Caveman 2 Cosmos

@billw2015

The repo should be hosted on a team account not a personal account, just like it is now on sourceforge. I created a Organisaton for C2C at github years ago.
https://github.com/C2C-CivIV-Mod
But github wants money for everything a free Organisation can only have one owner. At least a few core members should be owners like it is in sourceforge now.

Last edited:
@billw2015

The repo should be hosted on a team account not a personal account, just like it is now on sourceforge. I created a Organisaton for C2C at github years ago.
https://github.com/C2C-CivIV-Mod
But github wants money for everything a free Organisation can only have one owner. At least a few core members should be owners like it is in sourceforge now.

Sorry not really sure what you are saying.

On sourceforge C2C is hosted as Project with multiple owners. A community project like this cannot be hosted on a personal account without other team members having full access.
If you have some other github account you want me to push this to then I am happy to do it. As far as I am aware anyone can fork any public repository without restrictions, and by design it is impossible for an owner of a public repository to interfere with the forks if that is what you are worried about. But to reiterate (or clarify as I am evolving my plans as I go!) I'm not suggesting to move this project to git, I'm putting it on git for myself and anyone who is interested, back propagating any changes that also would benefit the svn repo. If you want me to make it more official from the start I don't mind, but you need to say what it is you want me to do!

/edit After looking I think they might have changed it, they did remove a lot of restrictions for public repositories and open source projects in the last year or so. It appears that open source organizations have full set of features of the first tier including unlimited collaborators and owners. I can't see anywhere that it says these are limited on GitHub Team for Open Source. Perhaps check again on your organization if you can set people to owners as per this.

Last edited:
If you want me to make it more official from the start I don't mind, but you need to say what it is you want me to do!
I was under the impression the plan was to switch C2C completely to git if that's not the case forget all a said.
ALSO: @All: BillW has been setting up a git repository for us all so we'll probably be changing to that soon after release

I was under the impression the plan was to switch C2C completely to git if that's not the case forget all a said.
Well its up to Thunderbird in the end I guess if that happens, it wasn't my motivation, I just suggested he and anyone else can look at it after I put it up and make up their mind if it seems better or not.
Regarding github Organisations, I just checked (made a free test org) and I could add multiple owners. If you want the first c2c github repo initially hosted in your c2c org then I can push my local instance directly there if you add me (billw2012). Otherwise if later on you want to switch to git you can fork what I did, or use it as a copy for a new repo and hopefully it will be ready do go.

There should be installation settings in Dropbox from taking over all folder icons.
Or maybe there is some guide on to have Dropbox and Tortoise without conflicts.
I had heard there was a guide out there but after an hour or two of searching for it and failing I gave up. Thanks for the link. Now I just gotta figure out how to manipulate the registry...
but TB dropped spoilers!
My bad... I did want to hear the feedback that you weren't going to get on Discord though.
One reason i stopped thinking about moving to git was that nobody here really knows anything about git or things like appveyor.
Yes, we are backwoods bumpkins when it comes to this sort of thing - though we could all do to be a little stretched to learn about it now and then if it can be easily explained.
That's a nice offer but for a free mod it would be best to stay on free hosting and not
depend on someone to pay or personaly provide hosting.
I agree, particularly if we are unable to even establish anything like a Patreon to ask for support on the project.
The modding hobby can be an obsessive monster sometimes
My God, you're telling me... tru'er words ne'er been spoken.

I won't address the issues you replied to unless you specifically want to hear my thoughts on them, because probably I would be telling you things you already know and have considered.
He might've but not all of us have, so just keep in mind some of us could benefit from hearing your thoughts on that.
I WAS really hoping to draw you out for this conversation when I mentioned that because I knew you had looked into things a lot with this. Never having used Git, I don't really get the pros and cons of moving over and I thought you might be able to share your full insights on this matter with someone who seems to know more about it and is pushing to use it. It would seem bad practice, regardless, to be trying to somehow manage both, even on a personal end, for how much time and effort would that require and for what? This is a situation where until I could see the features in action, I really have no way to judge this exactly.

