1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Caveman 2 Cosmos

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by strategyonly, Aug 25, 2008.

1. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

I have pushed these changes to Git. Hope I did it right! Arena pop requirement now at 3 instead of 6.

EDIT: Construction was wrong tech for introducing Arena. Now placed at Masonry in Ancient era which is a better placement. Fighting Pit in Preh Era, Arena in Ancient, and Coloseum in Classical. Better line of progression for this Building chain.

BUT... I really don't like Arena going Obsolete with Colosseum. They co-existed for a long time and should show that in C2C.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  2. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

If you accept this then yes. But...there are sources that show other languages with an "alphabet" too before the Greeks. Western civilization adopted "Alphabet" as the "standard" form of such groups of characters that make up the base sounds of the language in question.

Yeah less work.

3. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Yeah that's the part I'm unsure of. Phoenecian was one of the roots that turned into Greek and I think you can trace the evolution back to cuneiform in Sumeria and see each step as a rather minor change from the previous one. I'm not sure where the modern researchers are saying that the invention, rather than the current manifestation, of the alphabet actually began though, nor would I know when that would be dated exactly.

4. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

The oldest know phonetic alphabet is from around 2000-1800 BC, called Proto-Sinaitic\Canaanite script, and was based on Egyptian hieroglyphs.
    The Phoenician alphabet was based on it, and appeared around 1200-1100 BC.
    Pretty much every western and middle eastern alphabets developed from the Phoenician alphabet, e.g. greek, latin, cyrillic, arabic, hebrew, etc.

There are east Asian alphabets that did not develop from the above, Man'yōgana is a possible root for most of the east Asian alphabets, based on Chinese characters. and appeared around 300-500 AD.

5. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

So would that put our tech roughly in the right zone on the tech tree or is it way off based on that?

6. Esfera

Esfera Warlord

7. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

No, those deal with player gold.
    But culture overflow is next I guess.

8. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

I noticed something yesterday that I need to document with screen shots. The perceived problem is when you now place a city on Research. The Research bar does not react now. Not like it used to do. Before If I placed my Capitol or oldest cities on Lesser Research or Research you could see the bar advance. Now it does not.

Like I said I will get screenshots to show what I'm talking about.

9. MattCA

MattCA Prince

10. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

I'll have the research bar refresh whenever the top of the work queue changes.
    In PPIO I made the city screen faster by removing the huge amount of unnecessary UI refreshing, but this particular case isn't unnecessary.
    Thanks for pointing it out.

MattCA likes this.
  11. ariquelex

ariquelex Chieftain

Hi all! It's been a while since the last time I played this amazing mod and I've seen that there are tons of new content. I see that the last update is from February so I would like to know if there are plans for a new release in the foreseeable future so I can know whether try the current version or wait for the next one.

Thanks for the amazing work guys!

12. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

Latest stable version while is very good, its saves won't work on next release.
    So if you want latest stuff and no broken saves for next year or two, try SVN: https://github.com/caveman2cosmos/Caveman2Cosmos/wiki/Using-SVN

ariquelex likes this.
  13. ariquelex

ariquelex Chieftain

14. Robespier

Robespier Chieftain

Hello all.
    I have been playing in c2c for 2 weeks already. But today morning when I ran c2c and load my save I saw that I have no interface in the game. It looks like I press Alt-i. Also setting window does not oppen. Nothing happens when settings button press.

I have "Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete" located on j:\games
    I have reinstalled the game, also I have checked out the latest version of c2c from https://svn.code.sf.net/p/caveman2cosmos/code/trunk (mod location: "J:\games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos\")
    Original game works fine.

There is an error in PythonErr2.log:
    _core import failed
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<string>", line 1, in ?
    File "<string>", line 52, in load_module
    File "CvEventInterface", line 24, in ?
    File "CvEventInterface", line 19, in getEventManager
    File "BugEventManager", line 97, in ?
    File "CvEventManager", line 12, in ?
    File "CvScreensInterface", line 8, in ?
    File "CvMainInterface", line 7, in ?
    File "HandleInputUtil", line 2, in ?
    File "InputData", line 1, in ?
    ImportError: No module named _core

could someone help me to resolve this issue?

PS: Also who knows where Civ4 stores state of environment? I mean "show grid" feature and the same.

15. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

@Robespier this means game lost access to its user settings files.
    Rightclick on user settings folder in caveman2cosmos, and click on properties and uncheck "read only"
    Also you must run game as admin.

16. Robespier

Robespier Chieftain

It does not help. :(
    Also there is no user settings folder in caveman2cosmos folder.
    upload_2020-9-12_15-43-19.png

Also the folder in user profile "C:\Users\<User>\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\" I have deleted several times and it recreates again and again.

17. Robespier

Robespier Chieftain

I played yesterday, and everithing was fine. I have closed application by Alt+F4 saved the game previously. After this I turned off the computer. Today morning I ran 2 games for couple of time after that I started C2C.bat as usual and got this problem.
    I'm trying to say that only one way how I could broke the game was yesterday evening, when I was closing the game. Is it possible that I pressed some buttons ocasionally, before pressed Alt+F4, and turned on some feature which prevent game works fine?

I still can not finde a place where Civ4 stores turned on features. As example the feature "Show grid" (Ctrl+g) is turned off by default but I always play in Civ4 with this feature. And now I see this feature is on, despite I deleted settings in user profile, reinstall the game and mod.
    I want to clean this place and hope it could helps. But I still dont know where it is.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  18. raxo2222

raxo2222 Time Traveller

I guess you didn't read, that you need to run game as admin.

19. Robespier

Robespier Chieftain

I have read and ran as admin, but all the same.

20. Robespier

Robespier Chieftain

I created a new user in the system and logged in. It helps me to find additional store where the game store some data. It is C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\My Games\Beyond the Sword\
    But when I logged in system as my primary user and tryed to run the game all works fine. The issue is obsolete now.

:) I think it is the best suggestion for every cases: