Caveman 2 Cosmos

The dynamic unit entities are probably referring to the graphic objects attached to units by promotions or by tech achievement along with other prerequisites.
I looked at code and it looks it works on units themselves somehow.

It was set to 0 since it was added.

I looked at code and it looks it works on units themselves somehow.

It was set to 0 since it was added.
It was added, iirc, long before C2C. I'm not sure quite what it's intent is.

It was added, iirc, long before C2C. I'm not sure quite what it's intent is.
Nope, it was added in SVN 2440 by koshilng, but it never was turned on.
Its intent is to save some memory.

Blame tool shows, that no one touched it later.
That is no one knows about existence about this global, and its inactive since it was added.

That is no one knows about existence about this global, and its inactive since it was added.
OK, well, @Koshling would know whether and when to use it then. I've seen terminology similar to that in use around the stuff that deals with units and mapping matters.

OK, well, @Koshling would know whether and when to use it then. I've seen terminology similar to that in use around the stuff that deals with units and mapping matters.
There are two other INI (vanilla) settings, that are useful for reducing memory load too:

Code:
; Set to 1 to page units out when non-visible
DynamicUnitPaging = 1

; Set to 1 to page unit anims out when the unit is non visible
DynamicAnimPaging = 1

Yeah, Koshling probably set it to 0 for a reason.
Either because setting it to 1 is unstable (buggy code), or because he made an improved alternative code and added that global so that one can easily switch back to unimproved original code.
There could be another explanation, but I won't guess more than needed.

If Koshling added the define and set it to 0 then we shouldn't mess with it without knowing exactly what it does, Koshling is perhaps the most talented coder C2C have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

If Koshling added the define and set it to 0 then we shouldn't mess with it without knowing exactly what it does, Koshling is perhaps the most talented coder C2C have ever had the pleasure of knowing.
He was here in February last time, and he completely ignored this mod except for multiplayer games, that were abandoned some time ago.
Maybe @alberts2 or @AIAndy can tell what it does in code.

He was here in February last time, and he completely ignored this mod except for multiplayer games, that were abandoned some time ago.
Maybe @alberts2 or @AIAndy can tell what it does in code.
It was part of his project. Why are you so interested in it?

• A correction in the code to help the AI spread cities much faster. Thanks to jman once again.
You forgot to add updated source files in that commit :p
Just DLL was updated - on next compile this fix will be reverted :lol:

Last edited:
Idle question: why is it Pyramids require sculptures (that is, the resource), but the Sphinx does not? I would have thought it'd be the opposite, given the Sphinx is a giant sculpture itself. Does it have to do with carving techniques used in creating the Pyramids' blocks? An abstraction of what was stored in the Pyramids? Just an arbitrary gameplay decision?

I know the V 38.5 guide states that their are too many complicated factors involved in crime and disease to consider when playing, but I often find these values keep going up even as I make measures to lower them. I'm not looking for specific details, just the general factors (e.g the higher factor x, the higher crime is; the lower factor y, the higher disease).

Also, I've noticed that after building a wonder (I forget the name) that provides -100 disease/turn, the city was at -100/turn, then quickly dropped to -80/turn the next turn, eventually reaching zero. Does the rate of disease (and crime, I guess) increase/decrease with respect to the current number for disease? Like, should I worry about, say, +2 disease/turn if I'm at -300 disease?

Idle question: why is it Pyramids require sculptures (that is, the resource), but the Sphinx does not? I would have thought it'd be the opposite, given the Sphinx is a giant sculpture itself. Does it have to do with carving techniques used in creating the Pyramids' blocks? An abstraction of what was stored in the Pyramids? Just an arbitrary gameplay decision?
Looks like its random inconsistency.

I know the V 38.5 guide states that their are too many complicated factors involved in crime and disease to consider when playing, but I often find these values keep going up even as I make measures to lower them. I'm not looking for specific details, just the general factors (e.g the higher factor x, the higher crime is; the lower factor y, the higher disease).

