1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Chopping

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Rhaeghar, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Civman123

Civman123 Warlord

I normally chop forests for workers, settlers and early wonders. While it is true that math increases the hammer output, classical era wonders cost more. So the snowball effect of getting workers and settlers sooner normally are better than waiting for math.

2. slobberinbear

slobberinbear Ursine Skald

At higher difficulty levels, you need some method of burst production, either from chopping or whipping or both. Chopping is a necessity if you don't whip. Like whipping, it is best done for expensive and/or growth-stopping items like workers, settlers, and wonders -- although it is a great way to build an army as well.

I generally chop everything but non-riverside plains forest, unless I have a ton of early health problems (i.e., lots of floodplains).

3. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

I don't think it matters. If a road is left on a pre-chopped tile, then depending on how your road network is, the worker can leave, do another task, and go back on the road and finish the chop in one turn without further delay.

4. slobberinbear

slobberinbear Ursine Skald

Pre-chopping is great while you are waiting for some other event before unleashing your production boost. Typically, the wait is for technology or for the city to grow to a certain point.

Be careful when doing this for military units; you can end up with some excess overflow (that gets converted to gold) if you overdo it. This happened to me recently when chopping out a chariot army.

5. Scoottr

Scoottr Prince

I take it Lumbermills are a complete waste of time to everyone then?

Used to be a mod that allowed you to replant forests, took a long time to grow, but you could do it....thinking it was Sevo mod.

6. Wodan

Wodan Deity

I generally leave at least 2 forests in each city for health and hammers both. If two cities overlap, leaving a forest that they can share is ideal. In those forests, lumbermills are a given.

7. civzombie

civzombie Prince

"I generally leave at least 2 forests in each city for health and hammers both. If two cities overlap, leaving a forest that they can share is ideal. In those forests, lumbermills are a given. "

Never considered that before, thanks for the tip Wodan

8. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

I use lumbermills sometimes, but I like chopping better, since lumbermills require Replaceable Parts, while chopping requires Bronze Working.

Sometimes I leave 2 non-riverside plains forest tiles in my Iron Works city and put lumbermills over them.

9. civzombie

civzombie Prince

overall, i haven't really left any forests around.

Sometimes i keep them initially, thinking they'll do more good saving them for lumbermills, but then something comes up where less hammers today are more valuable than more hammers tomorrow. So they get chopped. I don't think I've had any actually survive all the way until replacable parts.

I possible exception is a decent forested island discovered late in the game.

10. mi6agent

mi6agent Warlord

play high level and you shall learn that you want to chop every forest at first sight :D

11. Afro Dictator

Afro Dictator Chieftain

i tend not to chop more then 3 in any cities BFC unless its a wealth or science city

ima a lumber mill whore :D especially if the cities is coastal with 2 special food resources

but u only recently moved to prince so thats prob gonna change as i get pwned :(

12. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

Yeah, I get into the bad habit of just incessantly chopping and not realizing the health side effect. :(

13. Afro Dictator

Afro Dictator Chieftain

cities can share tiles how does this work?

14. mi6agent

mi6agent Warlord

go to city screen. Press on the shared tile if you want to work that tile with that city. similary go to other city and press on the tile again if you want this city to work this tile instead
    it also applies when you chopping. The hammer will go to the city currently occupy the forest

15. Th3 PuNiSh3R

Th3 PuNiSh3R Chieftain

Chop everything in site unless you are saving it for a near wonder or need the health. Earlier chops equate to an exponential long term advantage.

16. Wodan

Wodan Deity

And the health accrues to both cities regardless of which one is currently "owning" that tile.