1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Caveman 2 Cosmos

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by strategyonly, Aug 25, 2008.

1. garfunkel

garfunkel Chieftain

Bug report:

Stories - Bugs cannot be built by Subdued Desert Tarantula but can be built by Subdued Jungle Tarantula. This seems like an oversight instead of deliberate design choice and it should probably be buildable by both types. Subdued bugs are so rare, to begin with.

Oh this is latest SVN - 11223

2. Blazenclaw

Blazenclaw eccentric eclectic

garfunkel likes this.
  3. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Thank you!

4. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Was that sincere or sarcastic?
    I guess I'm asking if you were planning to use that tag.
    It haven't ever been used in C2C afaik, was probably active in AND as it was an afforess mechanic and had an xml on/off switch in A_New_Dawn_GlobalDefines.xml.

5. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Sincere. :) I'm not happy with how long Anarchy can get. Have not been since whomever upped the length. Think it was done back when SO was working on the Civics. Before I started on them in earnest.

Toffer90 and MattCA like this.
  6. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

To add to this it is my wish/desire that all Anarchy from Civics in the Preh Era be eliminated altogether. No matter the GS played. And even Civic anarchy in Ancient should be minimal. Again imhpo that is. And is not related to History, but rather to C2C game play continuity.

PS I have pushed to Git a set of Government Civic changes. Would like to see them pushed to SVN soon please.

MattCA and Blazenclaw like this.
  7. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I'd dislike that because then you take away all strategic value in timing your earliest golden ages. Then the only point to those earliest GAs would be maybe timing it so you can grow more effectively. To me, the goal is to get as many civic changes in as possible in those limited periods, which causes you to want to save up changes for a bit til you can blast them all at once when you complete the fire wonder.

irishhombre and cobbaut like this.
  8. tmv

tmv Emperor

At least in the long run, I think GAs should mean a bit more than Anarchy Elimination. There are long periods within the game where you can go without civic changes at all (depending on playstyle), and GAs in those times shouldn't be meaningless.

9. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

1. Question: Can the AI do this with their GPs?
    2. Personal Playstyle preference
    3. Anarchy should Only occur by Gov't Civics changes. Adding it to other Civic Categories was an overreach to start with. And made worse by C2C's longer Game Speeds than vanilla BtS.

10. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

SVN 11225
    Immediately noticed this upon updating current test game. AI much more willing to trade to player too! :thumbsup: In fact was approached by 3 of the 6 AI at game resumption. :goodjob:

MattCA likes this.
  11. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

They do need to be taught how to do this more effectively though I think there may be SOME programming for that.

Game play preference that I'd prefer was something that stays in play. It's not about playstyle, what I or anyone else puts as a priority - it's about "are you clever enough to use this as powerfully as you can?" - that's a game challenge. And the cool thing about it being a game challenge is that it's one that even though you may KNOW you need to try to do this as smart as you can, the many different ways the game may develop out may present you with this not being an easy mark to hit with any kind of perfection, even if you plan it well, so it represents a neverending challenge to optimize the use of this as much as you can. It's basically un-masterable and you're always GOING to do it in a slightly flawed way every time. Even just waiting on changing the civic may be a worse decision that just taking the hit as soon as you can. Wherever the decision is NOT easy and straightforward, you have the gameplay that makes for a great game.

I can see an argument for that. I would certainly agree that some categories should not cause any and some should cause a little while government civics should cause the most since it's the most fundamental changes that represent an actual shutdown of government for a time. The rest, if kept to a small amount, just represent the havoc in restructuring legal codes and the major distraction to industry it can be and so on. I do get that the revolutionary and recreation of the state period of a major government style change seems to be the main thing anarchy is modelled on - but then consider that a change in state religion also brings about some so it's not really supposed to be ALL it's modelling fully but also the difficulty in just getting operations back to a sense of normal. I could see some different degrees of anarchy being introduced in a future project so that it isn't overly applied to represent things not as directly modelled by it - kinda like how we want to add other disaster events so that not all disasters are modelled after a nuclear meltdown.

12. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

The amount of gold they are willing to trade is the same regardless of if the other trade participant is human or AI, though they do demand more for less from a human player than if they were trading with another AI; at least on higher than noble difficulty.

e.g. Now Mansa Musa has a personality that allows him to spend 50% (others as low as 20%) of his gold reserve in trade (if his financial situation is in order).
    Before my change Mansa Musa was only willing to spend 5 990 of his 800 000 gold reserve in trade, techs at this point were worth around 17 000 gold, so he would never have enough gold to really trade many techs.
    After my change he was suddenly willing to trade a whooping 400 000 of his 800 000 gold reserve in trade, now he could go quite crazy on trading techs with other AI's. making it harder for you to keep up with the ridiculously wealthy emperor difficulty AI's..
    (Not 100% sure if you were playing emperor difficulty, some days since I checked it now)

13. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Yes this test game is on Emperor Diff. And to see their Gold available in the Diplomacy screen in the 100-600K vs my 96K means I have to work harder, better, and faster now. Plus I just got DoW'd by Gilgamesh a few turns back. Lucky for me he has to use Fluyts for transports (with Galleass and Caravels as support ships) because he is on another continent. He has the biggest army/navy and sits in #1 spot. But,,, the amount of units he can land is limited. I just got Hand cannon and ancient flamethrower units. So his handful of Clockwork golems and repeating crossbows I can handle with a manageable rate of loss. My Deceres in groups of 3 can take out a fluyt or 2 and the occasional Galleass or Caravel. But I have to build a steady stream of them to keep the invasion forces whittled down somewhat.

Plus I'm in a serious Culture "war" with Sennacherib over border tiles. He took my iron mine tile and I've had to crank up the Culture to try to get it back. So double actions going on plus money management for upgrading units and increasing maint. costs. Which in turn has slowed by Tech rate down. Taking up to 5-6 turns to research a tech when it should be 2-3.

I did just get my army up to Gilgamesh's army size. But I'm still at number 4 on the List, Gilgamesh at 2607 and I'm at 1347. :p Mansa and Itzacotl sit at #2 and 3.

14. solops

solops Warlord

Once again, wonderful mod. Better than ever, much better (40.1). It has taken over my life (again).

15. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

@Thunderbrd , @Toffer90 , @raxo2222 ,@MattCA , etc.,

Where is the value for % of Culture found for flipping a City in the xml? Example if I have surrounded an AI city with my culture and my culture in that city is 80% vs 19% for the AI that owns the city, at what % of my culture should I see this city flip?

Also is there a limit to how many times you can use spies to "Add Culture" to a foreign city?

16. Blazenclaw

If I'm reading CvPlot::doCulture right, it's not a culture threshold directly. Instead, each turn that the plurality culture is someone on a different team than the owner, there's a 10% chance (defined by REVOLT_TEST_PROB in GlobalDefines) to test for city revolt. Whether or not a city actually revolts is given by a second roll against CvCity::cultureStrength, which I believe Matt was looking at recently. Once a city has passed this second check, it'll see if the city has revolted at least (1) time before, as defined by NUM_WARNING_REVOLTS. If it has revolted that many times before it'll flip, else it'll be a regular cultural revolt.

If you want to make cities flip faster, those are probably your best handles; setting test prob to 100 would make flipping happen 10x faster, and warning revolts 0 make it ~2x faster, but you'd still have to have plurality culture for it to begin, and probability rising as your relative strength increases.

No clue about spies, but I don't see why not, unless you run out of espionage points to spend? Not entirely sure how that system works, tbh.

Edit: It looks like cultural revolt protection (from the entertainer line, etc) seems to additively reduce the chance of cultural revolt. In this way, if you have a sum of 100 cultural revolt protection across a number of units, the city will never revolt from low culture? I might be wrong on that, but if not, should probably be changed to a multiplicative comparison e.g. 100 protection -> 1/2 chance, 200 -> 1/3, etc.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  17. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

@Blazenclaw ,
    This game is with Revolutions Off from Game set up Options. And City flipping from Culture should be On.

I'll post a screen shot. And if you need it a savegame.

18. Blazenclaw

Err, revolt in this context doesn't mean the revolution option. You may not have noticed it unless it happens to you, but when a city is being lost from culture it'll 'revolt' for a few turns (fist icon like occupation, damages units on trigger) at some point before actually flipping, which is what this 'revolt' bit is referring to. I've never actually played with Revolutions, so can only assume it uses a different mechanic.

19. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

I know this. Was just stating I don't use the Revolutions' game set up Option. (Don't like it. I have actually had discussions with the author of Revolutions years ago. Told him why I do not like it or ever wanted to use it again. He did not care much for me afterwards.)

Blazenclaw likes this.
  20. Publicola

Publicola Prince

Is there a list anywhere of all of the music in the C2C soundtrack and where it comes from?

I know that the 'Prehistoric' folder includes music from Jim Gordon (from album 'Bless This Land With Rain') along with a track from Gex: Enter the Gecko ('Prehistoric Channel'), but there are a lot of tracks in a lot of folders that are basically unlabelled. Right now I'm enjoying some of the music from the 'Transhuman' era folder, and besides the track titles themselves ("Assembly", "Daisuke", "Ghostdive", etc.) there's no information about where they come from.

EDIT: found a soundtrack list for the first three eras at least; my thanks to @Praetyre. No clue about the later eras though.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    dmd175 likes this.