Champions League 2006/2007

I am a little surprised that all 4 English teams made it to the 2nd round. But then it seems that all the really big money goes to the EPL these days.
Right here in Singapore just about everyone who is interested in soccer, follows it. Great marketing really.

Let's see whether Spain and Italy (+ France) can fight back in the next stage

Didn't all 4 English teams win their groups as well? :confused:

Maybe people follow English football in Singapore because of past colonial ties. Spain, Italy and Germany all have financially healthy leagues/teams/transfer markets.

Or maybe it is another anti english post from ThETroll. :mischief:

Maybe people follow English football in Singapore because of past colonial ties. Spain, Italy and Germany all have financially healthy leagues/teams/transfer markets.

Or maybe it is another anti english post from ThETroll.

Well, personally I follow EPL as well and really enjoy it. Fact is that e.g German soccer is nowhere near the EPL in my mind. EPL is fast and exciting. Why should that be anti english? (maybe the fact that there are a lot of foreigners in the EPL)

I was just surprised because I did not think Arsenal or Liverpool would win their groups, they have been quite erratic in the EPL. Man U is clearly on a great run at the moment

I am a little surprised that all 4 English teams made it to the 2nd round.

But you were not suprised all 3 Spanish and Italian teams also qualified? :confused:

Given the fact that Man Utd nearly always get to the knockout phase, Chelsea have progressed to the semi finals for the last 2 years (only losing to the eventual winners), Liverpool were Champions 2 years ago and Arsenal were runners-up last year, I would have been suprised if any of the English teams did not progress.

But then it seems that all the really big money goes to the EPL these days.
I am not so sure about this as AC Milan, Inter, Barca, Real Madrid and Bayern all have impessive sponsors, attendances and players that teams like Liverpool can not possible compete with atm. Remember, just over 2 years ago Liverpool's Michael Owen was lured away to Real Madrid (and Steve McManaman a few years before that...on a free transfer).

well, usually 1/4 teams would screw up, like Man U last year. Anyway, it doesn't matter that much, it was only a casual remark. Don't read too much in to that.

I am really enjoying the EPL as I think it has the most attractive soccer. Sometimes I do watch Spanish or Italian soccer; I prefer the English style with less playacting (unfortunately some of the imports trying to cultivate that as well, players like Robben, Drogba, Ronaldo, Diouff etc).

I had hoped for the UCL to have more surprises... I do hope that Lyon will finally kick butt...or Barca (which I find the most attractive team outside of EPL)

It would have been Milan AC and AEK Athens then, not Anderlecht. Sorry if I'm mistaken...

But Anderlecht would have qualified to UEFA Cup.
Sorry, I should have been more clear with my remark.

Like MCdread said, if AC Milan would have beaten Lille, Anderlecht would have qualified for the UEFA cup. Anderlecht drew against AEK because of goal in the final minutes, but it was already clear that they wouldn't advance to the UEFA cup seeing that Lille was 2 goals ahead against Milan.
So, it was a very frustrating match to watch: Anderlecht was leading 2-0 but in the corner of the screen I saw AC Milan - Lille 0-2 :(

Sh...! :wallbash: We got precisely the one team to avoid in the draw... Oh well.

Porto v Chelsea
Celtic v Milan
PSV v Arsenal
Lille v Manchester United
Roma v Lyon
Barcelona v Liverpool
Real Madrid v Bayern
Inter v Valencia

I think this draw is fantastic...

Porto - Chelsea, hoping Porto can kick out their former coach
Madrid - Munich (2 teams I can't stand, means 1 less of them in the quarter finals)
Barca - Liverpool a nice pair too

and the French teams can show whether they are really up to it, though I think ManU will kick out Lille easily

Looking at the matches, I have a slight hope, we would end up without any italian team in the next round :mischief:

LoL! You consider Lille an easy opponent? Lille is the only club that can really challenge Lyon for the title in France!.
You mean that being twenty points down is a challenge. :p

BTW, Yes I am exaggerating things a bit.

EDIT. Actually that is not too far from the truth. :D

Top Bottom