Also, I've noticed that after building a wonder (I forget the name) that provides -100 disease/turn, the city was at -100/turn, then quickly dropped to -80/turn the next turn, eventually reaching zero. Does the rate of disease (and crime, I guess) increase/decrease with respect to the current number for disease? Like, should I worry about, say, +2 disease/turn if I'm at -300 disease?
Properties decay towards 0, so they can't increase/decrease without limit.
So if property at lets say 1000 decays at 4% per turn, then it will decrease by 40 on next turn, if all inputs and outputs are at equilibrium.
Higher decay rates for pollution, crime and disease would make them more manageable.
For education its ambivalent - on positive side its bad and on negative side its good.
Higher decay rate would be bad for tourism.

You have a cushion to work with for awhile.
But as your Pop grows so does the amount/rate of increasing (+) Disease value. The Number of diseases in your empire is an accumulation of +Disease values. As you let it grow (become more Positive) then the next disease will kick in when it's entry point is achieved. I does not go away until the Level is decreased below it's entry point value. If you let Disease go unchecked and allow all Diseases to enter into your empire then the accumulated effects of ALL diseases will basically shut your empire down. There is a Thread on Diseases that I posted that has a chart I made on what happens to :food::hammers::gold::yuck::) etc. Diseases is a shorter list than Crimes. 16 Diseases vs 80+ Individual Crimes.

And the formula is not quite as simple as raxxo made it out to be either. He just gave a brief over view.

Looks like its random inconsistency.
Specifically designed that way. There was much discussion on it at the time. If you look closely you will see that The Spinx gets a boost to building from having sculptures.

I can't remember exactly why but I think it was done that way to allow you to build them in the correct historical time period. BtW the way I test a mod is to try and build both by the correct date. If there is no way to then the mod fails.:lol:

Both positive and negative effects decay. I'm not sure, but perhaps it's a bad idea to build -crime/disease buildings or units (especially buildings) when you don't need them, it seems like their benefits dissipate to nothing and then later, in a crisis, they're no help.

In my experience education changes per turn are a lot more stable, eg. if you have a -5/turn, education will keep going down until you do something about it.

At -300 crime or disease, I would only worry about +41 or more per turn. I find it helpful to multiply the per turn by 10, to find out what the current change would result in if it persisted for 10 turns (it certainly won't, and it's more likely to move towards zero than the other way, but I find it a good rule of thumb that avoids too much harmful thinking...:mischief:).

The main other factors I can think of are: population increase makes crime and disease jump up (and education jump down), and then if there are criminals in your city (including your own), they mostly have a huge impact (conversely getting rid of them/moving them away gives a big crime per turn reduction).

You forgot to add updated source files in that commit :p
Just DLL was updated - on next compile this fix will be reverted :lol:
@Thunderbrd you seem to miss my post - I bet that commit was already reverted by accident as you forgot to upload source files in that commit.
Spoiler :

q.png

@Thunderbrd you seem to miss my post - I bet that commit was already reverted by accident as you forgot to upload source files in that commit.
TB probably had the source files on his side, and thus didn't lose it on his next compile.
It isn't always super important to commit the source files right away if one is making a small quick fix while working on something bigger that isn't finished yet.
However, it is good practice to have the source files for the latest dll on the SVN at all times.

TB probably had the source files on his side, and thus didn't lose it on his next compile.
Well he didn't commit those files in later commits - just minor bug fix in unit stuff and culture related thing.

In that commit he didn't update version file, that gets updated automagically each time he compiles stuff.

That is I suspect, that whatever fix was to AI city expansion it is gone now.
It seems like it really got reverted - AI expands slower (but all 4 of them expand - I'm doing autorun with same settings).

By the way why sometimes civ color and leader color (in scoreboard) aren't same?

Attachments

• SVN 10553.CivBeyondSwordSave
    2.1 MB · Views: 225
  • Earlier autorun.CivBeyondSwordSave
    2.1 MB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Top Bottom