Chronicles [modmod]

can i use the mod with rev 1054?
I haven't tried yet but I think you can. I keep an eye on the main mod's changelog and haven't seen anything that would brake anything. So please give it a try and let me know what you think. THX :)

i think it's not compatible anymore (1055). i've started a games and there were some pictures and descriptions missing. i've reset the whole new dawn to default state and reinstalled the mod (and megacivpack) and there was a bunch of errors when loading. tried fixing the installation, and the game wouldn't even start (civ4 process shows up for a moment in the task manager and then disappears). will try reseting and starting without chronicles now to see if it's really because of chronicles...

[edit] well, the game won't start now with or without any mods, so now i'm not sure what really causes the problem. it may be something is wrong with the "fix" in the and_checker option as it goes to 100% and stops at it forever, without showing any message...

i've reinstalled using using the installer from the rand webpage over the old installation and it still wouldn't run. i've deleted the whold rand folder and installed again, and still can't get it to run...

Last edited:
so... after 2 clean installs of the whole game, i give up. the base game works, rand won't work now, even if i try loading it up from bts, the game just crashes.

apparently there are some rand files somewhere which i cant get rid of which cause the mod not to work now.

Try cleaning out everything in Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS and see if that helps.

well, ok, i got new dawn to work... turns out my fresh installation of bts wasn't really patching to 3.19 and i had to patch to 3.17 first in order for the 3.19 patch to work... not sure if i should risk installing chronicles now :D

You can always make another copy of the AND mod in your mods folder and install Chronicles on that copy. I have separate copies of the mod for the current regular version, Chronicles, the Mega Civ Pack, and my working copy for upcoming changes. I need to update the middle two.

Well... Chronicles may be or may not be outdated... I'm not sure.
Right now I'm working on a BIG update with a lot of changes but have very
Spoiler :
limited
time :(

I have many ideas. One of these is to replace Banditry (Military) civic with Hunters.
I don't like the name an concept Banditry as a starting ancient civic. It has this medieval "Robin Hood" feeling.
Earliest tribal armies were rather composed of hunters.

What I would add to Banditry's effects are:
  • -50% military production
  • +100% faster training of Recon unit*

*this will essentially mean the new Hunter unit that will take the place of Scout. Scout, Explorer and Adventurer are all pushed to later techs.
Spoiler Recon units :

(NEW) Hunter:
strength 1 (+1 with Archery)
speed 1
can attack (unlike other recon units)
city attack -50%
+100% vs. Animals
upgrades to Scout OR Explorer

Scout:
moved to Athletics
cost up to 45
strenght up to 3

Explorer:
moved to Paper
cost up to 100
strenght up to 6

Adventurer:
moved to Colonialism
cost up to 16
strenght up to 10

I also want to add more animals from C2C. I feel hunting is a little light in AND2 right now.

imho, hunter should move faster, as scouts do, otherwise there will be very little point building them until archery. now, the early choice is between quicker exploration or stronger units, if hunter moves at the same speed as warrior does, and has the same strength vs animals as warrior does, but is weaker vs barbarians and other civs, then why should i build it?

imho, hunter should move faster, as scouts do, otherwise there will be very little point building them until archery. now, the early choice is between quicker exploration or stronger units, if hunter moves at the same speed as warrior does, and has the same strength vs animals as warrior does, but is weaker vs barbarians and other civs, then why should i build it?
The goal would be to slow down early exploration. I don't like it when you map out the whole world by the and of the classical era.
I wish I could merge Movement Limit mod into AND but I am a total noob for python :(
An other idea to slow down early exploration is the Dark stays Dark option/feature in an other mod (don't remember which one) where grey tiles become black when out of sight.

I understand your reasoning about the speed and partially agree. I'm still in the testing phase.
Maybe adding more animals... maybe if more animals are spawned around one's start location will help to keep him around starting city...

I'm open to all suggestions...

I'd like to rename Banditry too. I think of the starting military as more of a mob than anything else.

The Movement Limit mod shouldn't be too difficult to merge, although if we really wanted to include a feature like that, it might be better coded into the DLL. I could try and work on it.

I think of the starting military as more of a mob than anything else.
For me it's always North Korea.
The Movement Limit mod shouldn't be too difficult to merge, although if we really wanted to include a feature like that, it might be better coded into the DLL. I could try and work on it.
:woohoo:
Platy's ML has these features:
1) Increased with certain Techs
2) Increased with certain Promotions
3) Ignored with certain Era

It would be nice if it could be increased and/or ignored with certain Civics too.
In Chronicle the AI loves Exploration civic which isn't as useful as much the AI loves it. If it could affect movement limit that would be a great help.

I'm considering adding movement limits too, and also dark terrain. Optional of course. Movement limits should be coded in the dll, I agree with Vokarya. If you want Vokarya, I can do it. In the next days I should release an update with some fixes and some work to make pitboss work too. I can see if I can squeeze in movement limits too, it doesn't look too hard.

