Character Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah.... We HAVE to change the death thing. 3 chats should be enough. About 10 days I believe.

It is rather annoying that more than half of the characters died within two chats. This needs to be slowed down.

Also remember that Shaitan did play 13 turns, and nearly went the full 20. Also, the normal lifespan in industrial ages is about 60-80.

At best (a tech every 4 turns - almost like in DG1), that's 15-20 techs - about one full era. Quite realistic. Looking at the civ3 industrial age and comparing it to real life, we get:

Industrialization - 1880s
Motorized Transport - 1940s

That's 60 years. It's quite possible for someone to have been born at the start (Nationalism - 1850s/1860s) and died at the end of the Industrial era (late 1940s/early 1950s). Although it's rare.

With a 1/2 year per turn, it turns into 120-160 turns - or about 30-40 techs. That's then entire Industrial, Modern and parts of the late middle ages.

You also have to remember that in the very ancient era, people were exposed to the elements a lot more than us, not to mention in lots of wars.

Heat, cold, wars, famines.

Living conditions weren't prime for commoners. Upper class didn't have such a violent lifestyle (though were still at risk from invading armies or raids). However, we could experiment with the 1/2 year rule in the ancient age only. But, remember, once we get granaries, the average lifespan WILL jump to 30-40. I think having 1/2 of your cities with granaries garuntees a 40 year lifespan.

I am confused about whether my character, Cuchulain, is alive or dead. He apparently died during one 'event', but then he got sick in the next one.

one request:
could we have a tc'ly excel spreadsheet with all the characters and all info we need about them? (player, parents, children for example if not items they own)

and one proposal:
afaik, if we create children we have limited influence on the stats, which is good.
but i think that random stats should also be applied to all created characters on top of the set stats (a random variation of +-10% for example). or maybe only the traits should be decided by the player and they give the random distribution for the stats.
(each trait could raise the propability for specific stats to be higher than normal and decreases the propability for other stats)

also, the final stats for a character should be kept SECRET by the character manager. nobody should know the exact stats of his character... we got to learn them during roleplay... like in rl.
the only thing the cm should post when a character is created is some vague pointing to the characters "highlights", like "a new baby anthony nobody is born. it seem this baby is very powerful" which would mean his top stat is strength.
this could apply to any new character, but should definitely be applied to "children" of characters.

with the tech of genetics, thos mysteries of the character stats could be lifted and the detailed stats posted.

ct: i would like to see an excel spreadsheet with the characters and their ages as well as their players on top of this thread after each TC :) that would be really nice to not loose the overview...

AND A HINT:
our character naming is completely out of scope for the romans :)
here are some links to determine how characters were named in reality:
http://www.legionxxiv.org/
http://romanhistorybooksandmore.freeservers.com/l_rrr.htm

but there are many more.
the primary thing there is that roman names consisted of 3 parts:
the first part was inherited from the father (the first part of the fathers name)
the second the family name (so also inherited from the father)
the thrid was a kind of descriptive name or calling name

so Julius, Gaius Maximus
would have inherited Julius, Gaius from his father and Maximus would escribe him, for example "the big one"
if he was a she, the -us would have been replaced by -a or -ia
so she would have been called:
Julia, Gaius Maximus

For the details and examples see the above 2 links and many more on the internet.

Maybe we could start to enforce authentic character naming.
We could bind the freedom to decide the name with some tech, like democracy.

ah and one other thing:
slaves had only one name. this was given them by their "owner". if freed, they would adopt the first 2 name parts of their owner as their full name.
a slave "hannibal" of our Julius, Gaius Maximus would have called himself Julius, Gaius Hannibal after he was freed.

naming of women was even stranger, but read it yourself :)

I am wondering about the random events as we have had an overwhelming amount of bad and neutral events, but only one good event. Also, I find it weird that two out of the three chcaracters killed off by the tornado were mine.

suggestion: I suggest that for simplicity there should be only one family per player... The player cannot start another family before he looses controll over his family or they die out...

...or he gives them up and converts them to NPC-players controlled by the game management.
also there should be no unroleplayed transfer of any ownership or title between families of the same player...

I totally and completely disagree. No character should have a family. Have CHARACTERS! Not Cardboardicus Cutoutia the Seventh. Create characters to make stories. Have different players with characters in the same families. Have characters that aren't in any family. Myself, I can't tell any of the current crop from one another. None of them have any interesting characteristics or anything that would make me sympathetic to them or interested in knowing anything about them. None of them do anything except make babies and try to get land. It's too boring to bother even trying to keep up with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom