China - Qin Shi Huang Thread

I think the general idea is you use it in strategic points where it will boost the defensiveness of select tiles with your units stationed on them. The idea would be preventing the enemy having any kind of movement, penaltied or otherwise, on them at all.

The impression i get with the new barbarian system and changes to 1UPT is that combat actually may be slightly more of a feature in Civ 6 than in BNW, so tiles like the great wall may be a genuinely useful functional bonus. Preventing the pillaging of districts is a big plus to this UI.

I like the crouching tiger cannon! I googled it and it looks like it's mentioned in a number of Stephen Turnbull's books. In his Siege Weapons of the Far East (2): AD 960–1644 book, Turnbull remarks that the cannon dated from the beginning of the Ming Dynasty (1368) and was still being used against the Japanese in Korea in 1592. The cannon was "fitted with a curious loose metal collar with two legs so that it needed no external carriage for laying."

I'm biased to favor it because I'm fascinated by the Imjin Wars (in which the Crouching Tiger cannon saw use against Japanese samurai invading Korea).

Also, it's not chu ko nu, thankfully. That unit has gotten olddd.

I do hope Qin Shi Huangdi will be suitably aggressive. In real history he wasn't exactly defensive--though I suppose they might make him so under the general theory that after uniting China he focused less on expansion and more on stability.

Yeah, I'd expect the wall to at least slow down enemy invaders, have it cost a full turn's movement to get to the tile the wall is on or something. A bit disappointed if that isn't the case, but maybe the defensive bonuses will still make it worthwhile.

Building the wall bit by bit with huge numbers of workers sounds very tedious.

No different than building a road as we used to do. Has it come down to this? :sad:

Note: I don't mind builders but if building a wall is too much work...

No different than building a road as we used to do. Has it come down to this? :sad:

Note: I don't mind builders but if building a wall is too much work...

You're building the great wall of china. Can't expect to build it in a day. :)

I suspected that my first game would be as Qin, and so far this video confirms it. Also, his leader screen is glorious. :D Can we just celebrate that one leader in the game does not have a dark red background? :D

Sounds a bit ridiculous tbh, unless there's more to that statement than is being let on i.e. it actually "blocks" units rather than "slowing" them?

If it's anything like it's historical purpose it should at least block Mounted Units.

Maybe it can only be pillaged or breached by Artillery? We know from previous videos that Bombers can now destroy tile improvements.

The impression i get with the new barbarian system and changes to 1UPT is that combat actually may be slightly more of a feature in Civ 6 than in BNW, so tiles like the great wall may be a genuinely useful functional bonus. Preventing the pillaging of districts is a big plus to this UI.

That sounds a bit powerful however. High production civs can merely set up a military district a few tiles away and wreak havoc.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 246
He looks like a big, fat, decedent bloated toad. Which is excellent as I shall look forward to taking him down as Mongolia. :D (If they are in, of course. :))

Wasn't part of the benefit of the GW that it acted like a road for troops to move along it as well? So the whole wall wasn't garrisoned but defenders could react quickly to threats. Would make for a nice extra bonus..:think:

Wasn't part of the benefit of the GW that it acted like a road for troops to move along it as well? So the whole wall wasn't garrisoned but defenders could react quickly to threats. Would make for a nice extra bonus..:think:

Was thinking about it as well. What if they acted as roads for your units? Could be a nice idea for community mod (and potentially OP)

^^^nice idea

The design on his clothes is great but he doesn't look very Asian I think, they should make him more like this
Not too fond of name "Dynastic Cycle" for Eureka Bonus, they should rename it "Self-Cultivation" which is a important principle in Chinese philosophy.

It's disappointing that the Great Wall appears to occupy entire tiles, rather than the border between tiles. I realize it provides gold, but that seems like an huge opportunity cost.

That was my initial thought. As others pointed out placing them strategically rather than building a giant circular wall still makes it pretty useful. Be interesting to see how much it makes sense to dismantle some of it as the modern era approaches.

I could imagine that the GW is like a river (if I am correct) as you have to end a move before it, and can pass the GW the next turn and move only to the other side of it...

...and what if only man units can pass it who can climb... no horse...
I'm completely baffled if crossing the wall doesn't at least take a turn, like a river. That's a golden opportunity for some very unique gameplay right there for the taking, I can't believe they just passed that up. Also I agree, having the wall on the verges between hexes rather than occupying an actual hex would have been so much cooler. :cry:

It's disappointing that the Great Wall appears to occupy entire tiles, rather than the border between tiles. I realize it provides gold, but that seems like an huge opportunity cost.

I actually really, really like this development.

Beach has gone everywhere and said he wants to encourage thinking in every playthrough, rather than automatic decisions.

If the Great Wall were like a River, it'd be automatic. You'd play, build an extra 2 builiders, set your wall, and get back to your empire. Zero thought. But now? You have to think. Do I build a frontier city quickly just to have a nice wall around it? Do I need the gold of a wall, badly? If I build a wall do I encourage or disourage my AI neighbors? Some may view it with aggression, some may be inspired.

Either way, it has potential tree-making decisions all over the place. This is their stated aim with Civ VI. This is why they're sacrificing graphics.

Obviously, we wait to play, but I'm excited by this sort of thinking. China's builders will be constantly updating/tearing down, etc. But it will require thought to maximize it.

Top Bottom