I'm considering adding movement limits too, and also dark terrain. Optional of course. Movement limits should be coded in the dll, I agree with Vokarya. If you want Vokarya, I can do it. In the next days I should release an update with some fixes and some work to make pitboss work too. I can see if I can squeeze in movement limits too, it doesn't look too hard.

I think we should give it a try and see what happens.

A couple things I would request: From reading the code, it looks like the original movement limit mod allows unlimited movement after the Medieval Era. That probably isn't significant enough. I could see the limit being extended but not completely removed until the Renaissance, or separate scaling for land/water units. And we should watch which techs give range bonuses: Hunting is probably not a good choice because it's too early, but Cartography and Colonialism would love an extra trick.

Also, if we could scale the movement limits for map size, that would be great, especially with AND having much bigger map sizes.

A couple things I would request: From reading the code, it looks like the original movement limit mod allows unlimited movement after the Medieval Era. That probably isn't significant enough. I could see the limit being extended but not completely removed until the Renaissance, or separate scaling for land/water units. And we should watch which techs give range bonuses: Hunting is probably not a good choice because it's too early, but Cartography and Colonialism would love an extra trick.

Also, if we could scale the movement limits for map size, that would be great, especially with AND having much bigger map sizes.

I totally agree and that was my plan too. Ok, once I've released my next revision I'll give it a try and see if I can write all the needed code.

or separate scaling for land/water units.
Do you mean water units should be able to go further than land units? Is that really a good idea? I mean what happens when you unload a unit to plot that it could not reach normally? It will be locked to that one tile probably unable to re-enter the transport ship?

Here's an other idea just for the sake of brainstorming: units COULD pass through the movement limit but take damage each turn.
10%/turn if 1 tile above the limit, 20% for 2 tiles and so on. I don't believe the AI would understand it so it's probably a bad idea but hey! It's just brainstorming :)

Ok, the code is mostly done and working, although I'm still checking details.
The formula goes like this: there's a base radius (for the moment it's set to 3, you can set it via xml). It's scaled for mapsize (+1 for mapsize, so it's +0 for Duel, +1 for Tiny, +2 for Small, +3 for Normal and so on). On a Normal map the starting radius is 6. Then it's scaled for Era, 6 is in Ancient Era on a Normal map. The radius is centered on the closest city of your civilization. But I still have some doubts on how to scale the radius for era; scaling should be done for Ancient, Classical and Medieval. When Renaissance begin, you should be able to roam freely. Additionally, you can freely roam inside other civs territory if you have Open Borders and you can always follow paths/roads even if the plots are outside your radius.
The problem I see with your proposal is that Cartography and especially Colonialism come very late. Colonialism is halfway through Renaissance when you're supposed to roam freely already. I could make it so that Cartography doubles the radius and Colonialism removes it completely. Also you could remove the radius completely when reaching industrial instead of renaissance.
So on a Normal map you would start with radius 6 on Ancient; for later Eras I'm experimenting with +3*Era radius, so it would be 6 on Ancient, 9 on Classical, 12 on Medieval. It could then become 24 when hitting Cartography and no movement limits when reaching Colonialism OR Industrial Era.
What do you think? Other suggestions?

Additionally, you can freely roam inside other civs territory if you have Open Borders and you can always follow paths/roads even if the plots are outside your radius.
:eek:Woah! Awsome! :thumbsup:

I think it would be better if you can change range bonuses via techs (in the xml) like
+1 from Hunting, The Wheel, Pottery, etc
+2 from Alphabet, Writing, etc
+5 from Compass and Cartography
and Colonialism finally negates it altogether

It would also be nice if promotions could increase the range too.

Ok, the code is mostly done and working, although I'm still checking details.
The formula goes like this: there's a base radius (for the moment it's set to 3, you can set it via xml). It's scaled for mapsize (+1 for mapsize, so it's +0 for Duel, +1 for Tiny, +2 for Small, +3 for Normal and so on). On a Normal map the starting radius is 6. Then it's scaled for Era, 6 is in Ancient Era on a Normal map. The radius is centered on the closest city of your civilization. But I still have some doubts on how to scale the radius for era; scaling should be done for Ancient, Classical and Medieval. When Renaissance begin, you should be able to roam freely. Additionally, you can freely roam inside other civs territory if you have Open Borders and you can always follow paths/roads even if the plots are outside your radius.
The problem I see with your proposal is that Cartography and especially Colonialism come very late. Colonialism is halfway through Renaissance when you're supposed to roam freely already. I could make it so that Cartography doubles the radius and Colonialism removes it completely. Also you could remove the radius completely when reaching industrial instead of renaissance.
So on a Normal map you would start with radius 6 on Ancient; for later Eras I'm experimenting with +3*Era radius, so it would be 6 on Ancient, 9 on Classical, 12 on Medieval. It could then become 24 when hitting Cartography and no movement limits when reaching Colonialism OR Industrial Era.
What do you think? Other suggestions?

I think at this point we need to start a new thread to discuss this, since it's going to be a main-game component and not a modmod addition. Can you compile the rules of movement limitation to start the thread?

Top Bottom