1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Caveman 2 Cosmos

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by strategyonly, Aug 25, 2008.

1. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

@alberts2 Is even vanilla memsaver relevant?
    Its in ini file.

Code:
    ; Allows some memory savings *** ALT-TAB WILL NO LONGER FUNCTION ***
    MemSaver = 0
    By the way if you type "civ4 memsaver" in google, then you get pictures related to space maps :lmao:

Apparently it can cause crashes too.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  2. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I found that memsaver worked pretty well when I had a weaker system so it probably could work to help diminish MAFs later on in the game. Means you can't exit the program without it crashing though so going on windowed mode to enable getting in and out of the game at will would likely fail.

3. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

I did that since forever - there were no problems with it when I tabbed out in windowed mode.
    I was just thinking if it wasn't obsolete by changes in DLL.

By the way shouldn't be this turned on in A New Dawn global defines? (its in same folder as regular global defines).
    Code:
    <Define>
            <!-- Set to non-0 value to enable dynamic activation of unit graphics entities (reduced memory usage and growth) -->
            <DefineName>ENABLE_DYNAMIC_UNIT_ENTITIES</DefineName>
            <iDefineIntVal>0</iDefineIntVal>
        </Define>

4. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Those ini options only act on the EXE rather than the DLL if I'm not mistaken.

The dynamic unit entities are probably referring to the graphic objects attached to units by promotions or by tech achievement along with other prerequisites.

5. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

I looked at code and it looks it works on units themselves somehow.

It was set to 0 since it was added.

6. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

It was added, iirc, long before C2C. I'm not sure quite what it's intent is.

7. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

Nope, it was added in SVN 2440 by koshilng, but it never was turned on.
    Its intent is to save some memory.

Blame tool shows, that no one touched it later.
    That is no one knows about existence about this global, and its inactive since it was added.

8. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

OK, well, @Koshling would know whether and when to use it then. I've seen terminology similar to that in use around the stuff that deals with units and mapping matters.

9. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

There are two other INI (vanilla) settings, that are useful for reducing memory load too:

Code:
    ; Set to 1 to page units out when non-visible
    DynamicUnitPaging = 1

; Set to 1 to page unit anims out when the unit is non visible
    DynamicAnimPaging = 1

10. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Yeah, Koshling probably set it to 0 for a reason.
    Either because setting it to 1 is unstable (buggy code), or because he made an improved alternative code and added that global so that one can easily switch back to unimproved original code.
    There could be another explanation, but I won't guess more than needed.

If Koshling added the define and set it to 0 then we shouldn't mess with it without knowing exactly what it does, Koshling is perhaps the most talented coder C2C have ever had the pleasure of knowing.

KaTiON_PT and raxo2222 like this.
  11. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

He was here in February last time, and he completely ignored this mod except for multiplayer games, that were abandoned some time ago.
    Maybe @alberts2 or @AIAndy can tell what it does in code.

12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

It was part of his project. Why are you so interested in it?

13. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

Well it claims, that it can save memory.
    I don't like stuff that lies in mod for 10 years unused.

14. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

You forgot to add updated source files in that commit :p
    Just DLL was updated - on next compile this fix will be reverted :lol:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  15. Niveras

Niveras Prince

Idle question: why is it Pyramids require sculptures (that is, the resource), but the Sphinx does not? I would have thought it'd be the opposite, given the Sphinx is a giant sculpture itself. Does it have to do with carving techniques used in creating the Pyramids' blocks? An abstraction of what was stored in the Pyramids? Just an arbitrary gameplay decision?

16. VCrakeV

VCrakeV Prince

I know the V 38.5 guide states that their are too many complicated factors involved in crime and disease to consider when playing, but I often find these values keep going up even as I make measures to lower them. I'm not looking for specific details, just the general factors (e.g the higher factor x, the higher crime is; the lower factor y, the higher disease).

Also, I've noticed that after building a wonder (I forget the name) that provides -100 disease/turn, the city was at -100/turn, then quickly dropped to -80/turn the next turn, eventually reaching zero. Does the rate of disease (and crime, I guess) increase/decrease with respect to the current number for disease? Like, should I worry about, say, +2 disease/turn if I'm at -300 disease?

17. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

Looks like its random inconsistency.

18. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

Properties decay towards 0, so they can't increase/decrease without limit.
    So if property at lets say 1000 decays at 4% per turn, then it will decrease by 40 on next turn, if all inputs and outputs are at equilibrium.
    Higher decay rates for pollution, crime and disease would make them more manageable.
    For education its ambivalent - on positive side its bad and on negative side its good.
    Higher decay rate would be bad for tourism.

19. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

You have a cushion to work with for awhile.
    But as your Pop grows so does the amount/rate of increasing (+) Disease value. The Number of diseases in your empire is an accumulation of +Disease values. As you let it grow (become more Positive) then the next disease will kick in when it's entry point is achieved. I does not go away until the Level is decreased below it's entry point value. If you let Disease go unchecked and allow all Diseases to enter into your empire then the accumulated effects of ALL diseases will basically shut your empire down. There is a Thread on Diseases that I posted that has a chart I made on what happens to :food::hammers::gold::yuck::) etc. Diseases is a shorter list than Crimes. 16 Diseases vs 80+ Individual Crimes.

And the formula is not quite as simple as raxxo made it out to be either. He just gave a brief over view.

raxo2222 likes this.
  20. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Specifically designed that way. There was much discussion on it at the time. If you look closely you will see that The Spinx gets a boost to building from having sculptures.

I can't remember exactly why but I think it was done that way to allow you to build them in the correct historical time period. BtW the way I test a mod is to try and build both by the correct date. If there is no way to then the mod fails.:lol: