1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CDG Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Blatc, Jan 4, 2016.

1. beetle

beetle Deity

I have finished play testing my Siam map. It is okay, but the resource shortfall effects were not as noticeable as I was hoping for. Should be a pretty straightforward Diplomatic game; since (1) we have not had one of those in quite a while, and (2) that VC provides decent synergy with the UA. Absent a better offer in the next 48 hours, I plan to post it Friday night or Saturday morning. Achievements will borrow from my Babylon CDG map, plus points for resurrecting AI civs and spamming the UU.

I am going to try setting up India for a CV again. Small Continents Plus, and nothing but Warmongers.

EDIT: CDG37 is posted.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  2. beetle

beetle Deity

The very next map I rolled was okay! I will post it Friday or Saturday, unless we hear from @Grendeldef or @consentient.

3. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

I have the Genghis map ready but I need few moments to sort out the achis which will be a bit different than before. I can post it as #38 or at some point in the future.

4. beetle

beetle Deity

Please do that!

5. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

I'll wait for a week before posting it to give some time for the Japan & Siam games as I for one haven't finished either of them yet.

---
    More precisely the target date is Friday the 1st.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  6. beetle

beetle Deity

I know it is a bit rushed for many people, but my strong preference would be to drop one game a week at this point. I am one of those furloughed federal workers with too much idle time at the moment…

7. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

Do you still want it asap? :)

8. beetle

beetle Deity

Nah, I am good now. Trump signed a funding bill. :)

9. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

The thread for CDG #38 is open and the it'll playable within hours. Achis are there so suggestions/complaints can be made to have them tuned before anyone can start playing.

The next one will be

#39 The Dutch .......... Consentient

and the rest with a couple not yet called for so last chances especially for those not being Beetle/Consentient/Gren to take one and present a game which gives something we might've neglected or at least is something out of your preferences.

Carthage . . Grendeldef, will be friendly towards the UA
    Egypt
    India . . . . . . Beetle, CV friendly (but not having much luck rolling a map)
    Morocco

and with current rate of new games presented the series will be over during the next partial US governmental shut down and if that continues a bit I assume Beetle will start a new series for everyone to enjoy.

-----edit----

The CDG #38 is open for business in 3 forms one being truly an entry level Deity offering.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  10. consentient

consentient Domination!

I lost my hard drive....so the Dutch map I spent a lot of time on has gone.

Given this, what do people want from the replacement?

11. beetle

beetle Deity

Sorry about your disk, I imagine the Dutch map was about the least of your losses.
    I want a coastal start with lots of Marsh and/or flood plains. I hardly ever take cities with Privateers, but I think the Sea Beggar (because of logistics) might be what I need. Also, as much as people like farms, I think the UI is OP, but people hardly talk about that. Actually, I would love the whole map to be marshy. Stupid AI builds nothing but Trading Posts on Marsh, and does not even dry them up for the +1 food.

12. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

I'd expect it to be a non-pangaea map but that's just about. I hope it won't be tiny island and if there'll be achis some based on trading would be cool, prefarably some good use for the UU and UI. The Dutch is so good that one could really get away with weird stuff which would also go nicely with the modern day perception of the Dutch.

13. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

Come to think of it I could do Morocco and fiddle with trading achis of some sort. I also have a vague vision of the map & other general stuff but if anyone else wants it feel free - I can pass it with ease.

So, now it looks like this

#39 The Dutch .......... Consentient

Carthage . . Grendeldef, will be friendly towards the UA
    Egypt
    India . . . . . . Beetle, CV friendly (but not having much luck rolling a map)
    Morocco (Gren , unless someone else wants it)

14. beetle

beetle Deity

India correction, I have a Bollywood friendly map ready to post whenever.

15. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

Make that #40 then or #39 if Consentient needs more time. I'll do Dido after those two.

So something like this now...

#39 (/#40) The Dutch .......... Consentient
    #40 (/#39) India.. .... ....... Beetle
    #41 Carthage. ......... Gren

which only leaves the other Rammy without love.

Egypt

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  16. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

I started again rolling for Dido base maps but before going further lets have a quick poll of whether people are willing to play a Large map ?

The map will be heavily edited anyway and the changes are roughly

a) everyone will start on the same continent which will be very crowded - player will not be likely in position to settle more than 2 cities there nor will be there much iron,horses or luxes
    b) by sailing there'll be access to several large habitable islands which will be much richer in terms of iron/horses, few new luxes and a chance of NWs
    c) 2nd continent requiring Navigation will be large & rich in resources like Iron & Horses, all Coal, Oil, Aluminium & Uranium will be here, plenty of luxes and most of NWs will be here as well - basically offering solid places to settle even if the late settling is crappy in general.

The heated internal discussion between me & myself whether CSs should a) follow these resource distribution rules, b) have everything in random manner or c) not have resources (much) at all is inclining towards option c.

So will you prefer

1) std 8/16 with possibly few extra CSs
    2) Large 10/20 with more room to fiddle with stuff - most likely options are high sea lvl to reduce the total land and extra CSs to fill the land. The relative land mass difference will be smaller than on normal settings.

------------------

#39 (/#40) The Dutch .......... Consentient
    #40 (/#39) India.. .... ....... Beetle
    #41 Carthage. ......... Gren

which only leaves the other Rammy without love.

Egypt

17. beetle

beetle Deity

Sure. Just seems like more work for you though. Considering your ambitions, I would encourage you to stick to a standard size map.

I think you should lean towards less work. The CS normally will have a monopoly on one lux or another, and that seems to work out. That said, I think I would stiff the CS on starting continent of most of their resources, just to reinforce the theme. The CS having a single horse or iron or coal resource still gives them options without making them too attractive a take-over target.

18. Grendeldef

Grendeldef Trancerelic

Hmm, single unit resources might be the way to go here - not a game changer unless one allies with them all but something to get starting and meet the resource hook up quests. The starting continent will still be free of late resources. The amount of work isn't that much an issue - as usual I'll outsource the loot distribution part and creating few islands & removing resources doesn't take that long. Rolling a suitable base map so that I don't have to start from scratch is oddly more demanding and boring.

19. consentient

consentient Domination!

I'm real sorry but I've been so sorry I've not even had time for my brain to remember about this game, let alone to try and replace the lost Dutch map. Maybe I can join in on the next round :)

20. beetle

beetle Deity

NP @consentient as you have shared more than your fair share of maps! Would you be okay with trying to replace the lost Dutch map if we give you four or six weeks?