CDG Series Discussion Thread

I can do Carthage as #40 if Beetle does the #39 and resolve the Dutch issue later.

Basically just a bump & an advertisement for Egypt (/TheDutch)

#39 India.. .... ....... Beetle
#40 Carthage. .........Gren

which only leaves the other Rammy without love though William is single again

The Dutch
Egypt
Morocco.............(Gren , unless someone else wants it)

My apologies for being tardy with India. I got distracted by GOTM and other deity games being shared.

No worries - the bump was mainly in hope of getting peeps to claim the leftover duo, not so much to trigger the release of India. I assumed you'll do it in proper time without kicking & screaming. Also, I should get the finished Carthage map back any day now so it'll be ready soon enough after the India game. It'll after all the hassle be a std size TI with few extra CSs as with that I had more luck with the original roll.

From a more personal pov I surely am not short of finished games and as I got hooked on the TD stuff again I checked the latest CDG games I haven't even started and I'll do the Mayan CDG 22 as a TD next. Technically the #23 was the latest I haven't touched but it was some sort of Halloween Special so I skipped it for this purpose.

I was considering trying to do Egypt. But they confuse me. Their uniques seem to contradict each other, or at least go in different directions. The UA seems good for Tall, especially Tall CV but on Deity that will be extremely difficult. The UB is good for Wide. The UU was voted the worst UU in the game in the elimination thread. I did look up some guides and this is basically what they said too. So I guess the beauty of Egypt is that its versatile?

I did roll a few maps and am playing one now that is fun. Not sure if it is what others would like though. Its a Sandstorm with custom AI picked because they had some relationship with Egypt, either geographically or throughout history. But what would people expect from an Egypt game?

A willing host, mostly. Details can be sorted out when someone has volunteered for the task.

Achis are cool and welcomed but not mandatory at this point and the map should give some opportunities to use UU, UB, UA or be otherwise interesting. That'd be a decent starting point. Even better if there's a sort of coherent theme but basically the host can create the game to his/her liking.

What comes to Egypt I think that reasonable(+) chance for religion and dirt good enough to utilize the UA but I haven't given it much of a thought yet. I wouldn't mind the good use of UU either.

Last edited:
After going through all 43 civs, are you planning on doing a new round? If that is the case, may I jump in and contribute?
Btw. I think William is one of the most difficult leaders to get a start that fits desired requirements, at least with unmodded rolls. I mean, you would like to have marsh, but not too much to cripple you early, and to get that as well as a coastal start... never happened to me.

I was considering trying to do Egypt. But they confuse me.
Less confusing than Sweden, but less interesting too!
Their uniques seem to contradict each other, or at least go in different directions.
But the uniques are all weak, so it hardly matters.
So I guess the beauty of Egypt is that its versatile?
LOL
Its a Sandstorm with custom AI picked because they had some relationship with Egypt, either geographically or throughout history. But what would people expect from an Egypt game?
That sounds great, that is the best that I would expect. Also, throw in some achievements for spamming the UU.

After going through all 43 civs, are you planning on doing a new round?
I cannot quite imagine that.
If that is the case, may I jump in and contribute?
You could do one of the few remaining civs.
I think William is one of the most difficult leaders to get a start that fits desired requirements, at least with unmodded rolls. I mean, you would like to have marsh, but not too much to cripple you early, and to get that as well as a coastal start... never happened to me.
Agreed on all points.

As long as there're players to write recaps why not - I for one would be up for shared maps as my solo plays are almost non-existent these days.

Getting a good map just by rolling takes luck or time or more likely both but the addon which gives one 4-5 out of 8 starting spots to choose from helps quite alot. I never remember the name of it so I'll to add it here later or more likely Browd will provide the info within 15 seconds. Someting like Rotate Starting Position.

This one http://www.picknmixmods.com/mods/CivV/Maps/Rotate Start Position.html

Also, there are no limitations of using IGE to cook the map. At least the blocking ice should be removed in my opinion as it has potential of screwing otherwise a good map. Using IGE obviously has the downside of knowing the map to much further degree unless the editing process can be outsourced like I have (mostly) done but that is not too bad occasionally as long as we have multiple hosts in rotation.

---
I cannot quite imagine that.

Pump up you imagination ;)

I actually can but in a way that is slightly diminished in terms of achis etc. Basically a shared map with a preferred VC and single side objective for example.

Last edited:
Getting a good map just by rolling takes luck or time or more likely both...
Even both together are hardly ever enough. CS will be in stupid places and too much locking up of the map with ice.
...but the addon which gives one 4-5 out of 8 starting spots to choose from helps quite alot... This one www.picknmixmods.com/mods/CivV/Maps/Rotate Start Position.html
That is very helpful! But you have to check where the AI land, as their starting bias can be lost.
See this post where @whoward69 tells how to edit the script to see all eight starting positions!
Towards the end, change the Initialise function to just
Code:
function Initialise()
  _, _, swapablePlayers, _, _, _ = GetPlayerAndTeamInfo()
end
Using IGE obviously has the downside of knowing the map to much further degree…
Yeah, I can either have a good map for sharing, or be surprised.
…unless the editing process can be outsourced like I have (mostly) done…
Please tell us more about this! Spouse? Children? Something like Fiverr? Indentured servant?

Oh goodie - I need to use that for rolls and it sort of sucks to know the map, even roughly, in advance but it's still much better to know every forth map in advance than not to have a single map to play.

A friend of of mine who used to play the game. With good mix of flattery, bribery & extortion he'll do the final touches like positioning of luxes, resources & CSs after I've done the rough parts, mostly adding islands and expanding/reshaping the continents to also give him guidelines to I wanted to achieve in any given map. I think that at least in the Genghis CDG the main civs had also switched places.

While doing the raw version of Dido map I got to liking the process so I may do the Morocco version all by myself to see how that works.

Ok, I'll do the Egypt map. I've played a little more and even I almost took a capital with the UU so I know it's possible.

As for the future, we could start with Modded civs! I've been playing around with some and a lot of them are quite good and fun. We wouldn't want to include all mod civs but there are some recommended sets. Like Tpangolin's recommend mods. I started playing with those because I watched the battle royal with like 43 civs on a true start location earth map. Or there's the colonialist legacy one. I think it would be great fun and wouldn't require mods except for the actual civs.

So, it looks like this now.

#39 India.. .... .........Beetle
#40 Carthage. ........Gren
#41 Egypt................Raider

and the final stretch

The Dutch
Morocco.............(Gren , unless someone else wants it)

I got the Morocco map ready as well so

#39 India.. .... .........Beetle
#40 Carthage. ........Gren
#42 Morocco...........Gren

which leaves

The Dutch

as a final.

Plan B (not from outer space) as I got a bit bored ;) so Carthage is now playable as CDG #39 and rest looks like this

#40 India.. .... .........Beetle
#42 Morocco...........Gren

which still leaves

The Dutch

as a final.

I'm not going to be able to complete the Egypt map, or even play Civ until I get Win 10, which may not be soon. Steam finally updated itself so it doesn't work with Vista any longer.

Unless someone has an old backup of the "steamui.dll" file, that seems to be what's causing it to not even open. I've read you can replace the new one with an old one and then set Steam to not update. But I don't want to get it off some dodgy website.

Sorry if I'm stepping on toes again but I got bored once more and started rolling the Dutch maps so I posted the Morocco map which I've been sitting on for a while now as #40 so the end is in sight with

#41 India.. .... .........Beetle

Egypt
The Dutch........(Gren) still open if someone else wants it or I can switch to Egypt at will just to get the last ones out before the summer.

Top Bottom