City limits

Thanks for the answers. I knew that the purpose of the patch was to not have the AI raze towns, but I didn't know how the patch achieved this, so I wasn't sure about possible consquenses for the human player and the autoraze mechanism.

That's the greatest news since... uhm... the discovery of pottery!?

:) been waiting for such a gadget for years. Thank you very much for making this and sharing it!

Now, all we need is a way to get around the issue of adding more than 31 civilizations and I will bake you a cake and cookies :)

Btw, you seem to have some buds with real skill there. I wonder which other tricks they have on their sleeve - like raising other limits (4 eras, 31 civs, 128 wonders etc).

:mischief:

And don't forget the resources ;)

Yea, strange. Maybe Firaxis just didnt bother making the other 2 available. Guess it would take more than a hack to make that work.

One thing to remember about culture groups, is that even if more were to be enabled, there's no way of setting which graphics it uses for cities, what sounds it uses for diplomacy, or what the names of the barbarians from goody huts will be called for them...

Right, thats why I said it would probably take more than a hack, it would need a patch from Firaxis. I think we the civ3 community deserve that, we're the ones keeping the old game alive :)

we're the ones keeping the old game alive :)

I'm not sure if these greedy guys want that. They want us to buy new versions.

I have noticed in my most recent game (starting from scratch with this modified exe in place) that the ai is no longer building cities. We are all able to, but it seems the ai is unable to figure out to keep building more. There are huge open areas in the map with plenty of prime real estate and they arent bothering to build any settlers to go and populate the area. I have the optimal cities set to rediculous proportions, though corruption is still a bit of an issue with older governments, but still the ai seems to just have halted expansion. Guess this just limits this things usefulness to players who really want to build a ton of cities without regards to the ai or scenario makers.

Even the ai players with democracy (though be the best government corruption wise) just sit at their 30 or so cities.

-Ex0dus

If it is corruption that is stopping the ai players from building more cities further away, what then is the solution? I increased the optimal cities to 200 (not counting on any player having more than 50 or so cities, but figured it couldnt hurt), and put the multiplier up to 300% for the difficulty i play. In the early industial age (where I am at) my corruption is not half bad except in the farthest flung cities (more or less colonial cities on the opposite end of the map made solely to pick up resources).

I badly want the ai to fill up the map, just a matter of getting them to do it. Any suggestions?

-Ex0dus

I dont use 30 civs. I have myself and 16 ai (30 is just too much to keep up with from a diplomacy standpoint) and i would rather have the ai civs become relatively large so they can put up a good fight against me when the time comes ^_^

Ares: if you set something to auto produce settlers, will the ai actually use them properly if they are unwilling to make them otherwise?

-Ex0dus

I also dont like players starting anywhere near close to each other. I often find that when ai opponents get into early conflicts they tend to lag behind everyone else who didnt get into a war early. In an average game, i often dont find an ai until I am probably 75% of the way through the ancient age (and the ai rarely get ahold of each other much quicker than that). Lots of room, few early wars, large late wars are the way i like to do things ^_^

I just wiash that the ai actually kept building settlers.

-Ex0dus

So, do you guys have anything else planned? :D

I think one of the biggest letdown of the civilization is the 4% resource limit, meaning only 4% of the same tiles will be used for resources. I guess I read that somewhere here long time ago. This severely limits (eliminates) the sense of adding resources when you have a mod that utilizes only random map generation. Now if that limit were increased, then our earth should be heaven. So if one thing is planned I pray that it would be this thing. :)

Top Bottom