CC1 SG: Emperor of the Ancient World

Guess this one got lost in the shuffle, as I didn't realize I was up on this one. Unfortunately, my SG's will have to wait until tomorrow (I'm up in three right now) because I'm a little behind on real life affairs (yeah, like those matter :rolleyes: ), so don't expect a summary until then.

Schnarrd, I know you've got a lot of stuff on your plate in RL. I can't get to this game until tomorrow at earliest, so if you reassert having it before then, I'll wait till you've got it completed.

If you've already played some, could you just post what you have?

Really sorry, Carbon! Last week was one of the worst I've had in a while. Not only did the work continue to pile up, but on Friday I came down with one of the worst colds imaginable. On top of that, I had an incredible case of larangytus. The day before Easter I had to be hospitalized because I couldn't get anything down my throat - it was too swollen. I'm back home now with the day off and I'm feeling somewhat better, but still pretty lousy. However, since I can at least get on the computer, I might as well play some civ. I'll get this one posted today.

Again, very sorry.

Here's the save. Will post a turn summary later (got to go to a doctor's appointment right now).

Wow, it must have been really bad. I hope you're feeling better, and I'm glad you got your turn in, because I've had very little time to play this one the last couple days.

And in unrelated news, got it.

In election year, all of Egypt came down with sinus infections. Enter Schnirrk, whose head was large and pus-filled, whose nose incessently dribbled a constant stream of phlegm, and who could not speak because his throat was swollen to the size of a tree-trunk (historians should note that the game Charades was invented by Schnirrk specifically so that he could communicate with his fellow Egyptians). Schnirrk, seeing a perfect campaign opportunity, ran on the slogan "I feel your pain" and was elected unanimously to the position of Prime Minister of Egypt.

As soon as Schnirrk ascended to the office of the Prime Minister, he took stock of the situation in Egypt. He was appalled that Egypt still merited a "weak" rating as compared to other countries. Schnirrk wanted to see the lands of the other countries to determine just what made them so superior to Egypt. However, Schnirrk saw that Egypt did not possess an updated world map! One is immediately purchased from Rome for 59 gold plus 10 per turn.

Schnirrk was also disturbed by the lack of improvements to Egyptian land despite the industrious nature of Egyptian workers. To this effect, a bill is passed stating that further arrests by the fashion police should be drafted into forced labor for the common good of Egypt.

Finally, Schnirrk was equally disturbed by the slow growth of the Egyptian population. Contraceptives were immediately banned and state-subsidized, uh, "massage parlors" were established throughout Egypt (many cities are constructing granaries). This last move, although exceedingly popular with the male segment of Egypt, outraged many feminists in Egypt, and Schnirrk was promptly impeached.

Miscellaneous notes:

Am I the only person here who builds granaries? There was only one in all of our cities, and that was the one I built in the capital.

Our workforce is still pretty small, despite my efforts to increase its size, for although I said that we need workers, we still also need settlers, infrastructure, granaries, and military. :) However, I'd recommend pumping out workers continuously for a while, since all of our territory is so unimproved. Any cities far away from the capital could probably build workers after they finish their temples, since these cities will be corrupt and workers only require a few shields to build.

Lots of wonders are getting caught in the cascade. So many, in fact, that I stopped paying attention. Unfortunately, we're not likely to get any wonders up to the industrial age.

Sorry if this report is less detailed than usual, but I played my turns a while ago and I can't quite remember everything that happened during those turns.

Some of the city placements were pretty weedy. :smoke: I don't claim to be Sirianesque in my city placement, but the overlap in these cities was pretty bad and the city placement left lots of territory near the capital unexploited. Most of the cities I couldn't do anything about, but in Epheseus and Mycenae rush settlers and move. Normally I wouldn't do this, but

1. Both cities were recently founded
2. Both cities are in the jungle, so they are more of "works in progress" than anything else.

Mycenae is already moved, and as soon as Epheseus gains a population point, I would rush its settler and move it further north to take advantage of the unexploited territory near the capital (possibly one square north and one northeast). All of the territory near the capital should be exploited because of the corruption benefits cities near the capital receive.

Here's a screen of our current situation:

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 149
Boy, Schnirrk, you had an awful lot of effect on two countries -- leading Greece and elected by the Egyptians. Passing edicts that get enacted in Greek lands but cause attitude changes in far-away Egypt.

I am also confused why those industrious Egyptian workers would encourage your Greeks to work harder or faster. And purchasing a map for Egypt. I know Cleo is cute, but I thought Alex had different tastes than that. Now, if it were Caesar.... That would be another story.

Quite possibly I'm being even more of a smart-@$$ than usual (and that's saying something), but I found the mistake rather humorous, for some reason.

Arathorn

P.S. Boy am I glad I never do that! ("What, never? Well, hardly ever." - RMS Pinafore) [And actually, I do it a lot. Sigh.]

Well with all that severe laryngitis, you can't blame him for misspeaking. Hey at least he picked a strong civ to mistakenly lay claim to leading! Just imagine if he had thought he was the Roman leader, with what appears to be just one city left! :lol:

Believe me, this had nothing to do with the laryngitis. Let's just call it a belated April Fool's joke and leave it at that. ;)

We've still got our work cut out for us, folks. Here's the situation:

Founded one or two more cities. I actually used that settler pair to found a city close to the capital, and moved Epheseus one square south and one southwest, instead of north/northwest. It overlaps a bit with marathon, but Marathon will never be big enough to cause problems with it.

I bought Banking, Gunpowder, and Astronomy from the Romans, spending a total of 21 gpt across 2 deals. This is a terriffic bargain, as Rome has maybe about 5 turns to live, so we'll probably only spend between 200 to 300 in actual gold to get these techs.

I established embassies in Germany and Persia, but was too poor after tech dealing to make one in Babylon.

We have two sources of saltpeter, one by Delphi, and the second one under Herakleia. However, it doesn't look like Greece gets to upgrade Hoplites to Muskets, so we'll have to build all new units by ourselves.

With all the surplus food that it runs, Sparta should do nothing for the forseeable future except churn out workers and settlers, now that its granary is in place.

I changed the colosseum in Athens to a cathedral, but we should be able to switch back without wasting more than a turn's worth of shields if that was what we REALLY wanted to build there.

I built a caravel or two for exploration. We should use the caravel being built in Corinth to pick up and transport the settler being built in Sparta across the strait to get some spices online.

Germany nabbed both the Colossus and Copernicus, everyone is building Sistine except for us and Rome (who is down to a single size 1 town. If anyone discovers more tech before Rome is destroyed, buy it from them using gpt if you can).

There is still lots of expansion to be done, and it appears that there is at least one more landmass that nobody has colonized yet.

We still want our Forbidden Palace to go in Knossos, as soon as it finishes the courthouse, have it build the FP.

However, it doesn't look like Greece gets to upgrade Hoplites to Muskets, so we'll have to build all new units by ourselves.

????

I've played as the Greeks before and I was able to upgrade to muskets. Maybe you just didn't have enough money at the time. Either that, or you were trying to upgrade in a city without a barracks (in most of our SG's we've had Sun Tzu, so that would be an understandable mistake).

Here's the roster:

CC
Shadowlord >>> Up
Hammurabi II >> On Deck
Axid
Schnarrd

I'm using the Feb. 14th version of the patch (with the goodie hut armies) rather than the Feb. 15th. If that's not the reason why, then maybe I just didn't have enough in the kitty to upgrade them at the time.

Oh, btw, I meant south-southEAST instead of south-southWEST for Ephesius's new location, but that doesn't really matter much.

Inherited: Trade out our world map for a few gold. Tried to upgrade a hoplite, since I have the Feb 15th patch, and it wouldn't let me, I think they go to riflemen and skip musketmen.
Hoplite at Argos defeats an attacking barbarian horseman.

1) 560 Egyptians start Bach's.

2) 570 Music theory purchased from Rome for 3 gpt + WM. Hmmm, Athens would need 41 turns to complete Bach's, a bit too long.
Babylon and Germany start Bach's. Germany finishes the Sistine Chapel.

3) 580 Settler and Caravel are completed.
Egyptians start Bach's. Babylon starts Bach's. Persians start Bach's.

4) 590 Settler dropped off next to spices.

5) 600 Pergamon founded.
Egyptians complete Bach's Cathedral, ending the cascades.

6) 610

7) 620 Egyptians finish the great lighthouse.

8) 630

9) 640 The people give us our second palace expansion.

10) 650 It turns out the continent with the spices on it is rather large. I have a hoplite approaching the 2 goody huts I see there.

Attachments

• cc1.jpg
    cc1.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 142
There is a settler/hoplite group just outside Argos, I think we can get 3 cities in that area if we build one where the barbarian village is now. Rome still has 2 size 1 cities, even though they are still at war with 2 other civs.

Sorry, you'll have to skip me this time.:(

you'll have to skip me too. real life strikes again.:cry: :( sorry

EDIT________________________________________________
you'll probably have to skip me next time too. i just got a cortazone shot in my right wrist and it hurts like the devil and i won't be able to use the computer for a week. sorry

Unless you guys are willing to wait at least 24 hours if not more, skip me, too. If you are willing to wait, I do have the save. See my post in the "just win" thread for more specific details on my current situation.

I won't be able to play this till at least Friday, so if my turn comes up, just skip me.

Top Bottom