@ the team: I may have to split this into two uploads - the final 7z is larger than what ModDB wants to allow in a mod update. Soooo.... I'm thinking of dividing out the FPKs all into their own zipped file and just requiring both uploads to play (I'm trying one last thing before I have to resort to this sort of deal)

How does everyone feel about that?

@ the team: I may have to split this into two uploads - the final 7z is larger than what ModDB wants to allow in a mod update. Soooo.... I'm thinking of dividing out the FPKs all into their own zipped file and just requiring both uploads to play (I'm trying one last thing before I have to resort to this sort of deal)

Well now mod is bit smaller compared to V38.5 - only 1.6 GB. It was fine without partitioning it - a lot of unnecessary files were thrown out in mean time.
Looks like you took whole repository that takes 3.4 GB, at least for me.

Did moddb suddenly reduce max file size?
You can export mod and zip it.

Last edited:

Do an SVN export to an empty folder, delete source folder (Edit: Not something we usually do apparently). Set 7z to Ultra compression level and the zip file should be about 695 MB.

I just did what I said, so the number is accurate.

Try uploading to Google Drive or MEGA and then link it to ModDB, that way you are allowed 4GBs. But yeah what raxo said, how come it's so large?

Do an SVN export to an empty folder, delete source folder. Set 7z to Ultra compression level and the zip file should be about 695 MB.
No need to delete source folder - it always came with it.

Try uploading to Google Drive or MEGA and then link it to ModDB, that way you are allowed 4GBs. But yeah what raxo said, how come it's so large?
He probably zipped entire "live" thing instead of exporting it so tortoise stuff was here too.

Set 7z to Ultra compression level
I didn't realize I had the .svn folder in there taking up as much space as it is because well... it's hidden

That alone makes a huge difference.

However...

How do you set 7z's compression level?

Every little bit would help.

btw, I did get rid of the source folder, debug dll and pdb. No need for that in a version release and if someone wants the code they should be able to get it from the SVN download. I want this thing as small a download as it can be.

How do you set 7z's compression level?
Untitled-2.jpg & Untitled-1.jpg

Should explain any problem away for you.

Last edited:
View attachment 530181 & View attachment 530180

Should explain any problem away for you.
Been discussing this with Kation and Anq on discord and I had no idea there was even a more manual compression option - I've never used anything but the "add to xfoldernamebeingthesameastheoneyou'rezipping" option so didn't even know that was available. lol. Still seems to come up ith 703,795KB even after deleting the .svn folder in there and using ultra compression. What might I be including that shouldn't be? I don't have the source folder in there either, nor the debug dll or the pdb

Been discussing this with Kation and Anq on discord and I had no idea there was even a more manual compression option - I've never used anything but the "add to xfoldernamebeingthesameastheoneyou'rezipping" option so didn't even know that was available. lol. Still seems to come up ith 703,795KB even after deleting the .svn folder in there and using ultra compression. What might I be including that shouldn't be? I don't have the source folder in there either, nor the debug dll or the pdb
Now Moddb should let you upload that - V38.5 takes 701 MB of space here.
Size: 701.43mb (735,504,196 bytes)

Yeah, I was just worried that I did something wrong still since Toffer's is so much smaller still. Oh well... I'm out of time to worry more about this due to some things I have to do now. I'm starting this upload now and will have to announce it's completion in a few hours.

Yeah, I was just worried that I did something wrong still since Toffer's is so much smaller still. Oh well... I'm out of time to worry more about this due to some things I have to do now. I'm starting this upload now and will have to announce it's completion in a few hours.
I deleted the source folder... Oh I selected "Omit Externals" for the SVN export... nothing else.
Did you use LZMA or LZMA2 compression method?

Edit: {
If you right click the zip and select properties you'll see a different size than what windows explorer says.

I tried again, this time I didn't delete source folder and I didn't select the "omit externals" (don't know if that does anything to be honest.).
in windows file explorer it said 705 MB.
In properties it said "Size On Disk: 688 MB"
}

Top Bottom