since you're spreading yours out evenly, they are able to gain on the ratio between you and them even though you're overall making more espionage per round. You're not putting as much into them as they are into you.

Unfortunately I seem to have encountered a pretty bad crash. I have been playing a very long game, the save file is up to 5300 KB, and every single time I try to cycle past my current turn the game crashes. It seems to process the other players and then right before I should take back control it just goes to my desktop and the game is closed out and gone. I just finished researching submarine warfare, and I have a number of subs, and Q ships in production... I am playing on a standard size world map and there's like 20 or so civilizations around (thanks to constant revolutions across the globe). I also noted sometimes the save file shrinks, like my last save was 5399 KB, and the new current one (I made a new save file after the crashes started) is exactly 5300 KB.... not sure if that has anything do with it? I have attached the new save, and the old save, but both are on the same turn and both crash on cycle..

Other notes, I have turned the graphics basically off, and it has had no effect. Everything was previously running fine, no issues with medium graphics.

I am using windows 10, I have a GTX 680, slightly older gaming PC build from around 2012. They worked really well until now, granted the turns got slower, but thats ok, I am just worried I will not be able to finish my game I have spent like months chipping away at! Please let me know what other details you need.
Is this on the latest SVN version?

You may be at the maximum amount of trade routes already or there might not have been enough other cities on the trade network to add more.
TIL there is a cap on the number of trade routes. Thanks, will read up on that.

Yes. These wonders can be quite costly so are a bit of a double edged sword.
Misinterpretation on my end then, alright.

If you go to your espionage advisor you can allocate how much of your espionage is applying towards which player. If they are concerned about you they are probably putting more of the espionage they produce into you and since you're spreading yours out evenly, they are able to gain on the ratio between you and them even though you're overall making more espionage per round. You're not putting as much into them as they are into you.
I've been checking that screen regularly and tweaking as needed. From what I can tell at least, I've made sure the amount of espionage points allocated to specific AI has always been higher than theirs towards me. At least, I assume that's what the second number is for.

Unless the information you get of the amount of points allocated by the AI towards you is not 100% reliable, that would explain a few things I suppose. And it'd make sense.

Yes I have 38.1 on there, got it shortly after it came out... (unless there has been an update since 19 FEB)
Then you don't have latest SVN version.
If you hover on flag at minimap you will see what version you have.
AI was horribly broken there.

Then you don't have latest SVN version.
If you hover on flag at minimap you will see what version you have.
AI was horribly broken there.

I see, I must be some what of a noob when it comes to playing mods on Civ 4, I had simply downloaded the one on the download page... is that not how this is done? What is an SVN... and how does one get the latest version of it?

Yes I have 38.1 on there, got it shortly after it came out... (unless there has been an update since 19 FEB)
There are probably crashes that have been fixed since then.

What are those [paragraph:NUMBER] entries in game text files?
Sometimes they have typos.

Top Bottom