Caveman 2 Cosmos

Haven't yet continued as I've been busy lately. But expect for the prehistoric era to be done until next sunday.
I noticed typo in Paragraph tag in Gathering tech description, so you should revise your entries.

I could use some help with crashes if someone is willing. I've played C2C for a few years now, and have always had trouble with crashing. I recently got a new laptop so I figured that it would be more stable since I upgraded from a 2G to 8G video card. However, it is still crashing. About half the time it is just a C2D without an error, and the other half it is a failure to allocate memory error. I am now playing through steam (had the disk version before), and I believe that the errors have to do with my settings or options. I'm not sure where to get the log files from, so if you need those I can provide them, but I need the location. None of the ones I've found after a brief search seem to contain any pertinent info. I'd really appreciate any help, I'd like to be able to go more than ten turns without a crash if possible.

I could use some help with crashes if someone is willing. I've played C2C for a few years now, and have always had trouble with crashing. I recently got a new laptop so I figured that it would be more stable since I upgraded from a 2G to 8G video card. However, it is still crashing. About half the time it is just a C2D without an error, and the other half it is a failure to allocate memory error. I am now playing through steam (had the disk version before), and I believe that the errors have to do with my settings or options. I'm not sure where to get the log files from, so if you need those I can provide them, but I need the location. None of the ones I've found after a brief search seem to contain any pertinent info. I'd really appreciate any help, I'd like to be able to go more than ten turns without a crash if possible.
Reduce your graphics settings.
You should have 8 GB of RAM for game and Windows to always have comfortable amount of free memory - Civilization 4 is 14 years old game, mod itself has around 10 years.
1 GB of Video RAM is enough, but 8 GB of VRAM is useful for modern games.

Don't play on bigger than Huge map (Gigantic spacemaps are fine), and don't play with more than 10 AIs.
Revolutions, barbarian civs and other such options, that makes new AIs emerge are taxing for memory.
There is switch in vanilla BTS INI, that helps to save memory:

; Allows some memory savings *** ALT-TAB WILL NO LONGER FUNCTION ***
MemSaver = 1

You want to have windowed mode though.
; Specify whether to play in fullscreen mode 0/1/ask
FullScreen = 0

I was afraid of that. That's insane though! 16 GB RAM and 8 GB VRAM and still not enough memory to play a gigantic map with Revs and a bunch of civs? I started the Fixed_GEM_Modified scenario, which has a Giant or Gigantic map, and a bunch of civs at the very beginning. I knew the mod made it bigger and heavier, but good grief. There's got to be a memory leak somewhere. I'll try the same game with reduced settings I guess and just see how it goes. Thanks for the info! :)

Would you mind sending me the location of the .ini? I've got it installed through steam and can't seem to find the correct one. Although, the memsaver and fullscreen settings should be in-game modifiable, correct?

I was afraid of that. That's insane though! 16 GB RAM and 8 GB VRAM and still not enough memory to play a gigantic map with Revs and a bunch of civs? I started the Fixed_GEM_Modified scenario, which has a Giant or Gigantic map, and a bunch of civs at the very beginning. I knew the mod made it bigger and heavier, but good grief. There's got to be a memory leak somewhere. I'll try the same game with reduced settings I guess and just see how it goes. Thanks for the info! :)

Would you mind sending me the location of the .ini? I've got it installed through steam and can't seem to find the correct one. Although, the memsaver and fullscreen settings should be in-game modifiable, correct?
Have you tried viewports? It's in BUG options on the first page, it requires restarting the game though.

I was afraid of that. That's insane though! 16 GB RAM and 8 GB VRAM and still not enough memory to play a gigantic map with Revs and a bunch of civs? I started the Fixed_GEM_Modified scenario, which has a Giant or Gigantic map, and a bunch of civs at the very beginning.

Only true C2C heroes can play that map after reaching classical era XD.
A shame really, because it is an awesome earth map for civ play.

Shortcut to ini is in same place as BTS EXE and Mods folder, where you put this mod.

I guess Giant+ maps (space maps are exception - Their active area is limited until nanotech era and slowly expands in later eras) are incompatible with game engine, that can use 2.9 GB of ram max.

Last edited:
I just noticed that the police precinct needs personal electronics to build it, but the building that gives personal electronics is obsoleted with no replacement later on so u end up with no ability to build the upgraded law enforcement units, if im missing something let me know.

I just noticed that the police precinct needs personal electronics to build it, but the building that gives personal electronics is obsoleted with no replacement later on so u end up with no ability to build the upgraded law enforcement units, if im missing something let me know.
Electronics Manufacturing District produce Personal Electronics and it doesn't obsolete.

Removed ForceObsoletion tech from Guide.
Upgrade to Guide (Explorer at Road Building) is much later than ForceObsolete tech (Writing), later explorers doesn't have forceobsolete tag.
Removing the ForceObsolete tag on units can cause problems in games which don't have the Unlimited National Units option on. Starting with it causing too many units to appear in the city build screen. It should have been changed to Road Building. For exploration units, scouts and hunters, this is a valid approach mostly. It would be even better if we could remove any building requirement for such units.

The building requirement on merchant units is a problem and why their ForceObsolete tags are set so strangely. Something I have been exploiting in my latest game plays.

Removing the ForceObsolete tag on units can cause problems in games which don't have the Unlimited National Units option on. Starting with it causing too many units to appear in the city build screen. It should have been changed to Road Building. For exploration units, scouts and hunters, this is a valid approach.
I think explorers doesn't have national limits.

This unit was last in line to have such tag.

I think explorers doesn't have national limits.

This unit was last in line to have such tag.
The tag is only meaningful for National Units. It should not be on any other units but I think TB uses it on the Law and Health Care units.

It is a pity we don't have a limit per city for some units.

edit indeed recon units don't have the limit so none of them should need the tag.

The tag is only meaningful for National Units. It should not be on any other units but I think TB uses it on the Law and Health Care units.

It is a pity we don't have a limit per city for some units.
TB removed this tag on Law and Health Care units.
Also A LOT of non national unis have this tag.

Not sure why it only really makes sense for National Units. They are what it was designed for.
I guess if you disable "Hide Obsolete Units" BUG option, then you can see all earlier units, that have better replacement too.
That is even if X is replaced by Y is replaced by Z, then you can still build X and Y units as long as their requirements are still met.

With Toffer's interface overhaul you could see this very easily - unconstructable stuff is separated from constructable stuff.

I guess if you disable "Hide Obsolete Units" BUG option, then you can see all earlier units, that have better replacement too.
That is even if X is replaced by Y is replaced by Z, then you can still build X and Y units as long as their requirements are still met.

With Toffer's interface overhaul you could see this very easily - unconstructable stuff is separated from constructable stuff.
I don't understand this insistence on not allowing people to build obsolete units. Why shouldn't they. There are many cases in history where obsolete units win because of numbers.

Top Bottom