1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Cities in Development (Obsolete)

Cities in Development (Obsolete)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NN23

NN23 Warlord

i don't know if this has been discussed, but i noticed something wrong with the colonies. after i found a colony i couldn't purchase or invest in the buildings, only in wonders. And from the units i could only buy a pikeman. And the colony is in continuous research mode.

2. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Well, to me it looks like its just a UI error. Even though it says you have +1 from Buildings, you actually have +2 - 1 from the Palace and 1 from the Monument. +7 from Religion, that makes 9, and so -1 from Vandalism, that makes 8. This is not a problem in the vanilla UI, so down to EUI - and I'm done supporting EUI beyond the bare necessities. If it's easy, I'll fix it, but otherwise I really am not willing to put anymore effort into EUI, when bc1 continues to be so obstinate about compatibility.

Yup, it was brought up. I'm sitting on the update until the next CP update, which could be a while.

Speaking of Colonies, though, anyone have any Colony-based event ideas? They're really hard to think of - at least, without potentially overlapping with Tribes or Exploration.

3. DarthStarkiller

DarthStarkiller King

It was pretty common for people in the colonies to try to find a way of not paying wha they should, so there's that.

4. Buildkirbyus

Buildkirbyus Trainee Modder

Native attack?
    Famine due to inexperience?

5. Ixor_Drakar

Ixor_Drakar Warlord

Seems my post got lost.

6. mattygp90

mattygp90 Lord & Steward of Gondor

Oh great and powerful JFD, I'm having a huge issue! My game keeps crashing and it's making me sad! Specifically this is happening in my first turn, when I am choosing a production for my first founded city.

I have deleted my cache, I do not use EUI and I have not changed any user settings. My main issue is that I suffer from chronic n00bitis.

Could you cast an eye over these to see what you think?

View attachment Lua.txt

View attachment Database.txt

7. Glowstrontium

Glowstrontium Chieftain

Are you waiting for the next CP beta or main update? I have a city with -700 food lol.

Edit:

It also seems that buildings that carry a percentage of food over also do this when a city is losing food, causing a city with 1 population to become stuck with something like -600 per turn. I'm also unable to sell/delete buildings, clicking "yes" on the prompt does nothing.

8. Galaphile0125

Galaphile0125 Duke

Hey JFD could there possibly be a way to close your ports to international trade so that you can protect your cities against foreign plagues? It is really annoying to settle a city and then see it sit at one population for centuries because it is constantly running plagues that starve the city and keep it from growing and all because your neighbors decide to inundate the city in trade routes.

There needs to be a way to keep people from exporting smallpox blankets into my cities. I would love a way to ban international trade in my cities even before the world congress is founded. Ancient kingdoms could choose who to trade with all the time.

Is there anyway to go about this short of declaring war just to keep trade routes from coming to me?

9. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

As much as it would be an awesome idea to implement something like that which you're looking for, it's beyond my capabilities, as this would require DLL work. All you can do, really, is increase the Health of a city to prolong a Plague from striking. That said, you'll probably find things more reasonable in v38 - though please bear in mind that you should not be trying to completely prevent Plagues in the early game; that is against the intention.

Next Beta. I think it will not be long before it releases.

My advice is to get GrepWin and search in the MODS folder for the following phrases:
    ERA_RENNAISANCE
    FLAVOR_FOOD
    RESOUCE_FISH
    RESOURCE_JEWELERY
    RELIGION_CATHOLICISM
    CLCOSIJOEZAOR_CIV_APPROACH_IGNORE
    LEADER_COSIJOEZA
    PROMOTION_CANADASIEGE
    MINOR_CIV_COLOMBO (looks like CL: Malaysia)

And remove the mods that are responsible for them. These are all, effectively, null instances, and a null instance can cause CTDs. There are many more problems to be found in your Database log, but not all of them are clear. But removing these mods will hopefully give you some extra stability.

I can't diagnose crashes that I can't recreate, and if I can't recreate a crash (and I haven't crashed from CID in a long, long time), I'd say it's not caused by my mod alone. My advice is to deselect your mods, one by one (or whatever), until you find the culprit.

Hm, native attack is probably too close to Tribes. Inability to till an unfamiliar land is good - thanks.

You are my hero :D

10. Chrisy15

Chrisy15 Flower, Beautiful

Could you recreate the Hapeshthut bug to replicate closing borders? :p

11. Glowstrontium

Glowstrontium Chieftain

An update to earlier, it seems that the bug where I was unable to sell/delete buildings and units only occurs with EUI installed - without it, that feature works. There does seem to be quite a few bugs with the EUI version, with descriptions being wrong .etc, but that could also be down to the fact that I'm using CBP as well.

Also, that city turned out to be glitched for some reason. It had a permanent -537 food from buildings per turn, even after I deleted all buildings using IGE.

12. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

EUI.
    >there's your problem :p

I'll check and see if I can fix the sell/delete system.

Such cheek :p

13. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

It's a pity. EUI seems improved from the last version, but if it makes impossible to track bugs with so many mods, I wonder if it is worthy.

What I have experience is this:
    * In the trade window, avalaible routes, diseases are shown inversely. It says my city will receive 0.6 disease and I will send 2.2 when it is actually the opposite. Set trade route dialog is correct, though.
    *Colonies don't build anything, not even a single monument, therefore they don't expand and aren't useful. The only thing they seem to be able to build is a writer's guild, but they refuse, they prefer to dedicate production to farming or science.
    *Goddess of Love pantheon doesn't yield anything. I cannot say 100% accurate because I had my capital with 4 citizens, adquired the pantheon and then saw the city reduced to 1 citizen due to a disease, it grew again but no faith received.
    * The tooltip with happiness info doesn't fit the text. It is saying how my happiness needs may change due to technology, pop size and something more that I cannot read because there is not screen enough.
    * The aqueduct says it keeps 15% of food for next citizen and in the same tooltip, but downwards it says it keeps 40%.

I am trying CiD only with CPP and EUI. Several doubts arise. May I fight diseases or just live with it? If I stop growing, next plague is delayed, but I have fewer workers available. I understand that work on food only tiles and growing for the sake of it it's not a good idea, but I wonder if keeping the city not growing (using the mark) is ok. Also, my units seem to take the plague as well, I tried to use them to stop the plague, but they only seem to work towards loyalty. It says a infected unit will lower the threshold in the city if they are garrisoned, but I cannot say if this is good or bad.
    I started settling like crazy, as CPP teaches you, but then I noticed that the AI seemed content with 2-3 cities. Are they upset with low population or are they trying to build tall? It seems to me that the disease system favors shorter cities so I cannot understand AI behaviour.
    Grocery has been a surprise. I though it was a +15% growing, like CPP, but it gives +1 health to some luxuries, of which luckily I had one.
    I see that some buildings cost crime instead of money which is a nice change (sometimes I am very short on money). There are some new buildings to counter disease and crime, and less production overall due to diseases, what means that it is more difficult to get those buildings built: my symcity soul is angry for this but on the other hand it makes more important to choose the right buildings.
    The crime system is rather confusing to me. Jail reduces it by 10% but I am unsure of what it exactly means (is it a reduction for raw crime or for threshold crime?). And yes, crime costs me some yields, but there is nothing I can do but to build some anti-crime buildings when crime is excesive.
    'We love the king days' depends now on loyalty, but does it start also with fulfilled desires?
    Manor is just +1 culture and +1 defense, don't know why advisors are so crazy about getting it built ASAP.

14. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

CBP issues, although the Goddess of Love may be intentional, to prevent abuses.

That is what you're meant to decide based upon your circumstances. But you should not be trying to always prevent Plague, as that will cripple you (unless you happen to have plenty of Health).

A plagued unit will lower the threshold, which is bad, as the lower the threshold, the sooner a Plague will strike.

There is a civilopedia entry detailing how Crime works, as well as the wiki and my wordpress.

There is no Crime threshold, so the Jail reduces raw Crime. There is definitely more that you can do - you can push Crimes that are less concerning higher, forcing down Crimes that are more concerning (e.g., if you're worried about Fraud, build some Temples to push up Heresy and down Fraud).

Yes. It does not depend on Loyalty, Loyalty is merely an alternative means of acquiring a WLTKD.

It's not just +1 Culture and +1 Defense, its also +2 Bombard Range, +25% XP for Levies, +1 Gold for Villages, and +10% Border Growth.

15. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

First, thanks for your fast answer, specially with the forum hangs on. I've only read the wordpress, and overlooked wiki, no idea about civilopedia entries.
    So, if I produce a lot of science, it will increase fraud, and I can only lower it with buildings that lowers crime or fraud. At this point, crime only lowers yields a bit. If it passes the thershold, science buildings will give more crime and punish yields even more. And to avoid organized crime I need to balance yields so none of them is over 50%, oh well, balanced among the four organized crimes. That means in your example, if I have fraud over 50%, I could rise culture better than faith, because culture will lower both fraud and heresy, and your problem is counterfeiters; while increase in faith may lower fraud, but increase heresy, and counterfeiters may stay.

I believe the problem with the manor is that I am using a translated version, with CPP and latest EUI, so the tooltip isn't showing correctly for I only see +1 culture and +1 defense. Now, I see this is indeed a good building. I wonder if there are other tooltips not showing full info. I may try again in english and without EUI.

For plagues, for what you say I think a good strategy could be to empty garrisons the turn before a plague starts, unless I want some units to spread disease to my enemies.

I think that the happiness tooltip doesn't fit because it starts lower. In CPP it starts in the city banner (inside city screen) and here it starts in the city yields, some pixels below. It isn't gamebreaking, though.

I have a feeling that production is somehow lower than it used to be, and with so many new buildings left to build, I have like 3 buildings built and 12 buildable and a very small army (no hammers lost on units).

16. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

A bit of a PSA:

Due to the way in which I am doing events, using various sound effects and images, all CP: Events events, from across ExCE, CulDiv, RtP, CID, and possibly my civs, will be included in a new mod: JFD's Event Compendium. The EC will require all components (not civs) to be used (although initially it will only require CID, as only Province and Colonies events will be released at that time), and assumes that all default components are active. This allows me to share images, sound effects, and Lua functions across events, and because of the assumptions I make, relieves some of the labouriousness involved in supporting potentially different settings. EC will be released alongside v38 of CID. So far it includes 4 new events for Colonies and 27! new events for Provinces... help me...

17. Kesler

Kesler Master Kekkler

If we don't use EC (because we aren't using all of your main mods) does this mean your gameplay mods will now be devoid of events?

18. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

19. Kesler

Kesler Master Kekkler

I guess it's time to start liking attrition damage... :undecide:

20. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

You can disable individual components, but I won't accept reponsibility for any problems resulting, as, to make it clear, what's on by default is how I intend my mods to be played. However, I don't think Attrition will be a necessary component to have active for EC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.